“Outer Banks Icon” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Shenandoah Valley
“Outer Banks Icon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

The Colonial Inn has seen thousands of guests and dozens of hurricanes but it's still here and doing well. If you're used to 5 star accommodations you probably shouldn't be in Nags Head anyway. This is a great little place that harkens spirits from the past when these barrier islands were known for fishing more than anything else. The staff is friendly and the rooms clean. Location to the beach is ideal and on close proximity to other attractions on the island.
We did encounter a small setback but after speaking with Josh, our inconvenience was taken care of promptly and professionally.
We will stay again in hopes the thunder and lightning perch themselves further out to sea.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
The storm that hit was unfortunate however I truly appreciate your understanding. Colonial Inn certainly has a lot of history and we will work hard to see that this continues for years to come. Come back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Harrisonburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

My husband and I stayed for a week in July--first year minus children in 30+ years--and had a very enjoyable stay! This was our 11th time at the Colonial and each time has been a wonderful experience, and this was no less enjoyable. The staff is quick to remedy any problems and very hospitable. It was nice having a person in the office 24 hours a day--a change from the past. The same housekeeping staff has been there each year, so there is continuity and it's as though we're returning to family! Pinky and Martina are wonderful. Joshua was open to suggestions, and very likeable. He has made the "old" place more inviting and comfortable. The addition of the new photographs and the new window treatments and bedspreads as well as the fresh painted walls updated and brightened the rooms. While more renovations need to take place, such as new carpets, we're sure that the Colonial is in capable hands. The flat-screen TVs are nice--one in every room of the apartments. Kitchens are functional. The large pool is a nice alternative to dipping at the beach. The main drawback is the lack of sufficient parking. We look forward to next year's vacation at the Colonial.

Room Tip: Elderly should get a ground level room since stairs to apartments near pool are narrow and steep.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathy R
Kathy I truly appreciate your feedback and enjoyed talking with you. It is refreshing to all of us here for the hard work and continual upgrades to be noticed. Stay tuned to our website and social media sites as we continue to improve. Next year will be hear before you know it.
Greenville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

My childhood girlfriends of 40 years and I stayed here for several days to celebrate a birthday. Our suite had two bedrooms, full kitchen and a very comfortable living room with a wrap around sofa. We enjoyed the easy access to the beach and the pool was very nice. The staff and manager were very friendly and accommodating. Our overall experience was very laid-back and enjoyable. They have a varied continental breakfast that we all thoroughly enjoyed every morning. This was a very cozy and well kept environment and we are hoping to make this place our place for our future get togethers. We are looking forward to making reservations for the Labor Day week. A special thank you to Karla Ford who assisted us with our reservations and made sure that all of our wants and needs were met.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cheryl S
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and plan to come back so soon. Labor Day weekend is very busy so I certainly encourage you to call soon. I will ensure to share your kind words with our staff.
Lynchburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

My family and I have stayed there for 3 years and this year was really disappointed. We checked in to have the wrong room and the room we got was upstairs and smelled. I confirmed 3 times that we had bottom floor since the steps were too narrow. We were moved 3rd day with no further problems. Cleaning could be better and Parking sucks but staff nice

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Steph24572
I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Our parking lot is small and we have certainly brainstormed on ways to improve this. I make no excuse for the housekeeping issues you mention as this is unacceptable and I can assure you will be addressed. Improvements to this landmark property are continual so I do hope you will consider staying with us in the future.
Panama City Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

It is not the Ritz...but we knew that when we booked a last-minute reservation. Our room was clean and comfortable. Decor was circa 1960's but the TV was a new, flat screened model. Very friendly staff and a very good continental breakfast. Easy access to the Beach and pier and a wonderful restaurant is right next door. Additionally, it is in a very safe area for a morning jog.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Susansellsthebeach
I certainly appreciate your kind words and honest feedback. The owner is continually working to improve and upgrade this property so I do hope you will consider staying with us in the future. I certainly agree it is a great place for a morning jog.
Fenton mo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

I drove from Missouri to bring my family of 5 on vacation and this place ruined it the picture's show a nice 2 bedroom but the pics must have been from when the day they built the place its was so gross it smelt like mold they only had a stand up shower and I have a 12 month baby that takes baths,the carpet was trashed the ac didn't work and the kitchen was so dirty, if I were to pull out the couch I wouldn't be able to open the fridge or get to the tiny kitchen the had to remove a couch to even open the front door the dresser and bed was so close I couldn't use the drawers it was so bad I thought this place was going to ruin my entire vacation intill I found this place called the villas and it was a 2 bedroom townhouse for 100 dollars more than colonial and it was huge I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank mweedman83
We are so sorry you traveled so far and were so disappointed with your stay. In recent months the Colonial Inn has invested a lot of time and money to improve the guest experience. Capital issues aside I will never make an excuse for housekeeping issues as this is unacceptable and will be addressed. We tend to receive high marks in this area however I sincerely apologize you did not receive the service expected. We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your short time spent with us, but encourage you to give us a try in the future as we continually work to improve daily.

Travellers are raving about these Nags Head hotels

Chicago, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We recently stayed at the Colonial Inn. The front desk staff was very friendly, however, the motel itself is in desperate need of a renovation. The location is great being right on the beach with private access and next door is a pier. However, dogs are allowed at the hotel in every room, so most likely you will hear dogs barking through out the day and night. Also, the rooms are a bit damp because of the humidity and only room air conditioners and the bathrooms need new tile as ours was completely cracked and felt a bit dirty. Perhaps we didn't get an updated room that others were speaking of. Again...great location and I know the new managers are working to update the hotel in the winter. They should also make a policy on the pets so that there are parts of the hotel where pets aren't allowed.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Amber M
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Amber I truly appreciate your feedback. It is certainly our policy that only part of the hotel is pet friendly. I sincerely apologize if this caused any inconvenience. I can also assure you, as you stated, that the owner is working diligently to ensure the property is upgraded. He made significant upgrades this past year and plans to continue to do so in the coming off season. We do hope you return soon and I will certainly let the staff know how highly you spoke of them.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nags Head
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
#13 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,339 reviews
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,132 reviews

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!