“Hospitality At Its Best”

Hampton Inn New Bern
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Oceanside, NY
“Hospitality At Its Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

Last week my husband and brother-in-law needed to make a make quick arrangements to visit New Bern for an unexpected and tragic death in the family. Due to Hurricane Irene's damage of the area, hotel rooms were hard to come by. Luckily, we found a room at the Hampton Inn. Ron, who took the reservation could not promise the non-smoking room we requested, but he offered to ionize the room with a specific type of air freshening treatment to mitigate the after-effects of smoking guests. When I explained the reason for the guys' trip, he offered a bereavement rate for the room, something I would not even have thought to ask for. When the guys arrived 48 hours later, he had in fact located a smoke-free room.for them, in a quiet part of the property so they could recoup and relax during the stressful, emotional family time. When they came home, they referred to Ron as a "rock star". Kindness is always appreciated of course, but at a time like this it is truly wonderful. They found all the staff at the Hampton Inn to be polite, responsive and helpful from the room location to restaurant recommendations. Way to go Hampton Inn!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mabelle805

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Morehead City, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

We evacuated the NC coast to New Bern during hurricane Irene. The hotel was primarily booked with others who had done the same thing. We booked early in the week, online, and made our reservation through Expedia. We arrived at the hotel on Friday afternoon around 4 pm. We checked in and found that we were given a handicap room. I asked to switch rooms but were told the hotel was full and there were no other rooms. Okay, accepted this but found that there were guests arriving after us. Strike one. After watching the news from our room Friday, it appeared as though the hurricane was falling apart and was not going to be as intense at landfall as earlier predicted. My husband and I decided to try to cancel our room for the following night. We were told we would have to pay a cancellation fee equivalent to one nights stay. So basically, we were going to be charged whether we stayed or left. I spoke with Expedia and they said that they did not charge cancellation fees but that the hotel did. I called down to the front desk to explain why we wanted to cancel the 2nd night and that I had made sure by calling Hampton Inn directly at the time of making the reservation to inquire whether we would not have to pay a cancellatin fee, and I was told Hampton Inn did not charge a cancellation fee if canceled by 6 pm same day. The manager on duty told me we would be paying a fee because we booked through Expedia. Oh, and by the way, the hotel offered a special rate to people who booked directly through the hotel for the hurricane evacuation. So....we were paying more than anyone else, and were told that only the people who booked directly with Hampton Inn would be allowed to cancel their reservation in the morning without penalty. Not sure I understand any of it and told the on duty manager, that their policy was totally unfair. After a lenghty debate with her, she finally conceded and allowed me the same option as the rest of the guests which was to be able to wait till morning to cancel rather that canceling right then the night before.So I guess, my recommendation would be to forget Expedia when booking with Hampton Inn, On a good note, the next day they did provide food for the guests, since all the area restaurants were closed. They also provided bingo for those tired of staying in their rooms on Saturday night. The hotel employees were not rude but would not win any gold medals either. I guess a jobs a job. Sorry Hampton Inn, I am truly not one to complain.

Room Tip: Do not expect to get much if you book a room here through Expedia
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Rocky Point, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

This is our second stay at this hotel. We came back because the staff is amazing!!!! They go out of their way to make you feel at home. Everyone here is friendly and courteous. They are very family friendly.. The rooms are very clean. The pool and hot tub area were great. The continential breakfast was always hot and stocked and the ladies there take great pride in taking care of you. Thank you Hampton Inn for being so AWESOME!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank DawnW40
Staten Island, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

Stayed the last 4 or 5 Sunday nights here on the first floor and it was great! Tonight, unfortunately, we are on the second floor. The air conditioner barely works. The whole unit is filthy really, really filthy. I pulled the filter and rinsed it off and tried cleaning up as much filth and dust as I could from the unit to make if preform better, still, barely working. The toilet looks like it hasn't been cleaned.....well.....ever. There are drag marks on the wall. The second floor hall is not air conditioned and has a foul musty odor similar to a pool area locker room. Seems like the second floor is maintained at a bare minimum. So much for joining Hilton Honors. If I can't get the room floor that I reserve, which is the first floor, I will not stay here again. I'm sure there are many, many, many, hotels that will gladly accommodate me, take my money and provide services I'm paying for.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Memphis, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

I wish I could say something better. I adore Hampton Inns. My little girls were very disappointed in the scummy pool. I was frightened of the danger tape surrounding the whirlpool - that had not been drained by the way. Dead plants and flowers adorned the whole site and it was very depressing. when i say dead, I mean completely dried and brown blowing around in the courtyard.
Everytime, and I mean everytime we got on the elevator, a hotel staff person would hop on it and ride one floor down or up. Very discouraging when you are on the 3rd floor. The stairs wouldn't kill some of these people either might I add.

The breakfast was good! But, we were ready to be out of there by then for sure.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank allyallgottago
York Springs, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

The hotel is close to dozens of restaurants and fast food places. It is also convenient to shopping centers and gas stations. We had no problems during our four-night stay. The staff was friendly, the room was clean and quiet. The bathroom was a nice size, as was the room itself. My only complaint with the whole stay was that the free continental breakfast was not as nice as other Hampton Inns we have stayed at. I was looking forward to biscuits and gravy, since we were in the South. The only hot entrees that were offered here were frozen items that we had to microwave ourselves. I missed having a selection of hot breakfast foods from steam trays, like we have had in other places.

I would definitely stay here again if we were to visit the area in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
dalelaboy, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn New Bern, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
Although we appreciate the wonderful review, the Hampton Inn New Bern does serve the full "On the House" hot breakfast. Our breakfast menu includes various hot breakfast offerings throughout the week with biscuits and gravy included on the menu on a rotating schedule. Our property upgraded to the hot breakfast in January 2011 and no longer offers the microwaveable breakfast described in the recent review.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

Convenient to the interstate, The Hampton Inn in New Bern, NC offers a relatively inexpensive alternate to pricey hotels. On the final leg of a two thousand mile road trip, we phoned ahead to see if a room was available. It was late in the day on the Thursday before Memorial Day Weekend. The lady at the Front Desk could not have been more helpful. She reserved us a lovely, clean room for our one night stay. Large and airy, the room was comfortable and the bathroom spotless.

We were taking photos on the hotel grounds when one of the staff offered to snap our picture. She was on her way home, but was not too busy to make our day.

Breakfast the next morning was hot, delicious and complimentary. The breakfast hostess was cheerful and smiling.

New Bern is a very historic area. Unfortunately, we did not have time to explore the terrain. I look forward to visiting New Bern again. I hope the next time we are not just passing through.

Room Tip: Ask about AARP, AAA or CheckInn Card discounts
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple