“Very nicely done, newish facility”

SpringHill Suites New Bern
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Reviewed 17 May 2011

As other reviews have stated, very clean & neat with very helpful staff and an excellent chain hotel lobby complimentary breakfast. One of the best we've had. The room was spacious with excellent mini-kitchen and sofa/sitting area in addtion to the queen bed. . Bathroom, with sink separated from shower/toilet, very convienent. I could not get onto wireless internet in the room and the front desk staff could not assit. They suggested I contact their service provider- I gave up. Otherwise a most enjoyable, pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 April 2011

This was our first trip to New Bern. This hotel was very clean and nice, we stayed in a Queen double room with a pullout sofa. We had plenty of room for us and 3 kids! the kids loved it. The sink was separate from the shower and toilet which was convenient for us all getting ready at the same time. The one thing I did not like about the bathroom was the placement of the shower! The door leaked because of the way it was made. It didn't seal shut so water leaked out on the floor, there was no way to stop it. That was the only negative - which wasn't a big deal, just let a towel soak up the water. I would think years down the road they may have a mold issue if that's not corrected but as new as the hotel is now, it's not a problem. the kids loved going down to the pantry to get snacks, that was a nice treat since someone always gets the munchies and it's not cool to eat the things you brought with you! The pool was nice and clean, checked out the fitness room and it was nice too. Breakfast was plentiful and well stocked. Better than some other places I've seen. Not just your typical muffin and juice - WAY more than that! I would recommend this hotel to anyone! AND I did read a review about the noise from the air conditioning units and we were on the 4th floor, I think there's only 5 floors and we didn't hear any of that noise so maybe it depends on which room you get. We had room 410 and it was great!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2011

We'd never been to New Bern before. We asked Fayth at the front desk for a dinner recommendation. Not only did she steer us to a fabulous seafood place, she gave us a coupon for 10% off! She also helped us tremendously with info so we could make future reservations at other Marriotts. By the way, the restaurant is Captain Ratty's on Middle St.
Ask for Tara - she hails from LI, NY, just like we do!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2011

I was advised to stay at this hotel by colleagues, who said it was relatively new, was in a good location, and had free breakfast. For the most part, I was not disappointed.

The location was perfect for business in the area...it's the first street after getting off the exit. In addition, as it is right next to the highway, there are a variety of choices of restaurants, stores, gas stations, etc. very close by.

The hotel itself was very clean, looked brand new, and the staff was delightfully helpful. It was nice having the Market downstairs for a sugar fix, reasonably priced soda or other beverage, or a snack.

I was impressed by the suite, which had a mini-fridge, microwave, bar sink, couch, and a comfy chair to help me relax, in addition to all of the regular amenities and a flat screen. The beds were nice - mostly comfortable mattress with heavenly sheets. I was pleasantly surprised to also find paper plates and plastic utensils available in the microwave. If you use these, the front desk has more.

I liked the pressure of the shower, which was a stand alone, but note that if you take a shower in one of these, open the door inward (towards the shower) when you are done. Otherwise, water will get all over the floor. Another problem with the shower is that the gap between the shower door and the remaining glass was too large. This also allowed water to get on the floor. Once I figured out the trick though, I had no further problems.

I was disappointed with the hot breakfast. The eggs were basically egg discs, which did not look appetizing and I was afraid to try. There were waffles (make your own), but after seeing the discs, I really wasn't interested. The bright side was that they had a full continental breakfast (bread, bagels, muffins, yogurt, cereal) and hot oatmeal as well. That satisfied my needs for the most part.

All in all, I really liked this hotel and will likely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MeinMD526
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Everything about our stay was wonderful.

The hotel is very clean, new, and modern.
The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.
The room was spacious. Beds were comfortable. Our King suite had a beautiful walk-in tiled shower.

The drive to downtown New Bern was very quick - maybe 6-7 minutes. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank apswain07
Reviewed 17 September 2010

Very clean, well cared for and comfortable rooms. Great for business or pleasure travelors with small refrig, micro and nice size room.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2010

We didn't have many choices for our last minute stop in New Bern as many hotels were fully booked for the weekend. In making reservation online, was asked if we wanted foam pillows, etc.

Front desk staff friendly and helpful. One breakfast staff person helpful; other was slow and not very happy. Much of the breakfast was still not out at 7:15am; someone knocked on door and requested they come out and turn on juice machine, which took another 5 minutes. The food was good, especially the waffles with bits of raspberries, but I would have liked yogurt, but didn't know it was coming out at 7;15am and we were heading out right after we ate. Hot water dispenser in the evening was not hot. Didn't try the lobby coffee.

We had a King suite. The sitting area was good. Desk was small. TV had snow on some channels and no immediately apparent access to digital broadcast channels, but we were too tired to watch anyway. Space was relatively tight in the sleeping area. Could turn fan/ac on to run continuously, which helps with the problems mentioned with the noisy cycling on/off. Block out curtains, but did not cover entire space so some bright parking lot light around the edges (I always wake up in the night disoriented, thinking it must be morning in such rooms) Walk in shower, but awkward door placement in front of toilet. Small counter area around sink and no place to hang toiletry bag. Bed was firm with lots of pillows.

Despite a family reunion of 50+ people, the hotel was quiet and we got a good nights sleep.

The nearest restaurant is a Golden Corral a block away.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple