“Pleasant and affordable”

Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Montréal
“Pleasant and affordable”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My boyfriend, brother and I stayed in a 2-bedrooms cottage in June and we had a really pleasant experience. The rooms were clean, air conditioning worked perfectly, staff was helpful, our location wasn't noisy at all, the beach is footsteps away. The only little deception, and it is minor, is that the complimentary continental breakfast wasn't that good : muffins that are more cakes than muffins, microwavable eggs, commercial bagels, a few fruits, bad coffee. But it was another reason to go eat at the Pier restaurant just beside, which serves excellent seafood and breakfast. I would definitely return to Colonial Inn, and that's great because they offer a 15 % discount when you do so.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank CarolineF22
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I apologize that our breakfast wasn't what you were looking for. We are continually working on this area to meet the needs of all of our guests. I appreciate the feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Gretna, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We have been traveling to the OBX for years and have stayed in local hotels, motels, and rented beach houses. We were only able to come for a couple of days this time, and we were bringing our dog. Our spur of the moment getaway turned into another memorable family vacation, thanks to the Colonial Inn. We loved it here!! :) It is well kept, the staff is super-friendly and accommodating. We stayed in a room with 2 queen beds, sofa bed and loveseat. The room was large and comfortable. AC worked great. Microwave and small refrigerator in every room, flat screen TVs. Free Wi-Fi is provided. It is quiet here, even though it is right on beach road. Access to the beach couldn't be better. It is has the quaint, old timey feel of beach days long ago. Nags Head Pier right next door. The pool is pristine, propane BBQ grills, lounge chairs and patio deck table and chairs provided for guests to use. The continental breakfast is comparable to larger hotels, if not better. Large muffins, Danish, breakfast burritos, waffles, French toast, bagels, fresh fruit, juice provides something for everyone. Coffee, fresh fruit and bottled water are available 24 hours a day. A storm kicked up on our second night, and they provided coloring books, crayons, playing cards, candy, fruit cups and water to our 10-year-old granddaughter to keep her occupied in case the power went out. The cable went out and they called to have it fixed immediately. Our TV still wasn't working, and Linda left the front desk to personally come to our room and fixed it! It is close to everything in town - shopping, restaurants, mini-golf, etc. There are park benches on the covered front porch outside of each courtyard room. You park right outside your room. The parking lot is tight, but that is something to be expected. The motel was built in 1947, and has withstood the storms of time. It is well-kept, clean, and they are working hard to complete upgrades. If you are looking for a comfortable, laid back place to stay, Colonial Inn fits the bill. I would rather stay here, than one of the fancier high rises. Been there, done that. My family was very pleased with our experience at the Colonial Inn, and we are looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: We stayed in a roomy Deluxe, 2 queen and sofa bed room on the courtyard. Covered porch with park be...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will certainly pass along your kind words to our staff and we hope to see you again soon. We have certainly put a lot of effort into improving and upgrading the property. Reviews like yours help us to know we are on the right track.
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My family and I stayed 5 days, but we wish it had been longer. The staff was helpful and friendly, our room was clean, and the free wifi for the girls was wonderful. The property is old but has charm. We'll be back for another visit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Malissa B
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Leaving is always the worst part. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. The staff works very hard on a daily basis to continually improve both ourselves and the property. We do hope you are able to return again soon.
Pollocksville, NC
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Very accommodating staff. Only negative was room was a bit small, but I knew this going in. Was a one day short stay but enjoy my stay. Very good restaurants nearby. Price was reasonable. Motorcycle friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. Our final upgrades are going in as we speak with new bedding, window treatments, and wall art. We hope you return soon. I will share your review with the staff.
Ohio
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

