“Great Stay - Would definitely return!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Owens' Motel

Owens' Motel
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Stay - Would definitely return!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2009

We went down to OBX for a quick weekend from DC. We wanted a reasonably priced clean quiet place on the beach, with very close proximity to all attractions, where we could rest our heads after a long day. Owen's Motel is just that. It's very friendly and quiet, and located in the middle of everything. We stayed in the courtyard, which was great because we could park in from of our door. Across from the courtyard is an empty lot, so you face the sand dunes.

It has that 1960's local feel - the feeling that you're dealing with a person, not a giant chain. The guy who runs the place is a really nice middle-aged surfer. The office opens at 9am because he clearly spent the morning surfing. There were no problems, everything was clean - with plenty of towels. The rooms are big, no problem with parking.

And, the restaurant attached to the hotel has fantastic food. It's a bit pricey (and I'm a bit cheap), but it was worth the money. (~$30/entree)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

My girlfriend and I were looking for an inexpensive place to stay for the weekend. Owen's Motel was perfect.

The location is quite convenient. It is right near the beach and within a couple hours driving distance of both the northern and southern points of the outer banks. The room was clean and spacious with a refrigerator, TV and nice bathroom. Parking is easy.

We enjoyed sitting outside of our room enjoying the ocean air.

Owen's Restaurant was also very good.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kenquam
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2009

The room we stayed in was with a king sized bed, room looked great, very clean, and when they came to clean, left very nice and clean!! you needed anything, there was no problem with. Loved our stay and would stay there again and again!! highly recommend it!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scowencrs
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

The only true complaint that I have of this place was that our room was located in the corner of an L shaped building. In that corner was a light that at night attracted a lot of tiny nat bugs. We went to the drug store and got some bug spray and that helped a bit but it was still an annoyance as they would come into the room every time we opened the door. The air conditioning worked great... the fridge worked great... the shower was small but clean and looked new... the furniture was new and comfortable... the staff was overly helpful... and its portion of the beach was just far enough away from the hot spots to be comfortable... and above all when the rest of the hotels were charging 300 bucks or more for a room in high season Owens was a reasonable 100. I would definitely stay here again. As a matter of fact I filled this out as a result of doing a search for the hotel so I can make reservations for June. :)

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Gainesville, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2008

It's ok for a night...but any more than that....read on.....

I booked this motel after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. I did extensive research; well, I thought I did. I'll start with the pros about the motel: Great customer service, cheap rates, ample parking, on the beach or across from the street from the beach (they have rooms on both sides of the street in stand alone buildings). I looked up rates online and emailed the property directly to see if they could beat the lowest price I'd found on expedia. They were able to save me $23 by booking directly through the Owens' Motel.

That being said, the cons definitely outweigh the pros: There were several dead bugs and live bugs in the room, The bathroom is tiny and the shower is the size of a phone booth, the water in the shower takes awhile to get hot and the showerhead is really old and gross, the bed was disgusting- dirty sheets, dirty pillows and pillowcases (visible stains), the bed--you could see the mattress coming apart, the room was tiny, our AC didn't work so they moved us to a new room, the refrigerator didn't work in the first room (in the second we had to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work), the light worked when it wanted to (it came on in the middle of the night).

We stayed three nights. After the third, we happily checked out and paid 50 bucks more including tax to stay at the Clarion down the street. As we were checking out of the Owens' Motel, a woman was at the desk complaining that her AC was noisy and didn't really work. They were going to move her room just like they moved us. She was on the beach side of the street. We stayed in the westside rooms. Obviously being by the beach wasn't any better than being across the street at the cheaper rate.

• Liked — The flexible and accomodating staff
  • Disliked — the roomw
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Melissa L

Travellers are raving about these Nags Head hotels

Virginia Beach, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2008

I'm not usually a motel kind of person. However, I made plans at the last minute to spend a night/day in Nags Head and needed an economical place to stay. I read the reviews which didn't help my uneasy feeling. When we pulled in I thought "This isn't going to be good." The motel is definitely older and I wasn't expecting it to be divided by the road. We checked into the office which was very clean and comfortable and the guy at the front desk was great. We made our way back across the street to the rooms in the courtyard and I was pleasantly surprised by the room. Yes, the A/C was noisy, yes the carpet was older but overall the room was great for a beach vacation. I really liked the furniture and the room was clean. I think the towels could be replaced and I would bring my own pillows next time but it was very pleasant.

We had dinner at Owen's Restaurant and the food was great. I think there are better places for less money but like many who stay here we couldn't resist how convenient it was. The staff in the Lounge were horrible, but the dinner service was good and the food was great.

We had breakfast at The Dunes, which was recommended by the same guy in the office and it was fantastic. HUGE portions for very little money and it tasted great.

One note: check the clocks in the room to your watch or phone. Ours was off by two hours and although we ended up with bonus time added to our day, we could have spent a little extra time in the room.

• Stayed August 2008
SouthSide Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

Stayed at Owens over the past weekend. Hotel was economical and excellent value for the money. We stayed in the courtyard and were pleased. The room was clean and "fresh" smelling.
The room was close to the beach. Would stay here again.
Staff were pleasant.

• Liked — Cost was reasonable for the location
  • Disliked — Rooms could use some updating(However, they were fine for our trip)
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Surf Side Hotel
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,444 reviews

Been to Owens' Motel? Share your experiences!