“Lovely view, great food!”

Basnight's Lone Cedar Cafe
Ranked #7 of 85 Restaurants in Nags Head
Price range: US$8 - US$28
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: At Lone Cedar Cafe, we specialize in fresh and local seafood. If you're craving the freshest fish, clams, crab, shrimp and oysters from local North Carolina waters, you'll find them at the Lone Cedar Cafe. For generations, Outer Banks families made their livings - and their daily meals - from the bounty of local waters, caught fresh every day. Our family, the Basnights, were part of that history, and we continue the tradition today by serving only the freshest Outer Banks seafood, caught in local waters and brought to our docks daily by local fishermen, then cleaned and prepared right here at the Lone Cedar Cafe. Our vegetables are "just picked" from North Carolina farms, we serve only all-natural beef and poultry and even our herbs and greens are grown in our own chemical-free garden on-site. Come enjoy delicious food, gorgeous sunsets and panoramic water views, the antics of our resident ospreys and our warm Southern hospitality.
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Each time we go to the Outer Banks we look forward to dining at Lone Cedar. The food never disappoints and watching the Osprey, Lucy and Ricky and their hatchlings has become a family tradition.

june39, Owner at Basnight's Lone Cedar Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

It's wonderful that you have made visiting Lone Cedar Cafe a family tradition! Thank you!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

When our friends knew we were going to the Outer Banks, they said you have to eat at Basnight's!! Well thanks to the Goodwin's recommendation, we did and we were not disappointed!! The She Crab Soup was incredible!! Just the right amount of sherry and cream!! The best I have ever had and I have had a lot!! I had Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes and my husband had Soft Shelled Crabs, both were prepared to perfection!! It was not cheap, but worth the price for us. Our waitress, Inna, was great!! We had a waterfront window table and met Ricky and Lucy, the resident Osprey!! We will go back!!

We are delighted you chose to dine with us while on The Outer Banks, and we are so happy you loved our food, especially the she crab soup! Thank you!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Bassnight's have without doubt the finest "Jumbo lump she crab soup" that I have ever tasted. The soup has the perfect blend of sherry and cream and is served at exactly the correct temperature. If the enjoyment of the soup was not enough I ordered the soft shelled crabs (4 of them) Words cannot adequately describe the crabs, they were simply wonderful, and again I was very pleased with my choice. Our waitress "Inna" was very helpful and informative, as were the entire staff. Please do not miss the opportunity of eating at this establishment. I have to send a special thanks to my friend "Sonny" who recommended this restaurant, he really did me a favor, I will be back.

We're glad you followed your friend's recommendation and dined with us! You were here at the right time of the year for those delicious soft shell crabs, too. You are kind to take time to write a review. Thank you!

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We always rely on Tripadvisor when possible when traveling. Based on both their reviews and the recommendation of our innkeeper at the Burris House Inn. We were not disappointed. We chose to dine outside, which fronts the intercoastal waterway. Our server was Ryan and he was perfect. We told him that we were famished and he quickly made sure we had a basket of piping hot rolls and sweet cornbread to tide us over. We chose to share the prosciutto wrapped scallops as an appetizer and they were so delicious I think I could have made them my main course, along with a bowl of She Crab soup. There were five scallops in a lovely pepper jelly sauce. I hated to share them with my husband, but I did. We chose to split the fried combo platter which consisted of shrimp, scallops, a crab cake, and a flounder filet. Everything was wonderful. We had the whipped sweet potatoes and coleslaw as our sides. Both were tasty. We finished with a vanilla creme brulee. It could easily be described as silk - the texture was so creamy and light. We shared a bottle of wine, which was 'on sale' which brought our bill to around $64.00 + tip. The restaurant uses all locally sourced seafood and veggies. They also draw from their own lovely gardens which circle the perimeter of the building. With so many great options in the OBX it's hard to chose. Take my advice and put The Lone Cedar on your short list.

Wow! Thank you for your great review! We are so glad you enjoyed dining with us, and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We make a point to stop every year because we have never been disappointed. Taylor was our waiter tonight and as always the service was great. Had the fried shrimp it was delicious.

Thank you for being a loyal guest. We are delighted you enjoy dining with us. We look forward to serving you again soon.