“Perfect For Our Weekend Getaway”
Review of Colonial Inn

Colonial Inn
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Richmond, Virginia
“Perfect For Our Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Ours was a very pleasant experience. The room and the bathroom were very clean and the air conditioner worked well. The motel is older but well kept. We had no complaints and would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: You really need to check out the reviews!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ellen C
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Ellen - I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Come back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

It is an old motel and basic but nice, charming little beach motel to stay. The staff is very friendly and nice. We have stayed a couple of times. This time we stayed for our anniversary and the front desk gave us a bottle of wine to celebrate. The parking is tight. It is right next to OBX fishing pier where you can have food or drinks and watch the waves.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stacey_y318
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Happy Anniversary and so happy to hear you spent it with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and hope you return soon.
Waverly
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This is my second time here.Under new management in second year.this is your older motel,needs a few upgrades,talked to the owner and Joshua who manages the motel.Both were great people. The room we had was a ocean front room. Rooms are clean,employees are great,helpful and very friendly. Will come back again.

Room Tip: Nags Head Pier and Resturant is next door to motel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank hunter R
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I certainly remember speaking with you. We are looking into some additions to the bathrooms and living spaces as suggested. We do hope you return soon.
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked a king oceanfront room for four nights at the Colonial Inn. There were definite pros and cons but I'll start with the pros...

Other reviews you read will talk about how close this place is to the beach, and it truly is. All the oceanfront rooms are one story, and you can be out of the room and onto the beach in ten seconds. The staff were friendly and courteous, and check in and out was very simple. There was not a lot of noise and I felt safe the entire time. I guess you could say we had everything we needed the whole stay.

Now the cons....

The room was pretty cramped, which bothered my husband more than me. The showers truly are tiny and the bathroom in general never felt really clean. The size of the shower is one thing, but there was no where to put my things. I showered with the curtain half open, reaching over the sink shelf to get shampoo and body wash etc. A rack of some sort would have been nice. This was not a place I recommend walking barefoot! I felt like I had to have something covering my feet the whole time. We also noticed a constant presence of flies in the room, which again drove my husband crazy and kind of prevented him from rest.

Now one of my biggest cons was admittedly partly my fault. During check in I noticed a sign stating the pool was closed, and when I asked about when it would open I was told that it was waiting for inspection and would open any day now. That's all that was said about it. My husband and I were very disappointed because we usually don't book a place that doesn't have some sort of pool. We waited a couple days and the pool never opened so my husband went and asked again about the status of the pool and we were told the exact same thing. On the evening of our last night, my husband asked if we could be accommodated in any way for the lack of the pool, and we were told that we could have been using the Y pass as well as the pool at their sister motel. Now, admittedly we were told when I reserved the room that we got Y passes, but we never thought to equate this to a pool. It would have been very nice to have been reminded of this and told about the sister motel the first, or even second time, we asked about the pool.

My husband and I decided to extend our stay at obx one more night, and we booked a room at the Blue Heron. We really didn't realize what we were missing and how disappointed we had been until our stay there.

This place isn't terrible, but it just isn't for us. Would be perfect for a guys weekend or a fishing trip!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Winxy16
I am sincerely sorry to hear you didn't fully enjoy your trip. I do apologize the positive comments regarding staff and location. The Colonial Inn is an older property however ownership has invested in it bringing more of a modern feel to the room. Our ocean front rooms while very convenient to the beach are slightly smaller than the other rooms on property. I think the idea of additional shelving in the bathrooms is a great idea and we will look into this right away. The spring season we have seen more flies than anyone wanted to see however this is seasonal and I apologize they were a disturbance. I will certainly address sharing more details of amenities at check-in and throughout the stay with the front desk. I appreciate your insight and we do hope you return to the Outer Banks soon.
DuBois, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 April 2014

