“A small, "Motel Six"-type rental, ocean front but NOT ocean view” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Side Court

Ocean Side Court
and 1 more site!
Ocean Side Court
Portland, Oregon
“A small, "Motel Six"-type rental, ocean front but NOT ocean view”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

One of the older, 'weathered' accommodations in Nags Head (built in the 70s?), and it shows in its lack of amenities. (Reminiscent of what rentals probably were like in the 70s, maybe early 80s.) I imagine vacancies are rare in the summer, in part because of price relative to newer rental properties and in part because it is oceanfront. HOWEVER, a caution for those who think oceanfront also means ocean views. A mix of efficiencies and 1-3 bedroom cottages, none have ocean views. The cottage closest to the walkway to the beach has a patch of ocean view if you are sitting on the screened-in porch, and possibly inside the cottage you might be able to see a patch of the ocean from one of the windows. But you are at least only steps away from the beach/ocean. Their advertisement says "private beach access," which I assume just means only guests can use the walkway to the beach, as the beach itself is public. My husband and I stayed in an efficiency, but one of the guests staying in a 2-bedroom cottage invited us in just to see what the cottages were like. They are surprisingly fairly roomy, nicely laid out; even the efficiencies are roomier than I would have thought, though the shower stall-only bathrooms in the efficiencies are small and dark. In fact, the efficiencies generally are kind of dark--few lamps/lights and the wood paneling is dark. (The cottages are a bit brighter.) Cottage or efficiency, there's a full-sized refrigerator, stove, cabinets. But utensils and dishware and cookware are sparse and obviously donations, either from yearly guests or perhaps from the managers of the property, and maybe the owner(s) as well. If you plan to do more cooking than eating out, though, you might want to bring a few pots and pans and the like with you. Dish rags and towels are supplied, but you'll need to bring your own detergent (none of the units have dishwashers), unless a previous guest left theirs (along with soap) behind on check-out. They do supply toilet paper (but not paper towels or trash bags). Bath towels and wash cloths are supplied, though pretty scratchy, old (or perhaps just cheap, like you'd find at a discount store). Sheets and pillowcases are clean but again, very thin, cheap. I would advise bringing your own pillow(s). And if you have any kind of back problems, you really might want to bring a cushion top. The mattresses are pretty awful (something several other guests we talked to complained of). I don't know if they are just really old or a discount brand, but they are really uncomfortable. My lower back hurt the entire week. (That is my biggest pet peeve anywhere I stay. A lousy mattress equals poor sleep and can really put a damper on your vacation. IMO of course, it is inexcusable to not provide quality mattresses and pillows, even if you skimp on everything else.)

The mattresses, actually, are indicative of the kind of property this is overall. The owners obviously keep expenses as low as possible to maximize profit. Nothing wrong with that, though as I said, I think at the very least some investment should be made when it comes to the mattresses. Who wants to go on vacation and sleep poorly every night because of cheap mattresses?

Our efficiency had only one small closet, in the bathroom. We were not happy about that, as any clothing you hang will have a slight musty smell. I would advise bringing fabric freshener. I would also advise bringing a power strip or two as there are few outlets, and none of the cottages or efficiencies have been brought into the electronic era (though at least the TVs are flatscreens). Weirdly, what outlets they do have were behind the bed or the lone dresser, obviously not easy to get to. So if you want to be able to charge your cell phone, or an iPad or Nook, anything that requires a current and the ability to charge something, I would advise bringing with you at least one power strip (we brought two, which I wound up being grateful for). As for Internet access, they DO offer wireless access, though it is spotty and weak, as the owner has not invested in a signal booster. In fact, the lumpy mattresses and the lack of a good wireless signal were the two things most of the other guests complained about.

As for the property managers, the wife, a Mrs. Irene, is a really nice woman, very friendly and interested in the guests, and knowledgeable about the Outer Banks in general. Her husband I did not talk to or interact with much except to exchange a polite "hello" in passing with each other, but he seems more... mercurial as one (regular apparently) guest put it. Not unpleasant, but the kind of person whose friendliness, apparently, depends on what mood he is in when you encounter him. Other than when we checked in and one day when we passed each other in the beach walkway, I did not see or talk to him, but his wife, she was a truly warm person--"a people person" as my husband would say.

But goodness, I did not intend to write such a long review! My husband and I travel often. He teases me that my reviews of accommodations are sometimes longer than our actual stay. I cannot help it; I really believe the quality of your accommodations can truly make or ruin a trip. So I will stop now and just say that if you are more a 4-star-ratings person, hooked on your iPad or computer or Nook, etc., you will not be happy here. You will for certain be miserable if you are prone to back problems. If you want ocean VIEW, this is not a good choice. But if you want some place quiet, steps from the beach/ocean, and don't want to spend a lot on accommodations, then this might be a good choice. So on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being "the best," I would rate this a 3. I don't think we would stay here again unless it was the only place with vacancies.

