“A terrible experience.”

Fin 'N Feather Waterside Inn
Winchester, Virginia
“A terrible experience.”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This is one of my worst travel experiences, ever. I booked a two bedroom condo for my extended family in a stop over prior to our week long stay in a cottage on Hatteras Island. The website advertised a two bedroom condo and showed what I would expect in a small condo-a small living room/kitchen and two bedrooms. When we arrived, I found two rooms, one with a bed and the other with a bed, less than a foot away, a sofa, and in the corner a fridge and microwave. I also found a closet full of old linens and comforters and other stuff. Given the composition of our family group, this configuration was impossible. I first contacted the rental company that manages the property who could not or would not do anything to remedy the problem (such as providing another room or making a cost adjustment). I made the reservation through Travelocity and then spent about two hours on the phone with them until we were finally able to cancel the reservation and find another hotel. Meanwhile, the dust and pet hair caused some members of our group discomfort. The cost assessed for this room is outrageous given that it really was just a two bedroom suite. While the management staff I reached on the phone was very nice and seemed to sincerely want to help, the failure to provide what we were promised plus the horrible response by Travelocity combined to create a really terrible travel experience. As you can see, I've traveled all over the world and stayed in all sort of places and I can't recall ever being this dissatisfied with a hotel experience.

Room Tip: If, after reading this review you still decide to stay at this place, be sure to book directly with...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Elizabeth23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We recently booked what was promoted as a two room condo with three beds. When we arrived, there was a one bedroom condo, with a sofa bed and a bed in the living room/kitchenette, this making it an efficiency. On the website, they do offer two different efficiency options. Therefore, they obviously are trying to market this efficieny incorrectly as a two bedroom condo to make more money. With the group we were travelling with, we were unable to all stay in the living room as such. As there is no onsite management, we contacted the offsite staff who told us they would rent us another room at full price in addiiton to the one we already had booked. This would have been much more expensive than any other option in the area. So, we went through the two hour long process of cancelling our reservation as they offerred no other solution. Additionally, there were dirty linens in plastic bags in the front hall closet and the dog hair was thick on the furniture. It also is odd that they would advertise a kitchen when there are no coffee cups or kitchen utencils and that a kitchen is only a microwave and mini fridge with a bed beside it. I would never recommend for someone to stay in this terrible establishment.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank elexaw

Travellers are raving about these Nags Head hotels

Washington, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a two-night stay. Comfortable, clean, nice view of the water. The man on duty, Dave, made everything easy. My wife had business. The dog and I just chilled. Great TV, plenty of room to walk the dog, comfy bed.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Henry C
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We were making a last-minute weekend trip to the Outer Banks, and we wanted to bring our small dog, so we had some difficulty finding a place which seemed acceptable, and which would accommodate our pet. We finally located Fin 'N Feather online and it seemed reasonable - particularly for the price. Be advised, this location is not a full-service hotel. It is a vacation rental property, so while it will be fully-furnished, and includes a kitchenette, there is no daily cleaning service or other hotel amenities, and you are expected to wash the dishes before you check out, etc. We knew that going in, so that was not an issue for us. Some of the negative comments in other reviews seemed to be based upon an expectation that this property was a hotel or motel, and that is probably understandable, since the online information does not seem entirely clear about that. Also be advised that, while some of the rooms are good-sized, some are also quite small. We got a small room, but were also aware of that going in. As already noted, we were just there for a last-minute weekend trip, so weren't in a position to be too picky.

The room was clean and well-maintained. Again, given that we knew it would be small and simple, we weren't expecting much, and frankly, considering the price we paid, I wasn't really even expecting it to be as nice as it was. The location is a short drive (about 2 miles) to the stores and restaurants of Nags Head.

