“Simply Lovely”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Simply Lovely”
Reviewed 13 November 2010

The staff was awesome. The view from the hotel was picture perfect. Great location from which to explore New Bern's historic downtown. Within walking distance of Convention Center. I could not have asked for more.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank GoldenLife_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Blowing Rock, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 October 2010

The staff (Russell, Mr. Frank, Nelson...) always make me feel so welcome. Reg, the mgr. goes above and beyond to make sure guests are comfortable. The location: there is no better. The rooms: CLEAN and comfortable. I have traveled all over the world but I love coming home to the Comfort Suites in New Bern.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank SBRussell
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Do not visit New Bern, NC and especially DO NOT stay at the Comfort Suites, New Bern, NC - Front Street. Move on to Kinston or Washington or Wilmington. My truck was broken into at their parking lot! Hotel Manager/ Owner would not show up while I reported the break-in to the local police. City Police told me crime was bad in New Bern and said the hotel should have better lighting and cameras in the parking area (which the hotel owns) . Hell of a morning. No I'm sorry or what can we do to help. Just dumb look on their face! I asked for a refund and was told they did not FEEL it justified. Sorry, just got $1,100 stolen out of my truck! That's okay, just reported the hotel to the Choice Hotels International, BBB, and my credit card.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
9 Thank Csuitessuxs
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 26 April 2010

The Good:

Location is great. Within walking distance of the downtown area. Right next to the river where you can go for a little stroll.

Bed was comfy and the pillows were nice (they weren't the huge marshmallow ones some hotels use). Towels were soft too.

Microwave and fridge included in room.

Friendly staff.

The Bad:

A little pricy for what you get. Sure it includes the breakfast, but the breakfast was a bit below average compared to other continential breakfasts I've seen (chewy store bought bagels, canned fruit, frozen egg slices, etc.). Great if it was really "free" but the extra cost is included in the overall price.

Also, the breakfast area is a little small (maybe 7 small tables in total for a 4 story hotel). Some people had no room to sit.

The room itself was just OK. A chunk of wallpaper torn off in the bathroom, the shower curtain bar was loose, bath spout coming away from wall, a stain on the desk chair. Sure nothing horrible, but these little things can add up.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chesapeakegoody
Greenville
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Not a bad place to spend a few nights. This one is good because of its location in downtown New Bern. You can walk to just about anywhere in town from here. We stayed over for New Year's. Watched the fireworks from a balcony room facing the Trent River/Neuse River--the in-laws had this room. We had a room on the 2nd floor facing downtown--nice 2 bed room. We had heard the place had undergone a renovation recently with new carpet, linens, bed coverings--it showed--very nice The room could use a bit of care to fix a few small things--wallpaper in bathroom, light cover in bathroom, but it was nothing big. Breakfast was good, and crowded. Wish the breakfast ran from 6-10 instead of 630-930. The best thing about this hotel is its location, location, location. We will definitely go back. BTW--great location base for 4th of July festivities too.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
OH-NC
Reviewed 29 November 2009

My daughter and a fellow Marine were attending the Marine Corp Ball at the New Bern Convention Center across the street from this hotel. My 19 month old grandson was Mommys date for the night since Daddy is currently deployed. I came along to babysit once the little guy got tuckered out.

Originally, my "not so hotel savvy" daughter booked a King Suite thinking it was 2 king beds. I explained to her it would be 1 king bed and possibly a love seat or sofa that may or may not pullout but she disagreed.

Upon arrival, I went in to the lobby to check us in and I asked if the King Suite indeed contained 2 beds. The friendly receptionist, Debbie, stated it was one bed and a sofa. I inquired if the sofa pulled out and she stated it did not. The look on my face alone must have been what prompted her to ask if we needed something more because before I could even ask for an upgrade she quickly offered a river view room with 2 King size beds at no additional charge. I thanked her and said that that would be great as I wasn't relishing the idea of sharing a bed with 2 adult female Marines and a squirmy 19 month old. When she heard we had the little one with us she immediately said, "Hold on, let me do you one better!". After a little more tapping on her computer she said she was giving us a river view room with 2 double beds, a pull out sofa and a balcony, again at no additional charge. I was tickled 16 shades of pink!

The hotel is clean and the reception staff are friendly and always smiling. Russell and the Debs made the trip wonderful for us. They are a great asset to this hotel.

All rooms contain a nice sized fridge and a microwave both tucked away in the entertainment center. Also included are flat screen televisions that swivel with a wide variety of channels. The clock radio has an attachment for an iPod or cell phone too. The pool and hot tub are both outdoors so are seasonal. I believe there is also an exercise facility though I did not get a chance to visit it.

Wifi is available in all of the rooms as well as wired internet. There were several signals to choose from and most were very strong. Connection to wifi was a breeze. They also have a public computer in the hall near the breakfast area. This is open access and not in a room so do not expect much privacy.

Of course the hotel shows signs of "use". Notice I did not say "wear" as it isn't raggedy or worn out. It is really no worse than your own home might be. Nothing stays perfectly spotless when used so to expect a brand new environment from a facility that caters to many people daily is ridiculous. Yes, if you looked around you will find minor scrapes, scuffs or peels. Yes, there was a piece of paint peeling on the balcony and the hem was coming out along about 4 inches of one comforter but WHO CARES? it did not deter from my enjoyment or comfort in any way and my stay was certainly not "ruined" because of it. The hotel is well maintained and the facilities are clean.

Breakfast was a wonderful variety of cereals, fruit, yogurt, breads and muffins, make it yourself waffles, pre-made eggs and french toast that you put into a toaster oven, juices and coffee. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. There was plenty of seating available and the atmosphere was nice. Newspapers are available to read during breakfast if you choose.

The view from the room was amazing. The beds were comfortable and I would return every weekend if I could. In fact, I told my daughter I wanted to live there!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank MonzyWentTo
New Bern NC
Reviewed 15 September 2009

Great Hotel overall.... service is top notch, beautiful location right on the river and the best part is the Air Conditioning worked very well and kept the room cool all day. I stayed in the Suite with me and my girlfriend for 2 nights we were not bothered at all by the staff and the walls are thick so you can't hear the people next door. Bed is very comfortable not cheap and loved the blankets they provided, very cozy. Only downside is that they did not have the room I wanted available that I reserved 2 months in advance but they still gave me a suite but on the 2nd floor instead of the 3rd.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple