“Another Nice Stay But Pull Out Sofa Bed Miserable”
Review of Surf Side Hotel

Surf Side Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Nags Head, North Carolina
“Another Nice Stay But Pull Out Sofa Bed Miserable”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have stayed at the Surf Side at least 8 times, and this continues to be our favorite Nags Head hotel. Quality of service was terrific, rooms were clean, pools clean, pool towel service convenient, breakfast fine. Two things that really need to be improved...the pull out sofa was miserable and the A/C unit was horribly loud. We had an efficiency in the south building. The king bed was super comfy and the room was huge and clean. Plenty of space for five people, but we will never stay in a room again with a pull out. It was THAT BAD.

Room Tip: Get an ocean front room with a balcony. It's worth it.
1 Thank JAS921

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 June 2014

After researching many properties in Nags Head, we decided to go with Surf Side for our OBX vacation. We had an ocean front room on the second floor...the view of the ocean was breathtaking. We fell asleep to the sound of the waves every night and got to see amazing sun rises.

Parking was never an issue, nor was getting a spot by the pool or beach. The beach is extremely close and literally right off of the pool walk way.

Customer service was standard. We didn't really have anything go wrong, so we didn't have too much experience with staff. The little bit we did was positive.

The breakfast was pretty nice. Your standard fare, but many choices to fill you up. No complaints, and the free breakfast made it more convenient.

My only suggestion would be to put a small hand held broom and dust pan in each room. Being on the ocean, the room can get very full of sand. It would have been nice to sweep up the sand in the bathroom so it didn't track all over.

I also don't know why there are not any exhaust fans in the bathrooms...boy can it get hot in there after a shower, and living with 3 stinky boys it sure would come in handy. I guess that would be my second suggestion.

Overall, our stay was quite pleasant. We loved every minute of our OBX vacation.

Room Tip: For some reason the price difference between a first floor and second floor ocean front was no diffe...
2 Thank Jen U
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This past week was our 3rd stay at Surfside and they continue to impress. The hotel is clean and well maintained and everyone is as friendly as can be. The free breakfast is great with the addition of waffles and sausage since our last stay a couple of years ago. The pool is always clean and the beach is never crowded. Great to have both options for the kids. Great views even from the first floor rooms. We will be back.

1 Thank scott h
Fishersville, Virginia
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This was a first time visit for my family and I. When I walked into the hotel, I approached the check-in desk. The clerk, Patty did not even bother to look up let alone greet me and welcome me to the establishment. I tried to hand a photo I.D., a credit card and a AAA card. She made no attempt to take them from me to verify who I was or my billing. When she made eye contact with me she looked very confused. I did notice she had plenty of time to give suggestions to her surrounding co-workers. She seems like a rude lady that should be working in a different work field. She never used my name even once during the transaction. My husband had originally made the reservation for me and had held the room with his credit card. When I informed the clerk that I wanted to leave the balance on my own credit card, it seemed to be too big of a concept for her to grasp. I am a front desk manager at a four diamond rated property. I chose to stay at this property because they had received a wonderful rating and I felt I would receive great service. Based on that experience alone, I would never recommend this property. When looking to hiring outstanding staff, make sure it is someone that makes the guest feel comfortable!

7 Thank Ramona S
Poquoson, Va
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I hate to write this review as I would like to keep this hotel to myself. But in the interest of anyone
looking for a clean, well run hotel, this is the place. I do not usually write hotel reviews but was
very impressed from the time we checked in to when we left the next morning. The room was incredibly clean with nice soap and toiletries. This is a cut above most of the midrange chain hotels we have stayed at. The surprise breakfast was great as I did not know
about it when I made the reservation. All the fruit was freshly cut and there was a good variety of yogurt, waffles and breads. Coffee and Tazo teas also. We also received an email after our stay thanking us for our visit. Great hotel and great staff - we will definitely be staying here again in the future.

2 Thank Shanigirl1
Staunton, Virginia
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My 88 year old father and I spent 3 great nights here. We had the perfect room for our needs. The top floor offers rooms with a loft which really means you are getting 2 bedrooms! The room and property were all well maintained and comfortable. I would like to have seen some table and umbrellas around the pool area. That is a suggestion and not a criticism. My only complaint is directed toward the beach chair rental company, Go Dog Go. Although they were recommended by the hotel they are NOT part of the hotel. I am copying below the e mail which I sent to them 5 days ago. I have not had the courtesy of a reply. By all means stay at this wonderful hotel but choose another rental company if you need beach chairs!
Dear Ms. White,

Please recall that on last Wednesday I gave you 50.00 for 2 days rental of an umbrella and 2 chairs. This was at the Surfside Hotel for my elderly father and myself. Thursday morning the weather was not the greatest but as I was beginning my walk, your associate was sitting up our chairs and umbrella for the day. I commented to her that I sure hope the weather will improve and I can use them later. About an hour later, as I had completed my walk, she was in the process of taking the chairs down. She informed me you had called and stated the weather was going to be bad all day and to leave. I inquired about getting a refund back for the day (25.00). I was told no refunds occur due to weather condition.

I certainly understand that policy if you were renting for an entire week and on one of the days bad weather occurred. In hindsight, I should have just paid each day separately, I suppose. I didn't see any possible issues and thought it would be more convenient for both of us to pay both days in advance. Ms. White if you will also recall, around noon that day the weather improved for the rest of the day. You or your associate never returned to set up the chairs for us. We would have certainly been able to use and enjoy them for that afternoon, especially since we were there for only 2 days! I enjoyed that location and hotel and very likely will return next year. I will also most likely need to rent chairs again. Your response to this e mail will decide if I will do business with your company in the future. I will wait your reply at which time I will gladly let you have my address to send a refund check.

Room Tip: The top floor loft rooms were unique and is like getting 2 bedrooms!
2 Thank VaTarheel2014
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed here for 10 days around the middle of May 2014 and, like previous stays, the experience of the view, the accommodations and the staff was terrific. Having only planned a few days stay, we had to move a couple of times because of previous bookings. Each room we stayed in was great. The location is excellent for shopping, sightseeing, the island of Manteo and points south toward Okracoke Island. Do your best to get an oceanfront room; it's well worth it. Amply parking; I believe they have expanded the parking area since the last visit. The time of year was good as well; not a lot of traffic and easy access to a comfortably populated beach. I've traveled to the OBX for many years and this is my favorite place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Surf Side Hotel? Share your experiences!