My only real disappointment was that, upon making the reservation, I specifically requested a ground-floor room, due to the fact that I could tell from the online information that the property was two-story and there was no elevator. One of our party has a disability and difficulty with stairs. I was told that a ground-floor room was available, and would be reserved for us. When we arrived, our room was on the second floor, and our disabled person had to navigate stairs, which were quite difficult. Since the manager is not on duty 24/7 and we arrived late in the evening, there was nothing to do but go ahead with the second-story room. Not necessarily a deal-killer, but only because it was a very short stay. It was, however, very disappointing to arrive expecting a ground-floor room as promised, only to find that was not the case. Absent that disappointment, I would have given them a higher rating, based largely on the price paid.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank WynneWoody
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We recently booked two nights at the Fin 'n Feather Waterside Inn, Nags Head, on the strength of the reviews both on Trip Advisor and another travel site. On the positive side, the space was nicely decorated, the bed was comfortable and there was a cute little ante room behind the kitchenette where you could view the sound while having a meal at the bar height table and chairs. The big disappointment was when we got to the bathroom. It was straight out of the 1950's complete with 1950's grunge. The grout was full of mildew, there were holes in the tile where fixtures had been removed and the shower wall was patched with a vinyl floor tile. They did a really nice job of the trex decking and small pier out to the sound. Too bad they didn't put the money into bringing the bathroom up to the standard of the rest of the suite. If you needed anything in the way of clean linens, there was never anybody around to help you. Will probably not stay there again.

2 Thank leftync
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I had always seen this cute little place on the sound and was curious. We finally reserved a room and saw that it is more of a place for fishermen and boaters. On an outside deck there were a few people fishing. There was a ramp for a boat. The room was very small but nice and clean and decorated in a beachy theme. It did have a super comfy bed. We had a small refrigerator and microwave, sink and some dishes. An adequate efficiency. However, the room was so small that the flat screen tv was positioned on the wall beside the bed, making viewing awkward, to say the least. The ice machine was down the outside hall along with a vending machine. There was no ice bucket to carry the ice, however...no real big deal, but just the same. There was no road noise or problems with hearing through the walls. No complaints, really.

I found out that I prefer to stay on the beach and to see the ocean instead of the sound. If you don't really care about that, then this is a nice place to stay with reasonable rates. This is a no frills kind of place that would be good for a day or two, not a week's stay, in my opinion.

Room Tip: Get a room with more than one bed. Those rooms are much larger! And definitely get a room with a vi...
1 Thank tippysu
Tennessee
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The hotel is located right on the sound just across the bridge from Roanoke island. It is super easy to find and convenient to everything. On the plus side, the fenced in dock in back is great, we stayed a week and I spent a great deal of time sitting on the benches there listening to the sound while I read or had a cup of coffee. The room was very clean when we first got there, and never saw a sign of roaches, bed bugs, palmetto bugs, ants or spiders. In fact the only bugs I saw at all were a few tiny flies that were either small fruit flies or large gnats but totally harmless. The bed was comfy. The manager for most of the days we were there was very friendly. The hotel is convenient to shops, restaurants and tons of beaches, Jenette's pier, Nags Head, Manteo, Kill Devil Hills, and Kitty Hawk. It is slightly farther, but still not a bad trip to Wanchese, Duck, Southern Shores, and Corolla. The only place that is truly a long way away is Hatteras and Oracoke. On the negative side, it was only cleaned once during our 7 day stay, when we went and got the manager and asked him to clean it. We had to go ourselves to get fresh towels, coffee packs, and garbage bags when we needed them. Our room was also tiny. It barely had room for the bed, furniture, and kitchenette in it. The front and back rooms are very large. My husband looked in the windows, but there are two rooms on the side, one upstairs one down, the one downstairs, room 4 is where we stayed. There was no chair or desk, just the bed, a dresser, two night stands with lamps and an alarm clock, a hand sink and a kitchenette with a dishes sink, microwave, and minifridge, and a large flatscreen tv mounted to the wall. There was no closet and the dresser was tiny and the drawers stuck. The water pressure in the shower was terrible and I had to turn the hot water full to get warm and if other people were using the water the hot would go out entirely. It was also too light in the room, there were slatted blinds but no heavy curtains to block out the sun when we wanted to sleep in. Also, the amount charged to our credit card was more than the total price quoted to us when we booked by about 30 dollars. This may have been the hotel or it may have been the service we booked through, but we didn't argue over it since were lucky to find any openings for the dates and length of time we wanted. All in all, it is a find place to sleep and rest up if you just need a room. If you want anything in the way of cleaning service or amenities though, you might want to look elsewhere. The shower is the only serious issue. I would probably stay again, but I would insist on the larger room.

Room Tip: Do not choose room 4 or the upstairs room above it. Make sure you insist on a room in front or in b...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nags Head
#1 of 13 in Nags Head
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
#13 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Fin 'N Feather Waterside Inn? Share your experiences!