When I booked this hotel I knew that it was old and very basic. It was not terrible but there were a few things that made our stay a bit of a challenge. We had a queen room. The room was very clean. The bedding was very crisp & white. The carpet was clean except for one large red stain by the bed. The bed was not horrible but also not the most comfortable. The fan on the heat/ac unit was incredibly loud. You could not hear the TV when the fan was running. The shower was the biggest challenge. It was a very small shower stall (no tub). The showerhead was at such a height that I had to stand on my tiptoes to keep the water from hitting me in the face. (I am 5'4"). The stall is so small that there wasn't room to stand out of the way of the spray and you could not readjust the showerhead. My husband who is 6'3" also struggled with the showerhead. The walls are also paper thin so you hear EVERYTHING going on in the room next to you. When I booked the room it said that it included "Continental Breakfast" however this was never mentioned when we checked in and we never saw evidence of any such thing. Not sure if it is a seasonal thing. The best thing I can say is it was clean. If you are looking for an old time motel you may not mind the inconveniences.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FacesFirst
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Denise, I sincerely appreciate your feedback. I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. I will ensure the stain is taken care of immediately along with the AC unit, these are areas we shouldn't have missed and I do apologize. Some of the shower stalls are certainly on the small size but I like the suggestion of a more adjustable shower head. I will also double check all of our online listings to ensure that the mention of continental breakfast isn't mistakenly listed.
Covington, Virginia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I booked our stay here a month in advance with the hotel itself, not a third party. We booked the two bedroom apartment because we have four children, ages 14, 12, 7, and 6 months, and our great dane. It was a six hour drive to get there and knowing we were running late I called the hotel two hours before we got there to let them know we would be late but that we were coming. The lady I spoke with said no problem. I specifically said "I just wanted to make sure you kept our room." and she said "No problem. We will see you soon." Two hours later I check in only to be told they had double booked our room and the two bedroom apartment was not available. I was livid! It was 9:00pm, our kids were tired and hungry and we just wanted to relax. They offered us the one bedroom apartment and a regular room. The problem was that they were on different floors and still didn't have enough beds for all of us. My 14 and 12 year old slept in one room while the rest of us crammed into the other. There was hardly enough room for use to walk without tripping over each other. They did comp the rooms, but they should have given the inconvenience they caused. I should have been told when I called two hours earlier that they had overbooked, or knowing that we were coming they should have called me as soon as they realized the mistake, this would have given me the chance to find something else.

Other issues: The refrigerator in room 21 didn't work. This was very inconvenient as we had brought food with us. The cable TV in room 31 didn't work because the cable had been hooked up wrong, but my husband fixed that. The rooms we had only had showers. This made bathing my 6 month old very difficult, and had I known this before I wouldn't have made a reservation here. The beds were AWFUL! None of us slept well the nights we were there because the beds were as hard as rocks. There were stains on the carpet, a hole in one of the walls, and the air conditioner was so loud it woke me up at night.

The website is not upfront and honest about the condition of the hotel. It is much more run down than they made it out to be. However, I could have over looked some of it if they had been upfront and honest about the mistake in our reservation. I have no tolerance for that kind of stuff. I was a paying guest. We will not be staying here again and I would not recommend it to anyone else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you want a good room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MelMullineaux
Joshua R, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
It is not in my nature nor our staffs to make any kind of excuses. I sincerely apologize that this happened as I do remember this situation. There can be numerous reasons an overbooking can occur however in all cases it is our job and purpose to ensure your trip goes as smoothly as possible. I do hope the gesture of the free stay helped the inconvenience somewhat. Again, I take full responsibility and sincerely apologize. I can assure you that the reason it happened that weekend has been fixed however I realize that doesn't help after the fact.

Travellers are raving about these Nags Head hotels

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a wonderful efficiency apartment room that was perfect for our family. The room looked like it had recently received a makeover. It was very nice.
Not a top end hotel but then it didn't cost a fortune either. The weather was awful - otherwise the hotel's location ON the beach would have been greatly appreciate let.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Dillons1231
I am very sorry to hear the weather didn't cooperate with your travel plans. We appreciate the kind words and hopefully your next trip down will have plenty of sunshine.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nags Head
#9 of 13 in Nags Head
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!