Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Terrible
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Milltown, New Jersey
“Black Mold and Ants”
Reviewed 6 October 2016 for a stay in September 2016
people found this review helpful

We have vacationed in the Outer Banks for a number of years now…it is one of our destinations of choice. This year marked our 25th Wedding Anniversary and we wanted to do it up special, so we decided to have a vow renewal by the ocean. Well, we went with a different rental agency – Outer Banks Blue – actually never heard of them before but I received an email so I decided to check them out. We picked, what we thought was a lovely home on the beach in Nags Head. Now two years before, we rented from another agency and that house was located very near this one and we had absolutely no issues with this home. We rented Looking Glass for a two week vacation. When we first walked in to the home on Saturday, there was a musty smell. My husband thought it was just because the house was older and that we would get used to it. When we got to the kitchen, I noticed ant traps all around and ants crawling all over the counter tops (I even found dead ones in the refrigerator and freezer!). We also noticed that a lot of the windows had sand on the inside of them, yet the windows were shut. We found our bedroom on the third floor, which faces the ocean – and had a beautiful view and a very comfortable bed. I received an email from Outer Banks Blue asking if we found everything to our satisfaction. I mentioned the ants and gave my cell phone number to them to contact me should someone come out…someone came out the Sunday, but never called me and my 25 lb dog was loose in the house, so they did not come inside but they said that they sprayed the outside of the house. We contacted Blue and said we were never informed of this and that if we were notified our dog would have either been with us or in our bedroom with the door closed. So each day we went out, we closed our dog in our room, but no one came back. Now on a few nights we had rain and noticed that our carpet was wet, water was leaking in from the sliding glass door and going under the carpet…that was the smell. We also noticed that the room next to ours had a closed sliding door but the curtains were moving as if the door was open. We went physically to the rental agency on Tuesday and told them about the ants (again!) and about the water under the carpet. The exterminator came back on Tuesday and did the inside (but again we were not notified ahead of time). On Thursday morning I went to Urgent Care because my right ear was totally blocked (two weeks later and it is still closed) and was told I had a sinus infection (which I never get). We also, received a call in the afternoon that a maintenance man was coming to check out the house. He informed us that the owners of the home needed to do upgrades because it was an older home but neglected to do so. As we walked around and inspected different things I noticed on the ceiling below our bedroom had black mold, hence my sinus infection and the smell. So we were sleeping in a moldy room and keeping my dog locked up in there when we went out. The rental agency was called immediately and we were told that until they could reach the owner we would need to spend another night in the house. We agreed, what choice did we have? The next day I signed a new contract for Ivey’s Lair in Duck. Not oceanfront but within walking distance. We were compensated for the difference in price from Looking Glass. Ivey’s Lair was beautiful, clean and no mold or ants and we were able to enjoy the rest of our vacation. My question is: why didn’t someone notice the mold earlier and the sand in the windows? To me this was negligence on the rental agency and the owner of Looking Glass. Also, my husband and I never complained or caused any problems with them, we put up with black mold and ants until we were moved to another house after six days. And, to cap it all off – once we were home, I received a call from Outer Banks Blue informing me that when the cleaning crew went into Ivey’s Lair to clean, they found pet feces in one the downstairs bedrooms and that we had to send them a check for $65.00 for cleaning. Now, of course we take complete responsibility for what our dog did and sent them their check without issue. I will never, ever use or recommend Outer Banks Blue to anyone and if you’ve booked Looking Glass, I would change my reservation in a heartbeat and also switch agencies. Thank you!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Being on the ocean
Liked least: The ants and black mold
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Lori B
Fairfax, Virginia
“6 hours of banging, sawing and workmen thru house”
Reviewed 22 March 2016 for a stay in March 2016
people found this review helpful

This house is very nice. However the first morning we awoke to a leak in the ceiling over the kitchen. By about 1pm it developed into a major problem. Soon three men were hammering, sawing, banging to fix the problem. After six hours of that, they finished. Yes, the roof was leaking, yes it needed to be repaired, but they would not compensate us a penny for the major upheaval this caused to our "vacation" at the beach. The owner was rude and seemingly unaware that we did not come to the house to vacation with him, but to get some time away as a family. The rental agency, Outer Banks Blue, was similar unhelpful, pointing to the "legal" requirements that state they can have up to 24 hours to fix something without any requirement to compensate you. I stated simply that I have requirements on my end of the contract, which were to return the place to the way I found it, take trash out, etc. That they also have requirements, to provide us with a home that is free from six hours of men wandering all through my daughters bedroom fixing leaks. They would hear nothing of it. I think my request was extremely reasonable. They did offere we could stay another day for free, which would be nice if we could do it. We have to get home, though, and simply can't do that. So, while that might seem kind, it was of no use at all to us, and we are the ones who were put out. I will never rent from Outer Banks Blue again.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked least: The horrible customer service
Travelling group: Teenagers
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
28 Mar 2016
Lori, We regret that you had a bad experience during your stay in this property. Looking Glass is a very popular 5 bedroom oceanfront property with an excellent rental history. Sometimes things go wrong and no one is at fault, but where we tried to shine is in how quickly we tried to remedy the problem. We hope your next stay is a better experience. All the best!

Travellers are raving about these Nags Head hotels

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing