“Great Stay!”
Review of Surf Side Hotel

Surf Side Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I hate to write this review as I would like to keep this hotel to myself. But in the interest of anyone
looking for a clean, well run hotel, this is the place. I do not usually write hotel reviews but was
very impressed from the time we checked in to when we left the next morning. The room was incredibly clean with nice soap and toiletries. This is a cut above most of the midrange chain hotels we have stayed at. The surprise breakfast was great as I did not know
about it when I made the reservation. All the fruit was freshly cut and there was a good variety of yogurt, waffles and breads. Coffee and Tazo teas also. We also received an email after our stay thanking us for our visit. Great hotel and great staff - we will definitely be staying here again in the future.

2  Thank Shanigirl1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,639)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

My 88 year old father and I spent 3 great nights here. We had the perfect room for our needs. The top floor offers rooms with a loft which really means you are getting 2 bedrooms! The room and property were all well maintained and comfortable. I would like to have seen some table and umbrellas around the pool area. That is a suggestion and not a criticism. My only complaint is directed toward the beach chair rental company, Go Dog Go. Although they were recommended by the hotel they are NOT part of the hotel. I am copying below the e mail which I sent to them 5 days ago. I have not had the courtesy of a reply. By all means stay at this wonderful hotel but choose another rental company if you need beach chairs!
Dear Ms. White,

Please recall that on last Wednesday I gave you 50.00 for 2 days rental of an umbrella and 2 chairs. This was at the Surfside Hotel for my elderly father and myself. Thursday morning the weather was not the greatest but as I was beginning my walk, your associate was sitting up our chairs and umbrella for the day. I commented to her that I sure hope the weather will improve and I can use them later. About an hour later, as I had completed my walk, she was in the process of taking the chairs down. She informed me you had called and stated the weather was going to be bad all day and to leave. I inquired about getting a refund back for the day (25.00). I was told no refunds occur due to weather condition.

I certainly understand that policy if you were renting for an entire week and on one of the days bad weather occurred. In hindsight, I should have just paid each day separately, I suppose. I didn't see any possible issues and thought it would be more convenient for both of us to pay both days in advance. Ms. White if you will also recall, around noon that day the weather improved for the rest of the day. You or your associate never returned to set up the chairs for us. We would have certainly been able to use and enjoy them for that afternoon, especially since we were there for only 2 days! I enjoyed that location and hotel and very likely will return next year. I will also most likely need to rent chairs again. Your response to this e mail will decide if I will do business with your company in the future. I will wait your reply at which time I will gladly let you have my address to send a refund check.

Room Tip: The top floor loft rooms were unique and is like getting 2 bedrooms!
2  Thank VaTarheel2014
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed here for 10 days around the middle of May 2014 and, like previous stays, the experience of the view, the accommodations and the staff was terrific. Having only planned a few days stay, we had to move a couple of times because of previous bookings. Each room we stayed in was great. The location is excellent for shopping, sightseeing, the island of Manteo and points south toward Okracoke Island. Do your best to get an oceanfront room; it's well worth it. Amply parking; I believe they have expanded the parking area since the last visit. The time of year was good as well; not a lot of traffic and easy access to a comfortably populated beach. I've traveled to the OBX for many years and this is my favorite place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dr._Jack_L._Edwards
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Everything was done well. The room was very spacious and the view great. Breakfast was quality with great fresh fruit, hearty coffee, and good starches. Ice and cold water were plentiful. The location in South Nags Head is great since you don't have to spend a lot of time on the strip getting to where you want to do.

1  Thank Kim G
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Great hospitality! Great room,great breakfast and great staff! Good location for food and fishing and shopping.. Overall a great area and place to stay. Pools and rooms were clean and well maintained. AAA+++ rating from us.

1  Thank Bernard K
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Enjoyed our 3 days at Surf Side Hotel. Liked that it was clean and the view was wonderful. Also, being beach side made our morning walk that much more enjoyable. The breakfast room was a delightful surprise. There was fresh fruit, juices, delicious pastry and all kinds of rolls with sausage and hard boiled eggs. Selections allowed for a healthy breakfast. We will return for sure.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor, if you can, to ensure the best views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank elaine4977
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Before arriving at Surf side, we stayed two nights at another hotel. I was very disappointed that we didn't stay at Surf side the whole time. We were on the second floor in an oceanfront room that was clean, nicely decorated and roomy with two balconies that had amazing views and we were so close to the ocean that we could hear the waves crashing on the beach from our room. The hotel amenities were well maintained and the woman that ran the breakfast room was very meticulous and made sure guests were well taken care of. We are looking forward to staying here again very soon and "shutter" at the thought of staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Stay in a room on the second floor or above and you won't be disappointed with the views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#3 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Surf Side Hotel? Share your experiences!