“The Best Place in Nags Head”
Review of Colonial Inn

Colonial Inn
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Trinity, NC
“The Best Place in Nags Head”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My family and I stayed in your hotel at the end of July. The staff was so friendly and made us feel so welcomed when we got there. Our room was clean and had everything we needed to make our vacation great. It was so close to the beach and the pool was great. Our air conditioner went out while we were there, and someone was in our room within an hour to have it fixed. I can not wait to come back and visit again.

Room Tip: Both times we have stayed there we have stayed across from the pool. We have been very happy with ou...
1 Thank Melissa A
colonialinnmotel, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Thank you so much for your comment, we really do appreciate each and every one of them. We feel you are part of our family when you come here and are sad to see each of you go. We hope you will return soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
South Carolina, USA
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My family and I stayed at Colonial Inn for 10 days in July. We had such a great time!

Everyone at this hotel were beyond friendly! The lovely ladies at the front desk, housekeeping, & the maintence guys, were all very helpful & willing to go out of their way to answer any questions we had.

It was priceless for me to finally find a hotel on the beach where my dog was not only welcomed, but totally loved on by the entire staff!

The location was perfect! It is right next to the pier, which has a great restaurant! (crab dip!) The beach is just steps away & never had an over crowed feel to it.

The hotel itself is 65 years old! I think the fact that it has been around this long speaks for itself! It has survived "ocean life" all these years! If you are wanting luxury accommodations, this may not be the place for you. If you are looking for a nice, safe, friendly, reasonably priced hotel, then stay here!! It very hard to find another hotel of this quality, for this price.

The rooms (we stayed in 3 different rooms) were all nice, clean, & cool! The air conditioning worked great! The hotel has a continental breakfast, & it is that, continental! The coffee is excellent & they also offer juice, danishes, bagels, & muffins. It you are expecting a full breakfast, go to a restaurant. They provide what they say... continental. It's good! (It bothers me when people complain about getting what it clearly states the hotel provides.)

I have read other reviews, both before & after our stay. The hotel has under-gone a renovation, and while it may not be suited for some travelers who expect the lap-of-luxury, it was a great fit for us! We loved our stay! I was "shocked" to read a review that said there were bugs in the pool. Imagine... bugs in a pool, at the ocean.... Shocking, huh! ;) This is a family/pet-friendly hotel, which is kept clean, super friendly, & reasonably priced!!

We were sad to see our trip come to an end, it felt like I was leaving friends! I am happy to say, I just rebooked for next week!!

Can't wait to see you guys! -Luci Simpson

2 Thank Luci S
We wanted to thank you for wonderful comments about us here on Tripadvisor! Thank you for your loyal defense and kindness that you showed us. We appreciate all that you said and can't wait to see you again and again and again!!
Sterling, VA
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My wife and I stayed here last weekend with our two dogs. The price was fair and the ratings were good. We arrived to an unwelcoming front desk clerk. She seemed to think she was doing us a favor by checking us in. Our room was dark and had gaudy drapes and bedding. The toilet needed to be flushed 2-3 times to work. Parking is cramped. The pool was the nicest thing, until I realized it was filthy and had to clean it myself with the net. I netted some bugs and a used bandaid in the deep end near the filter. The air conditioner was rusted out and must have been at least 20 years old. The "continental" breakfast consisted of prefrozen mini danishes and stale bagels with no toaster available. I guess I can't expect much for around $150 per night on a weekend. Next time, I will splurge and rent a name brand hotel with a solid reputation. This place is in urgent need for renovation and customer service training. What happened to "Southern Hospitality"?

Room Tip: Go to a name brand hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
colonialinnmotel, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 12 August 2012
We welcome all comments as it helps us to get better in all areas. I can't apologize enough for your welcome and am taking steps to ensure that this doesn't happen again. As I have stated before in previous comments, we are getting ready to do another renovation this winter inside the rooms as well as working on plans for the parking lot. We are endeavoring to rectify these as we progress. We hope that in the furture you will give us another chance.