Room Tip: If you never leave home without your iPad or laptop or E-reader, etc., inquire about Internet access...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Spinning C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Concord MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I am baffled by the good reviews. We stayed in a two bedroom cottage for 2 nights in October 2013 and could not wait to leave. The cottage was not clean - hair in the shower, sticky kitchen counters, filthy rugs. The bedding was awful and very old - the sheets were pilled and the pillows were lumpy and crinkly. The whole cottage smelled like a horrible combination of mothballs and BenGay and many of the windows lacked screens so there was no way to air it out. The walls are decorated with nasty signs reminding you that you need to take out the trash, not flush paper towels, etc. For the price, we were not expecting luxury accomodations but this was the worst place we have ever stayed. Would not stay here again if you paid me.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 717Tandem

Travellers are raving about these Nags Head hotels

Pikeville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

I called on very short notice and Mrs. Irene got us hooked up for my 50th Birthday on June 7th. The room made you feel at home as soon as we walked in the door. When we arrived we had a "Personalized Name Plate" in front of our "little home-a-way-from-home". THAT was a first !!!! We will be going back for a week in the fall and EVERY chance we get in between. We got a efficiency room and we have had "those" before and WE have learned to take the things we will need with us. NOT THE CASE HERE !!!!! Completely furnished with anything you will need ! We could walk barefooted from our unit straight out to the beach. This is private property and there is "NO PUBLIC BEACH ACCESS" . You are like a little family with everyone there while you are here. Love Mrs. Irene and Mr. Scott !!

Room Tip: I would take any room open !
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Leigh W
Hartfield, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

Ditto on all counts, by far the best value on the beach.
Good luck trying to make a reservation, they stay booked up a year in advance so that should tell you something.
Not a place that's going to welcome loud partys, so just come relax and enjoy what nature has to offer.

Room Tip: All the cabins are within 100 ft. of the ocean so there all good.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Joecaption
danville,va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

I actually hesitate to write this review because this place is such a gem it could be a mistake to alert other people to its existance ! This is a small complex of 11 units or cottages, including efficiencies, 1,2,and 3 bedroom units. They all circle around a private parking lot. It is like a small self-contained community. My sister and I found it by accident a few years ago when we stayed overnight at a chain motel in the area and we decided to give it a try the next time we traveled to the Outer Banks.

The first time we stayed for two nights in one of the efficiencies but when another guest showed us her cabin we immediately made reservations (a year in advance !) for that cabin for a week. The only week available that fit our schedule was at the end of October 2011. Oh, my, what a fabulous week it was ! I have never been much of a beach lover but that week definitely changed my mind.
The cabin we chose is probably the most popular one, just steps from the sand. We could see the waves from the enclosed front porch and were able to practically step from our beds out to photograph the spectacular sunrises every morning. In October the beach is pretty much deserted except for a few hardy fishermen or beachcombers but the weather was often lovely enough for long walks or sitting in a folding chair and enjoying the sounds of the surf and thousands of migrating birds .
The cabins are fully equipped with kitchen utensils, bedding supplied once a week, fresh towels every 2 days if you leave the soiled ones outside (no one comes into your cabin). Color TV,AC, comfortable beds, baseboard heat in main areas, small portable heaters for the bedrooms.
Immaculately clean, more privacy than you would expect with the units placed so close together. A really nice touch is that the owners put a wooden sign on the outside of your cabin with your name on it if you stay for a week or more. We have found other guests to be very friendly & respectful of other's privacy. Even during a motorcycle rally the first time we stayed, it was very quiet.
We used the AC twice during the day last October, and had to turn on the heat the last 2 days. We were pleasantly surprised to find that it was very sufficient since we had brought our own heater and heavy blankets (they remained in the car).
There is an outdoor shower & a fish cleaning station for those who need them. Scott and Irene are fabulous hosts, always ready with suggestions about where to eat or where to go. There was a bit of a "Nor'easter" the last 2 days we were there (OH, how magnificent the ocean was !) and Scott hosed down our car before we left because it was covered in sand. The folks who bring the fresh towels & clean the cabins are super nice, too, and we got hugs all around when we left.
Of course we made reservations again for the same week (all that was available !) again this October before we left and we have spent 10 months anticipating another week of bliss. I have NEVER felt so relaxed and at peace as I have at Ocean Side Court.

Room Tip: Don't pick the one closest to the sand- that's OURS!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,402 reviews
Outer Banks Inn
Outer Banks Inn
#10 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Ocean Side Court? Share your experiences!