“Beds are comfortable and I sleep on Tempurpedic w/ Airmattress Bed”

SpringHill Suites New Bern
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Charleston, SC
“Beds are comfortable and I sleep on Tempurpedic w/ Airmattress Bed”
Reviewed 2 September 2009

These rooms are spacious, clean, and comfortable. When we arrived we greeted warmly, everyone spoke to us kindly during our stay, and we had no problems checking out.

I do sleep on an air mattress with tempurpedic material at home and I had no problems sleeping in in these beds. The pillows are wonderful too.

I am a "clean freak" to the max and get freaked out on bathtubs that don't drain and dirty floors. I had no problems here.

You can feel confident that you will be happy at Springhill New Bern.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I travel to New Bern often to visit family but rarely stay overnight because area hotels are older and charge too much, in my opinion, for what they offer. I watched this property being built and was excited when it finally opened. We stayed one night in July and were pleased with the hotel overall. The three star rating is due to our experience sleeping in the room -- generally what hotels at this level are primarily booked for.

First, let me agree with other reviewers and say the New Bern SpringHill Suites is a very attractive property and a vast improvement over other hotels in New Bern (whose renovations have not helped them at all -- thinking specifically of Springhill Suites' next door neighbor.) While the staff are not most the most experienced, they are friendly and try very hard to please. That goes a long way in my book. However, staff friendliness only goes so far when your sleep is disturbed by loud air conditioning units and/or extremely firm beds. Here's where I explain the three-star rating . . .

The AC units are located under the window and literally beside the bed. When we got in that evening, we set the wall thermostat on 75 and then tried to sleep through the unit cycling on and off every 15-20 minutes. When it switched on, it sounded very much like a leaf blower starting up (albeit one of the more quieter ones.) It boggles my mind why anyone would install these units in a hotel. It is not a subtle noise at all. Now, I will admit to being a light sleeper but -- really -- not THAT light. It was also surprising in this era of "Heavenly Beds" and Marriott's own "Renaissance Beds" that a new hotel installs mattresses that are extremely firm. I'm not someone who sleeps on a pillow top mattress at home. I have a fairly basic mattress that is 10 years old, and I sleep well on it, awakening with no stiffness or aches. Can't say the same of the morning after sleeping on the bed at SpringHill Suites. I assume the choice of mattresses are individualized to each hotel, because I've stayed at numerous SpringHill Suites around the country and always found the beds to be comfortable. Unfortunately, this was not the case in New Bern.

Obviously, if you are a heavy sleeper and prefer a firmer mattress, then you'll have absolutely no issues at this hotel. It's a nice property -- unless, like me, the noise factor and a firm mattress matter to you. That's why I wanted to share my experience and why I probably won't stay at this hotel in the future. Even though it is arguably the nicest hotel in New Bern at the moment.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RedheadedSydney
northcarolina
Reviewed 25 June 2009

This is a great hotel! The rooms are spacious, spotless and very comfortable. They have great treadmills with personal TVs. There is a small indoor pool although I have never used. Breakfast has lots of choices. I always look forward to staying in this hotel!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 15 May 2009

A very nice, clean, new hotel! The staff was great! Very helpful and friendly! Rooms were beautiful! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Upstate SC
Reviewed 6 April 2009

I was at the hotel next door for 1/2 a week the last time I was in New Bern. I left for a combination of reasons (service and smoke) and was very happy with Springhill. Even though I have been staying at the other hotel chain for a long time, when I'm in New Bern I will pick the Springhill over the other. Very nice staff and rooms.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
ernul
Reviewed 22 February 2009

This is the cleanest hotel on the east coast and the people there are phenominal. I travel a lot and this place has top notch and people and facilities. I recommend anyone with an appreciation for class and quality to give this spot a try.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
New Bern
Reviewed 16 February 2009

The staff at the SpringHill was wonderful. They were friendly and went out of there way to make me feel at home. I would recommend this hotel above all others when staying in New Bern.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business