“Our stay at Surf Side in Nags Head”
Review of Surf Side Hotel

Surf Side Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Our stay at Surf Side in Nags Head”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We found the hotel as depicted on the web site. The room was very clean and conveniently located. Everyone was friendly as well as very helpful. It was quiet and most comfortable. We would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gayle G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and I spent a long weekend at Surf Side in June. It was a great experience. The rooms were clean and well appointed. We stayed in the smaller building oceanfront on the second floor and had a nice view of the ocean just over the dunes. I imagine the first floor didn't have much of an ocean view. All the rooms in the larger building appeared to have good ocean views even if they weren't oceanfront. Our room was grouped with two others, with a door leading to them on a small hall. I imagine if you booked far enough in advance you could rent all the rooms and have a nice suite for your entire family. Only drawback was that the AC unit was very loud and had to run constantly to dehumidify the room. The hotel is in a good location, just a short drive or bike ride from a number of good restaurants and Jeanette's pier. We will be back.

Room Tip: First floor on second building has obstructed ocean views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WaterdogILM
Nags Head, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have stayed at the Surf Side at least 8 times, and this continues to be our favorite Nags Head hotel. Quality of service was terrific, rooms were clean, pools clean, pool towel service convenient, breakfast fine. Two things that really need to be improved...the pull out sofa was miserable and the A/C unit was horribly loud. We had an efficiency in the south building. The king bed was super comfy and the room was huge and clean. Plenty of space for five people, but we will never stay in a room again with a pull out. It was THAT BAD.

Room Tip: Get an ocean front room with a balcony. It's worth it.
1 Thank JAS921
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 June 2014

After researching many properties in Nags Head, we decided to go with Surf Side for our OBX vacation. We had an ocean front room on the second floor...the view of the ocean was breathtaking. We fell asleep to the sound of the waves every night and got to see amazing sun rises.

Parking was never an issue, nor was getting a spot by the pool or beach. The beach is extremely close and literally right off of the pool walk way.

Customer service was standard. We didn't really have anything go wrong, so we didn't have too much experience with staff. The little bit we did was positive.

The breakfast was pretty nice. Your standard fare, but many choices to fill you up. No complaints, and the free breakfast made it more convenient.

My only suggestion would be to put a small hand held broom and dust pan in each room. Being on the ocean, the room can get very full of sand. It would have been nice to sweep up the sand in the bathroom so it didn't track all over.

I also don't know why there are not any exhaust fans in the bathrooms...boy can it get hot in there after a shower, and living with 3 stinky boys it sure would come in handy. I guess that would be my second suggestion.

Overall, our stay was quite pleasant. We loved every minute of our OBX vacation.

Room Tip: For some reason the price difference between a first floor and second floor ocean front was no diffe...
2 Thank Jen U
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This past week was our 3rd stay at Surfside and they continue to impress. The hotel is clean and well maintained and everyone is as friendly as can be. The free breakfast is great with the addition of waffles and sausage since our last stay a couple of years ago. The pool is always clean and the beach is never crowded. Great to have both options for the kids. Great views even from the first floor rooms. We will be back.

1 Thank scott h
Fishersville, Virginia
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This was a first time visit for my family and I. When I walked into the hotel, I approached the check-in desk. The clerk, Patty did not even bother to look up let alone greet me and welcome me to the establishment. I tried to hand a photo I.D., a credit card and a AAA card. She made no attempt to take them from me to verify who I was or my billing. When she made eye contact with me she looked very confused. I did notice she had plenty of time to give suggestions to her surrounding co-workers. She seems like a rude lady that should be working in a different work field. She never used my name even once during the transaction. My husband had originally made the reservation for me and had held the room with his credit card. When I informed the clerk that I wanted to leave the balance on my own credit card, it seemed to be too big of a concept for her to grasp. I am a front desk manager at a four diamond rated property. I chose to stay at this property because they had received a wonderful rating and I felt I would receive great service. Based on that experience alone, I would never recommend this property. When looking to hiring outstanding staff, make sure it is someone that makes the guest feel comfortable!

7 Thank Ramona S
Poquoson, Va
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I hate to write this review as I would like to keep this hotel to myself. But in the interest of anyone
looking for a clean, well run hotel, this is the place. I do not usually write hotel reviews but was
very impressed from the time we checked in to when we left the next morning. The room was incredibly clean with nice soap and toiletries. This is a cut above most of the midrange chain hotels we have stayed at. The surprise breakfast was great as I did not know
about it when I made the reservation. All the fruit was freshly cut and there was a good variety of yogurt, waffles and breads. Coffee and Tazo teas also. We also received an email after our stay thanking us for our visit. Great hotel and great staff - we will definitely be staying here again in the future.

2 Thank Shanigirl1
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Surf Side Hotel? Share your experiences!