Travellers are raving about these Nags Head hotels

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed 6 August 2012

This was our tenth family vacation to stay at the Colonial Inn, and we've enjoyed each time.This year on the way down, we had car trouble with one of our vehicles, and sent our 3 young adults ahead to check in. Not only were they allowed to check in before us, but we were asked how the motel could help us. Upon arrival, the apartment was clean and comfortable. The morning coffee and continental offerings were enjoyable; the pool was clean and large. The beach access is just steps away. The office staff and housekeeping staff (who have been there as long as we've been going there--Hi Pinky and Anna), are friendly and very accommodating. It was nice to have WiFi at the pool, although we did have some internet access in the apartment as well. The price was reasonable and affordable. The clientele are people with whom you feel safe. Bikes and Stand-up paddleboards were safe outside our room. It is an older facility, but it is well kept and in the process of being renovated. The new TVs in each room were very nice.Although parking is tight and parking spaces are narrow--larger vehicles (SUV, trucks) will have trouble with the small spaces--, and the overflow is 1/2 mile away, if the motel has vacancies, it is possible to find parking spots. Hint: during the day, you can park in the beach access next door for short periods of time; DO NOT PARK IN THE BEACH ACCESS OVERNIGHT! Special thanks to Kerri who goes out of her way to help you enjoy your stay at the Colonial! If you expect an immaculate grand hotel, the Colonial is not for you. If you want a comfortable, sit back, and put up your feet place, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: 7 B is great for large groups; we downsized to 19 this year, which worked, but was a little tight.
1 Thank Kathy R
Thank you so much for your comments. Each year we love seeing our family return to us as you do. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and want you to know how much we enjoy all of you coming to us each year. We are so happy that we could help you in any way and can't wait for you all to return next year. Thank you again and we miss you already!
PA
Reviewed 3 August 2012

The manager of this motel could not have been any nicer. I feel sure I will be staying there again in the future & I will recommend it to all my friends. Close to the beach, shopping, pier & dining. Nice refreshing pool & coffee/juice/tea with fruit & pastries in the morning.

Room Tip: The middle of the line room is spacious enough for 4 people.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MissPattyPa
Thank you for your kind words, I have shared them with our staff. We were so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to you returning to us soon!
Chesapeake, VA
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Stayed at the Colonial Inn for one night, Saturday, July 28 and paid $193. I rated the cleanliness poor because of stains on the bed spread and dirt on the floor of the bathroom. I gave the room an average rating because it was very, very small, had warped paneling, no exhaust fan in the bathroom, an alarm clock that didn't work, and a generally worn appearance offset by good use of the available space including a large flat screen TV, a small table and two chairs, a microwave, and a refrigerator that actually froze the bottle of water I put in it. Sleep quality was very good. We had a comfortable bed with a good air conditioner that provided just the right amount of "white noise". The location is excellent, right on the beach. Service was also excellent. Without going into details, Kerri (manager) was the best. I rated the value poor, because I don't think our experience was worth the price we paid. The parking is so ridiculously tight that I actually had to get in on the passenger side and crawl over the console. Kerri says they are in the process of renovating, which is good, so perhaps I'll give them another try in the future. It wasn't a terrible experience, just not worth the money I paid.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank McSlaughter
We thank you for your comment as each one helps us to improve in some way. We are in the process of trying to plan a renovation of the parking, however it is difficult when you only have so much space to work with. We are also planning another in room renovation this winter in which we will be updating the rooms such as painting, linens, etc. We do hope that you will return to us next year and view these improvements.
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Listen, this is a basic beachfront hotel. If you are looking for something high end, you should look elsewhere. I've definitely been to fancier places that had more modern features, but not nearly at this price point. The location is excellent. It is a calm place to bring the kids. The people who work here seem to really care about the place and that you have a nice time and that is really what I want out of a beach trip. I would gladly recommend this place to friends and family who just want a clean room by the beach with everything you need.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kiljoy
colonialinnmotel, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
We thank you so much for your kind words. As we have stated before, we are 65 years old and very proud of that. We also pride ourselves on striving every day to make sure your stay is the best that it can be. We again thank you and look forward to seeing you return soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nags Head
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,473 reviews
Outer Banks Inn
Outer Banks Inn
#8 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!