“Excellent location and views”
Review of Owens' Motel

Owens' Motel
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Birmingham
“Excellent location and views”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed for two nights at the Owen's Motel while exploring OBX. We rang up and booked over the phone and asked about the various rooms. We decided upon the ones with ocean views. Upon arrival, the helpful lady in reception speedily checked us in and gave us our room key. Our room was number 9 on the 2nd floor. Initially I wasn't impressed with the way the motel looked, as I felt it looked a bit run down. We opened the door and both wowed at the size of the room and its amenities. Opening the door on to the veranda gave us amazing views of the ocean, up and down the beach and Jennette's Pier.

The room was clean and well presented and the bathroom was of a good standard.

If we visit OBX again, I wouldn't hesitate in booking in for another few nights.

On the negative side, the AC in the room was very noisy and did little to cool the temperature of the room. No problems though as we propped the room door open with a chair and had the veranda door open. A nice breeze passed through the room cooling us down.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank pacmania1982

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

We visited the area for a long weekend to explore OBX, and found the Owens Motel to be clean, welcoming, accommodation. Rate seemed a bit expensive given the limited amenities; however, most lodging in OBX is pricier than other NC locales. We stayed in the single-story building across the street, which was quiet and convenient. The rooms are dated; however, given the relatively low price, and proximity to the beach and Jeannette's Pier, we weren't expecting much. If you are visiting Nags Head on a budget, give it a try.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Walt T
Cambridge, Ohio
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I have never stayed in a worse place. This hotel is dirty, bug infested and disgusting. Please avoid this place at all costs! I ave never seen such a crappy place! The pictures quaint, but believe me it is far from quaint, it is gross! Do not stay here!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Amyjsloan

Travellers are raving about these Nags Head hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I was surprised by the blue painted paneling, the white wicker furniture, and the truly tiny bathroom. I was more surprised at the stench that hit me when I opened the refrigerator to unload our cooler. We were given the opportunity to switch rooms or switch refrigerators with the room next door. Since we had already moved in, we thought the appliance switch best, especially since the other room was dark and completely old school wood paneled. My poor husband did most of the manhandling of the little beast (a first in our many motel stays). No help was offered. The old brown one left a puddle on our floor and a trail to it's new home. The new one was white and completed the white theme perfectly. That experience was a definite deduction of my rating. We had to get ice from a cooler in the office and the television was little more than a computer monitor. We had a real key! (not a keycard)
That said, I really like the fact that we had windows on THREE sides (it being an end unit) and with no neighbor in the next room, it was like being in a cabin. We hit the beach at sunset and again before and at sunrise because it was SO CLOSE! It was substantially cheaper than the chain hotel and the stay I remember best from our week on the road. It's also the only place I took pictures of, because of it's unique qualities.
It had plenty of towels, microwave, fridge (thanks to my husband, one that worked AND matched the decor), hair dryer, coffee-maker, alarm clock, window unit AC (somewhat noisy), pink decorative plates on the wall and a pink flyswatter thoughtfully provided. It was clean. Plus the section we stayed in (they have another set of units further west) was roughly 50 feet from the BEACH!
I did not spend a lot of time awake in this room so I am forgiving of it's shortcomings. If I was a diva, I would have hated it. I took it for what it was and I am not sorry. Our beach experiences made up for the TV, fridge and cubbyhole commode.
We were there off-season and it was quiet and I slept well. I would probably not have like at as well if it was summer and fully occupied.
Rating this is difficult. If not for the labor involved, TV and commode cubbyhole, we had a great stay - 4.5. It isn't the Holiday Inn. If you want that kind of experience -DON'T stay here. Because of the age, I should probably give it a 2. If you're a guy, none it probably matters to you and only the TV sucks. That kinda leaves me at a 3.

Room Tip: I recommend #8 or higher. Higher has a balcony or patio overlooking the beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank imlin3
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I love this motel. I have never stayed across the street, and never will. Nothing against it other than the fact that I stay at Owen's because I can walk out of my door and hit sand, and then water immediately. I always stay in the beach front condos, so I can't vouch for the regular rooms. Condos are nice. There's that typical slight "must" smell when you walk in, but any hotel (even fancy ones) that are 20 feet from the ocean are going to have that issue. Sand, salt water and bare feet will do that.

Clean motel, friendly staff, literally right on the water, and hands down the BEST restaurant right across the street (Owen's Restaurant).

Could definitely use an update in the rooms themselves and I think that would help people's opinions.

Reasonable pricing (especially in the fall for condos), convenient location and friendly staff will keep me at Owens.

Room Tip: Take a condo. Right on the water.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank A D
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Don't ike this place.rooms are too old. Need to be reneewed. The emplacement is good but it's better to be on ocean side. Barbecue place is so minimal.carpet smells, windows are locked, beds are trampoline.

• Stayed August 2012
Surf Side Hotel
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,473 reviews

Been to Owens' Motel? Share your experiences!