Tar Heel Motel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Islander Motel(Nags Head)
View Hotel
Sea Foam Motel(Nags Head)
  • Pool
Blue Heron Motel(Nags Head)
Owens' Motel(Nags Head)
  • Beachfront
Surf Side Hotel(Nags Head)
View Hotel
All reviewsnice poolwalking distancebeach accessthe outer banksroom was cleanold schoolstay there againrefrigerator and microwavewater pressureobxamenitieshamptonratespierocean
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My husband and I were very impressed. Though not the fanciest hotel/motel that we could have gone to, it was the most affordable by far. The staff are all great, the rooms clean and the beds are very comfortable. ...and best of all, 2 minutes to the beach! Will not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie B
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I didn't expect much due to the very low price but it seemed that everyone was having plumbing issues, myself included. Saw many neighbors getting plungers from the office. Was told that since the motel was full it was an ongoing issue, the tub did not drain and I stayed for 3 days with no housing keeping coming to unit. I probably would never post this for the later 2 issues but if you don't mind constantly plunging you tiolet, then place is ok.

• Stayed: July 2013
NC_Islander_12, Manager at Tar Heel Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us at the Tar Heel. We are on an island that has septic tanks and unfortunately all businesses here suffer when there has been too much rain and a lot of guests. We do apologize that it dampened your stay.

We take pride in the cleanliness and service we provide to our guests. Housekeeping does start servicing at 9:00 am every day, should a room have a "Do Not Disturb" on the door they will pass it and move on to the next room. When housekeeping is done, they leave for the day and service is not provided later in the afternoon. The front office does have a supply of towels and toiletries should a guest request something later.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Once again the Tar Heel Motel didn't let us down! We love to stay here! We have 3 kids, so budgeting is a big part of our vacation. We don't believe in paying a king's ransom for a place to get cleaned up and sleep. The Tar Heel is a great place to stay. We have stayed here for the last three years. The staff is great. The room is clean. All linens are clean. Bathroom was spotless. No critters. Cold A/C. Crystal clear pool. Right in between great beach access and Jennette's Pier- the best pier in OBX. My older kids can go to the beach...my hubby can go fish... and I can stay at the pool with the little one and we are all within a few minutes of each other. It is a working class motel and we are most grateful for it. My kids love it and so does our bank account. See y'all next year!!

Room Tip: If you have little ones a poolside room is great!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ellen p
Reviewed 6 July 2013

If you need a place in nags head for a vacation, without having to spend thousands of dollars. The Tar Heel Motel fits the bill.Y our close to the fishing pier and across the street from the beach, the rooms are clean and bug free, I had an excellent weekend vacation on short notice.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank martinb839
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I took my 16 year-old son and 2 of his buds to the beach in late June. I was familiar with the Tarheel from a number of previous visits. It is not fancy, nor frequented by the upper class beach goers, but it fills its niche well. It is for real people...fishermen, but also families who want to spend their days doing something other than hanging out in the room. The motel was clean, the staff friendly and the facilities more than adequate. Our room had 2 queen-sized beds, a mini-frig and a microwave....all for around $100 each night. That is great for OBX in the high season. It is close to good places to eat...I like Tale of the Whale...and shopping if that is your thing. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family