“Roach, unable to shower, no one cared....”
Review of Sea Foam Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nags Head
Sea Foam Motel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Reviewed 24 July 2014

During my husband's shower, he was constantly scalded & frozen by the variant water temperature. We called the front desk at 6pm and were sent to voicemail. I left a message asking for assistance with the water temp. I also explained on my voicemail that we have an infant and a child that we are unable to bathe for fear of scalding water. At 9:10pm, I called back again, but they had closed at 9pm. I left another voicemail stating we needed assistance and were unable to bathe our children. I also explained we were a bit upset by the large cockroach we found in the bathroom.
I had hoped that someone would be spot checking messages overnight in case a guest needed assistance, but we received no call. It was a sleepless night. (not to mention the drop ceiling that lifted up when the breeze came through- we could just envision bugs falling on us in our sleep).
The next morning, we packed up as fast as we could. Still, no one had called us back (husband had been in our room the whole time, waiting for someone to come). At 8:56am, I went to the office. There were staff inside but they still had their CLOSED sign flipped. The door was unlocked, so I entered. (was told they don't open until 9am; what kind of hospitality doesn't open until 9 in the morning!?)
I explained the entire situation. The gentleman at the desk was not able to explain any of my issues nor why no one called or came to check on us. As for the roach, one of the girls said, “Oh, that’s a water bug.” I told her we had it trapped in the bathroom for them to inspect. I did a little research & turns out- what they call ‘water bugs’ are Palmetto bugs which are roaches. They ran my card, offering no discounts for our night of misery. Can you imagine spending a day at Busch Gardens in 85 degree heat with sweat & bugs and not being able to get your kids clean, then send them to bed when you know there are bugs? I asked that a manager call me. Surprise, surprise- no one ever called.
Now, we aren’t used to fancy rooms with high end amenities. We stayed a night at the Holiday Inn and felt like it was the Ritz. That being said, this was our worst vacation experience ever.
Oh, and there was a stray cat with kittens running about outside our room all night!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank lgraceme

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Sea Foam Motel is a pleasant change from the predictable, cookie-cutter hotel/motel chains. The motel is located on a beautiful stretch of beach and is close to Jennette Pier and plenty of great restaurants. The next time we're in Nags Head, we plan to book a room at the motel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Repeat customer; stayed in a bottom floor room, with a room above us. Floors are weak, heard people walking and running above us all week. Shower water is a potluck, goes from hot to cold back to warm, constantly. Bathroom sink leaked underneath. (instead of replacing sink, it is painted!) Carpet in room smells musty; most likely black mold underneath, as was on ceiling in bathroom. Some days room was cleaned early, other days in the afternoon (and we did use the clean room now hand-tag every morning as we left the room). Pool water was muggy when we arrived on Saturday, and eventually they closed it on Thursday; it remained closed even when we checked out on Saturday. No free WI-FI for 4 days. Rusted a/c units in windows, no chairs available outside our room. Television had a blue/green haze to the picture. Fridge had no door on the freezer top area. For 3 days hoses were left strung across the walkway to the gazebo, just waiting to trip people; promises made by cleaning staff not followed through. Gazebo stayed covered with sand and the steps to the beach were all sand. Gutters rotting off edge of roof; entire motel needs facelift. Seafoam is in bad shape, guess that's what happens with new management.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank buggin00
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is not a fancy place, it is on the beach! Walk out of your room and you are there. I have been staying here every year for the pat 10 years. There have definitely been some upgrades. If you want maid service you have to put your door hanger out by 9 am or you. Are out of luck. This motel comes without extras like small bottles of shampoo or body wash or hair dryer so be sure to bring your own.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Diane S
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is the only place we stay in OBX! An old school feel right on the ocean is the perfect getaway. The view is amazing, the staff is friendly, and the rooms are always clean. Every vacation has been a great experience thanks to Sea Foam!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I love the Sea Foam Motel, It's what old Nags Head is all about. Don't expect a chain motel with a restaurant etc. This place is meant for those who truly love being on the beach and use the room to sleep and shower. The staff is awesome, rooms are clean. Kid friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Penni B
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Family friendly older motel with oceanfront rooms, swimming pool, and a great staff. If you like fishing its walking distance to the Nags Head Fishing Pier.They go out of their way to make your beach vacation a great memory and if your like me you will return. Because of their great rates we often make multiple trips during the season.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#12 of 13 in Nags Head

Been to Sea Foam Motel? Share your experiences!