Colonial Inn
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront(Nags Head)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$178
ComfortInn
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$205/night.

US$158
US$140
RodewayInn
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$156/night.

US$191
Tar Heel Motel(Nags Head)
US$212
First Colony Inn(Nags Head)
US$282
US$331
Surf Side Hotel(Nags Head)(Great Value!)
US$284
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn(Kill Devil Hills)
US$225
US$161
US$229
Owens' Motel(Nags Head)
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewsfishing pierover flowpier restaurantocean frontmemorial weekendthe outer bankslate at nightthe staff was extremely friendlyeach morningfull kitchenthe location is perfectoceanfront rooman older hotelbeachduneobxdeck
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Colonial Inn Motel:
It’s cheap! The best location! Right next to the pier. On the beach. The friendliest staff I have ever experienced in my life. Maid came by every morning to ask if we need anything. She never woke us up. She just gently knocked and exchanged towels for us per our request. We were able to check in at 12 on a Friday of memorial weekend instead of 4 pm. It never hurts to ask! The room was very small, but we got a king size bed and a microwave and mini fridge. They have black out curtains which is amazing and really helped us sleep soundly. It was very quiet all weekend. The bed was comfy and clean. Lots of soft pillows. Nice flat screen tv with tons of channels. Plenty of parking. The pool was big and clean and got sunlight all day, (but sadly overrun with really drunk rednecks and screaming children. )

Those were the pros now here are the Cons: it is a LOW budget motel
It’s nothing fancy
The bathroom is super small
Shower has minimal water pressure
Tub barely drains
Smells really dingy
There’s only one tiny mirror in the whole room and it’s in the bathroom way above the sink. (I’m 5’3 so I could barely use it/see it).
The sheets are not soft at all

I would recommend this place to anyone who is on a budget or who is more concerned with an awesome beachfront location or to anyone who just doesn’t care about being totally pampered. This place is fantastic - I would rate it 4 stars of the cheap basic motels. I give it 3 stars just to accurately give people an idea that this place needs a lot of improvement esthetically.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ssghassem
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This motel is old,but it's clean,on the beach,and very reasonably priced,if all you need is a bed and a shower. The staff are extremely friendly and try hard to satisfy.I prefer the older establishments rather than the big new chain hotels,they keep with the traditional ambiance of the beach. Alot of them are gone and it's very sad.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Cai P, General Manager at Colonial Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I sincerely appreciate your kind words about our staff, it means a lot to all of us as we take really great pride in bringing the best customer service on the Outer Banks. I hope you can visit the Outer Banks and be able to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

We booked a hotel room with Colonial Inn not expecting much but it was very affordable. Its more than we expected. The ocean front view was nice with two sepeate decks for viewing the ocean and socializing with your neighbors. Some rooms are dog friendly so we met very cute nice dogs. All dogs owners I saw were following the bag dog doo rule. The rooms were very air conditioned with controlled settings. The ocean view room had a very small mini fridge. You might bring a cooler for more food and drinks depending on how you travel. The bed was super comfy. We decided to stay for an extra day. Our first room was booked so they moved us to a parking lot view with two beds instead of one. It was only a difference of a 100 feet to the beach and had two beds instead of one. Id rate both rooms about equal in quality expect the second room had a much bigger fridge. Some rooms have stoves as well but we did not book one of those. My boyfriend and I will be planning another visit to the Colonial Inn in OBX again in the fall. Perfect for a quite weekend getaway for two. Quite and beyond friendly staff. Pool was quite clean. Sand is everywhere because you are at the beach. The warm smiles of the staff, the local restaurants within walking distance and the pier/restaurant/bar has all the ammenities you need for a quite getaway for a couple or small family. Enjoy your stay!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your kind words and positive feedback about our hotel, staff and your experience during your stay. I am very happy to hear that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your first Outer Banks trip together. I sincerely hope you can visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 15 May 2018

you really can see that the colonial inn celebrated their 65 years in business. many years passed buy without updating the small rooms. totally overpriced. but friendly people, sorry but will not come back.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and your honest feedback about your stay. I am so sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant stay at our hotel. I sincerely hope you enjoyed your visit to the Outer Banks otherwise.

Reviewed 13 May 2018

Colonial Inn is in a great location, right on the beach, near the Wright Brothers Memorial, close to Jockey's Ridge, next door to the Nags Head fishing pier. It is convenient to many good restaurants and shops. The staff was very courteous and
friendly. Those were the good points. Unfortunately, the inn itself is like a throwback to the '50s & '60s. The room we had was small, dark and only minimally equipped. The only ice machine is in the business office, which was quite a long walk from our room.
The air conditioner is a wall-mounted unit placed very high up on the outside wall, requiring a remote control to operate. The entire room, and the rest of the Inn were badly in need of renovating. There were very few outlets in the room, and none of them were grounded outlets. When I noticed that, I checked the one outlet in the bathroom, and found that despite being almost over the lavatory, it was NOT a ground fault outlet as required by current code. I can't believe the town of Nags Head would allow the inn to operate without GFCI outlets in the bathrooms. The room we stayed in
was almost at the end of an upstairs balcony with only one exit back to the single set of stairs. In the event of a fire anywhere along the balcony or the stairs, there was no way out except to jump from the second floor. It seems to me that having only one way out for a hotel/motel/inn would violate all sorts of fire regulations. Apparently the
Town The parking lot is very small and cramped, with spaces too short for large cars or pickup trucks, Even turning around in the parking lot was difficult when we arrived, and would have been impossible if the parking lot had been full.
It's unfortunate that the inn has so many problems such an outstanding location.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your honest feedback. It is no secret that we are an older property but with that being said, we do our very best to keep up with maintenance of the property. I apologize that outlets were not working during your stay, I had my maintenance guys go through the specific room you're in to check the electrical outlets and also had them checked the rest of the rooms at our hotel. Thank you for bringing it up to our attention. I sincerely hope you enjoyed your visit to the Outer Banks otherwise.