“Great Stay-Great People” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Virginia
“Great Stay-Great People”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed at the Tar Heel for a summer wedding at the Outer Banks. Great job by the staff keeping everyone happy and all the rooms cleaned. They had no problems getting us extra pillows, ironing boards, directions, etc. Everything we couldn't bring from home, or forgot, they helped us out with. The place was very good and at the lowest price around.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Roxboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

If I could afford to stay in a 5 star hotel in Vegas, surrounded by strippers, playing slots, I wouldn't be spending my vacation in Nags Head. That being said, I was very pleased with my room. It was clean, well maintained, and worth the price I paid for it. I needed a nice place to sleep, while I was relaxing at the beach, and this is exactly what I got. The towels were clean, and the shower was hot. The TV worked, unlike some other places I've stayed at. It was everything I could ask for in a room at the beach.

Room Tip: Off season is usually the best time for a quiet vacation, and the best prices.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank fm9572
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

We were in room 24 and it was filthy and disgusting. Three-quarters of the ceiling border in the bathroom is covered in mold, it's very dark and the room smells musty/mildew. It's cheap and across the street from the beach but I don't think the rate is worth it. I have random bites on my stomach and neck and am not sure yet if they are bedbugs or not.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
NC_Islander_12, Manager at Tar Heel Motel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
We are truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the Tar Heel Motel. You stayed in a room that has not been refurbished but I can guarantee that it is clean and bed bug free. The poolside rooms are dark with the original paneling with the exception of 26 & 27 that have been redone. We take every precaution against bed bugs and we are thankful to say we have been bed bug free. Please note that mosquitoes are the biggest threat in the Outer Banks.

We highly recommend that if there are any issues or questions that a guest speak with the front office staff or to housekeeping. Housekeeping comes daily and any concerns can be easily addressed if known to the staff.
Burkes Garden, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

My husband and I were very impressed. Though not the fanciest hotel/motel that we could have gone to, it was the most affordable by far. The staff are all great, the rooms clean and the beds are very comfortable. ...and best of all, 2 minutes to the beach! Will not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie B
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I didn't expect much due to the very low price but it seemed that everyone was having plumbing issues, myself included. Saw many neighbors getting plungers from the office. Was told that since the motel was full it was an ongoing issue, the tub did not drain and I stayed for 3 days with no housing keeping coming to unit. I probably would never post this for the later 2 issues but if you don't mind constantly plunging you tiolet, then place is ok.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NC_Islander_12, Manager at Tar Heel Motel, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us at the Tar Heel. We are on an island that has septic tanks and unfortunately all businesses here suffer when there has been too much rain and a lot of guests. We do apologize that it dampened your stay.

We take pride in the cleanliness and service we provide to our guests. Housekeeping does start servicing at 9:00 am every day, should a room have a "Do Not Disturb" on the door they will pass it and move on to the next room. When housekeeping is done, they leave for the day and service is not provided later in the afternoon. The front office does have a supply of towels and toiletries should a guest request something later.
Farmville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

Once again the Tar Heel Motel didn't let us down! We love to stay here! We have 3 kids, so budgeting is a big part of our vacation. We don't believe in paying a king's ransom for a place to get cleaned up and sleep. The Tar Heel is a great place to stay. We have stayed here for the last three years. The staff is great. The room is clean. All linens are clean. Bathroom was spotless. No critters. Cold A/C. Crystal clear pool. Right in between great beach access and Jennette's Pier- the best pier in OBX. My older kids can go to the beach...my hubby can go fish... and I can stay at the pool with the little one and we are all within a few minutes of each other. It is a working class motel and we are most grateful for it. My kids love it and so does our bank account. See y'all next year!!

Room Tip: If you have little ones a poolside room is great!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ellen p
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

If you need a place in nags head for a vacation, without having to spend thousands of dollars. The Tar Heel Motel fits the bill.Y our close to the fishing pier and across the street from the beach, the rooms are clean and bug free, I had an excellent weekend vacation on short notice.

• Stayed June 2013
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,338 reviews

Been to Tar Heel Motel? Share your experiences!