“Perfect for a long weekend.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Islander Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nags Head
Islander Motel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Bridgeport, West Virginia
“Perfect for a long weekend.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Islander Motel for three nights at the begining of June and it was great. The motel was very clean and the staff were very friendly. We stayed on the first floor which was great to walk to the beach (just a few steps!), but was not great to see the ocean because of the sand dunes. Our room had a king bed, table and chairs, big tv, microwave, medium sized fridge, and a coffee pot. The grounds were very well maintained and landscaped beautifully, with a very nice walkway and landing leading you to the beach. The pool was clean and warm. There were picnic tables and grills in central locations along the property. The location of the motel is a little bit of a hassel because its located at the very end of the beach road so when you go to restaurants you have to drive up the road a few miles to get to most of them, but it isn't that big of a deal at all. It's perfect for a long weekend but I don't think I would like to stay for a whole week just because it would be nice to have a house for that long of a stay. I will definetly stay at the Islander Motel again on future trips. It will always be special to us because I proposed on the landing facing the beach!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2010

I traveled with my sister and my 2.5 year old niece. We had a room on the third floor, which had a beautiful view. Unfortunately the balcony was too small to be comfortable as they had plexiglass windows surrounding it. Oh well. Beach access was right there and the pool was nice too. Front desk staff were less than friendly, to say the least, but the room was very clean and super cute. Having a fridge in it was PERFECT. Location was fantastic- close to the things we wanted to do.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank MNJenRN
henderson, North carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

We stayed at the Islander Motel for 3 nights (Sept. 25, 26, and 27, 2009). We were looking for clean, affordable, non-smoking rooms with an ocean view, and the Islander certainly met these expectations. As a bonus, the motel is within easy walking distance of 2 restaurants. For the best oceanfront views, request the third floor. Two persons in our group chose to stay in an oceanfront room on the second floor, since there's no elevator. Their view of the beach was limited, compared to mine (on the third floor). All of the staff we met were very courteous and helpful. On the first morning of our stay, we reported that the phone in one of our rooms was out of order. By the time we returned a few hours later, the phone was working. There were no problems with the refrigerators in our rooms. If you use a hairdryer, you'll need to pack your own (I forgot to ask about this when I made the reservations). We would recommend the Islander to anyone who is looking for quiet, affordable, no-frill lodging in Nags Head.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
germantown, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2009

We (myself and 2 teenaged children) were there for a wedding. For past 37 years (since I was 13!), have always rented a house for a week every year as a family group-sometimes go there twice a year. Have had absolutely no experience with the Outer Banks hotels/motels, so we went in blind. Even in Sept, most had their no vacancy signs out. Called the Islander after passing it on the road-$98/night for an oceanfront room. Furnishings (Decor, TV, mini-fridge, etc ) were dated, but functional and adequate. The balcony was disappointing, as stated in other reviews, but could still see and hear ocean...we were not planning on spending much time in our room-just needed somewhere to sleep that was safe and clean. Our room was very clean, no sign of any bugs, beds very comfortable, area very quiet. Grounds VERY well maintained, with attention to detail. Nice lawn area, flowers that attracted lots of butterflies, etc. Staff (office and cleaning) pleasant and friendly. All, in all, I was pleasantly surprised..was expecting a "hole-in-the wall" place...not at all. Would consider staying there in season, maybe come down early the night before we are due to check in to a beach house, to beat the traffic and rest. Did not try the pool (the beach was beautiful ,although red flags were up), but others were enjoying it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Chesterfield VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2009

We found the Islander Motel to be very nice, friendly, clean, and a great location for day trips around the Outer Banks. The beach is just over the dune and the pool is very inviting. My wife and I would return to the Islander in a heartbeat.

The rooms were comfortable and clean. Plenty of parking for our car and motorcycle. We felt safe and appreciated. I would recommend this place to anyone that wants quiet, clean, friendly place to stay at the beach. Two thumbs up...

Don & Connie
Chesterfield VA

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Raleigh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2009

My wife, I and 2 grown children stayed at the Islander mid-Jun. The positives are location right off the beach, friendly and competent staff, cleanliness, nice landscaping and good value. The room was basic with 2 very comfortable queen beds, small but adequate bathroom, good air conditioning, mini fridge and 5 cup coffee maker (a microwave would be a nice addition).

The disappointment was the balcony. It was about 3 ft by 8 ft with a small table and 2 chairs and railing. It had a nice ocean view, but it was mostly enclosed by Plexiglas (I think to protect the external part of the air conditioner). Plexiglass was across the entire bottom and most of the top except for a 2 ft. gap in the middle. It felt very claustrophobic and the hot exhaust from the AC made it very uncomfortable. Even with the AC off, it was not pleasant enough to sit out there and enjoy the view and ocean breezes. If you value a view and sitting outside in the evening, there are better choices.

I would recommend the Islander with a reservation about the balcony.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2009

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Islander Motel. The motel was close to Manteo/Roanoke Island, Highway 12 going to Hatteras, and Tanger Outlet mall. As others have stated, the motel is an older establishment, but it is very well maintained. When I made the reservation, I was somewhat skeptical about what type of room we would get when we arrived. The rate was only $86 per night for an oceanfront room, and the room was much nicer than we anticipated. The landscaping is immaculate with picnic tables and grills, and a small pool area. The mattress on the bed was very comfortable, and we slept great. The bathroom was small, but very clean. We stayed in room 207, and the view was fabulous. You could actually see the ocean from the bed which isn't something you can do at the larger motels. We could open the door to the balcony and listen to the sound of the waves. Before traveling to Nags Head, I reviewed the motels in the area extensively and even called a few of them. When I called the Islander, the staff was very friendly. The Islander only had an efficiency available for the first night of our stay, but they accomodated us by moving us to an oceanfront room for the next three nights. We had gone out to breakfast the following morning, and when we got back to the motel, the housekeeping staff had our oceanfront room ready and had even moved our luggage to the room. If you prefer a more modern motel, then this place is not for you, but if you just want a relaxing time at the beach, then I would highly recommend the Islander. We saved a lot of money that we were able to spend on other things.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Owens' Motel
Owens' Motel
#13 of 13 in Nags Head

Been to Islander Motel? Share your experiences!