On our second trip to the Outer Banks, we opted to take our two aging dogs with us rather than boarding them. The high reviews on this place for the price got our attention, so we reserved a room for the duration of our stay in NC.
The old adage of "you get what you pay for" isn't lost on me. We generally stay with the Red Roof or Motel 6 chains, so we aren't too hard to please. Here, if you're traveling with animals, you do not get what you paid for. Their pet fees are $25 per pet, per night. If I'd have known that, this experience would have never happened.
The rooms have some updates, but I noticed that the doors lack deadbolts and don't lock automatically lock when the door closes. Our door had a light to medium-duty striker plate placed atop two older plates to shim it into place against the deadlatch. Behind that, the door frame was split. Having determined the room to be only marginally secure, we kept our valuables in the trunk of our car when we left the room. I also observed that there is no ventilation in the bathroom. In the kitchenette area, a household surge protector supplied power to the toaster, coffee maker, and the electric ignitors on the gas range.
I have no problem conceding that the motel has nice, well maintained, easy access to the beach and fishing pier, complete with a beach shower. The apartments are roomy and adequately furnished. The pool area is also nicely decorated and maintained, and the pool water is pristine. Two propane grills are provided for the guests' use.
The flaws I have detailed wouldn't even bother me so much if not for the outright predatory fees we paid for our dogs. And if a guest loses a key, it's a $75 charge for a replacement. We are taking unusual precautions to avoid that situation. In short, the poor rating comes down to value. It was nearly $800 in total for 4 nights in an aging property in a very congested area of Nags Head. It's not bad if you are traveling without pets. If not, look elsewhere or arrange for local boarding.

• Stayed May 2013
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
I sincerely apologize for what seems to be a negative experience. With regard to our room doors and locks I can assure you this is in the works to be upgraded. I appreciate the positive feedback in regard to maintenance, housekeeping, and front desk staff. The team does work very hard. Our pets fees are based on the median average of what pet friendly hotels in the area charge along with the additional costs and risks incurred from pets being the rooms. I can assure you are pet fees are not for profit but for maintenance of our pet friendly rooms so that each guest is able to enjoy the same quality of stay as the previous. I hope that you will follow us on social media and/or our website for upgrades coming this week. I will certainly be addressing the maintenance issues mentioned in your review. Again we apologize and sincerely appreciate the feedback.

Travellers are raving about these Nags Head hotels

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Colonial Inn has a great price tag! We paid about 70-80$ per night. A deal for an ocean front hotel! BUT I would have rather slept in the parking lot.
The room we stayed in had wood paneling on all walls and the ceiling.. it felt like sleeping in a coffin. And the whole room smelled strongly of mildew. We checked out a total of 4 rooms, in 3 of them we found multiple cockroaches... not very comforting. The AC/Heat only worked on the AC setting. Which wouldn't have been a problem had the high temp for a couple days been 60-65 F.. and the nights were freezing.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ashley R
I appreciate your honesty and feedback. I do notice that the room you stayed in is one of three rooms we did not remodel due to the previous positive comments regarding the pine paneling. I am noticing now that this paneling is dark and isn't conducive to a beach atmosphere. We will change this to be the same as the other rooms right away. Some final touches on rooms will be completed this week and next including new bedspreads, window treatments, and wall art. We will post pictures as soon as this is complete. I am very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay and I sincerely apologize. I hope you will follow us on Facebook and/or our website for the final round of upgrades for this year.
Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

Very close to ocean. My room had 2 very small windows, one viewing parking lot and one viewing an old creepy house or something. In the room it was spacious with big beds. Lighting was terrible it was seriously so dark in this room. The shower head was ridiculous as was the water pressure. It was basically a leaky water hose. The maid banged on the door loudly and tried to come in multiple times at 9:30 while we were still sleeping. Tried to put the do not bother us sign on the door but it was covered in a sticky substance. Will not be returning.

• Stayed April 2013
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 4 May 2013
I am extremely sorry to hear about this. Your experience is unacceptable and will be addressed. It is not our nature to "make excuses" and please do not consider my response that as I sincerely apologize. We are still working diligently to complete our upgrades/renovations to this property as quickly as possible. We have several rooms still on the list to be completed. I will address this with the entire staff and work to resolve these issues.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nags Head
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,469 reviews
Outer Banks Inn
Outer Banks Inn
#9 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!