“Perfect Old School Get Away”
Review of Sea Foam Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nags Head
Sea Foam Motel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed at the Sea Foam Easter weekend and just recently in June. Both visits were great. If you are looking for an old school beach experience this is the place to book. We've been staying at various motels in Nags Head since I was a teenager and the Sea Foam is my favorite by far.

No frills, but just what you need - a place to crash while you're swimming, dining or just enjoying the beach.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the ocean make sure you're on the top floor. First floor views are blocke...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sara W

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Last year my girlfriends and I had a long Labor Day weekend at the Sea Foam. This year we had a bachelorette weekend and decided to stay at the Sea Foam again (same group of girls). After our recent weekend stay, we decided to make this an annual event! We love the Sea Foam and it has become the only motel we will stay in at OBX. You can't beat the rates for the location. The owners are just awesome people and very laid back. Rooms are dated with wood paneling, but we love it and think it totally adds to the vacation. It's probably in the best location on beach road -short walk to all kinds of attractions. It's also oceanfront. Last year we had an oceanfront room which we loved, but this year we had two efficiency rooms and now that's where we plan on staying year after year. The efficiencies are large enough to comfortably fit 4 people and all their stuff, plus groceries. Thank you to all the Sea Foam staff for helping male out vacations totally worthwhile - we can't wait to come back every year. Well actually see you again in 3 weeks for a spontaneous trip since we had so much fun last weekend!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed three nights in room 37, top floor of the motel. I had read the reviews, some good, some bad, and want to put in my 2 cents too. The best thing about the hotel is the location, right on a beautiful beach, so that part was wonderful.
Hotel is old and very run down. Private lanai, sorta, had wooden plywood inbetween other guest lanai, not floor to ceiling, but well spaced. First arrived on June 3, 2014 and toilet paper roll had about 30 sheets left and none stocked. No shampoo or lotions either, just two small hotel sized bars of soap. Had to ask for more toilet paper, gal said it is in basket on back of toilet-no-not there. Next day we were gone all day long and came back and room was not tidied up, towels still left on floor, etc. Had to ask for it to be tidied up, but maids gone for the day. Asked for clean towels at least and guy said they were locked up and did not have the key. Finally we received some towels. No coffee maker in the room. Big coffee pot downstairs in the ice/pop machine room.
Lots that could be done to make travelers happy at the cost of $180.00 a day, very poor service indeed. We had a lot of fun touring around seeing beaches, light houses but was not impressed at all over the hotel.

Room Tip: The bathroom was just remodeled in this room, so that part was nice, but not too good of a remodelin...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ronnijenni2
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Great location, had a ball. Loved walking right out onto the beach. The place is a little pricey for its kinda run down, but I guess Its worth it to be right on the water.I would recommend taking your own blankets if your funny like me. I was a little dissapointed We could not see the water from the lower level but I loved that we could open the back screen door at night and listen to the ocean. The staff on the other hand , I did not have much contact with but the gentleman who took our reservations on the phone is super slow with not much personality and I am sure it was the same one who checked us in. The lady who took our key when we checked out was sure to tell me we were the last ones and it was before the 11 o'clock check out time. I figured as much as we paid for the place I was going to enjoy it till the end. All in all I would go back strickly for the location. After all I was there for the beach not the room. Oh and the beds are pretty uncomfortable.

Room Tip: if you want to see the ocean choose upper floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2013

If you are looking for new, bright and shiny then continue down the road. But if you want to experience old-time beach living the Sea Foam is for you. Large rooms well maintained with microwaves and fridges. There are also efficiencies for those who want to cook. Private balconies on the 2nd floor overlooking the ocean. The staff is helpful and friendly. You certainly can pay more to stay on the beach at Nags Head but I don't think it would be possible to do better. We have been doing The Sea Foam for 25 years.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Neil O
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Had two room there this past weekend... One had no heat for a very chilly weekend , the other the TV only gave you a pink color NO clear picture.. The bath rooms were in very bad shape , could not adjust the water, mattress on beds worn out and to top it off had neighbors that party late into the night and then up at the crack of dawn. This was the first time we have ever stayed there and it will be our LAST !!!!

Room Tip: No tips first time our family has stayed there !!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda R
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We just spent 3 nights here in room 39. Room has an awesome view of the ocean and Jennette's Pier (just a block or two down the beach). Room and bathroom appeared clean. Room was comfortable enough for my family of four. Had good size refrigerator (not a mini but not full-size either). Wi-fi signal was not the strongest at times but then again neither is mine at home. Room sorta smelled a little musty when we first entered. I discovered later on that the musty smell was coming from the air conditioning. The weather this past weekend wasn't great at all so A/C was not really needed and I had turned it off before leaving the room. When we returned I noticed that the musty smell was gone. Turned the fan on the unit on another day when we left and had the musty smell when we returned so we kept it off the rest of the time. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Swimming pool out front looked nice but weather wasn't fit to get in it. Also had a couple of swing sets out front, shuffle board area and corn hole boards. It may not be the top of the line as far as motels go in that area but it's definitely not the bottom either I don't think according to some others I seen. I think a lot of your overall impression depends on what you are use to staying in or the type of home you actually live in. The Sea Foam is actually a historic place so the building is not what I would call fresh and/or new. It is probably one of the oldest motels that previous hurricanes have not claimed. Room and the room decor is dated but still was satisfactory for us.

Overall, we were satisfied with our experience there. It's not pricey (for those with a limited budget for a room like ours kinda was at the time we booked lol) and if you stay on the second floor you have a great ocean view. Access to the beach is right out the door basically. In fact, if you stay on the first floor, the sand dunes block the view of the ocean. Tanger Outlet Mall is about a block over directly in front of the motel and is easily within walking distance. There's a small grocery store a couple of blocks up. Some restaurants within walking distance also. If you have AAA, you can get a reduction in the room rate once you check in and show them your card. If you're staying for a short time (3-4 days maybe) this would probably work out well as it did for us.

Room Tip: Second level rooms on back side have great view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#12 of 13 in Nags Head

Been to Sea Foam Motel? Share your experiences!