“Creative Cuisine”
Review of 247 Craven

247 Craven
Reserve with OpenTable
247 Craven is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 174 Restaurants in New Bern
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pollock
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This small restaurant in downtown New Bern has a pleasant feel, a nice wood bar and a chef who should be in a much bigger city, but those who live here really hope he stays. Ashley Moser is as creative with a variety of cuisines as any chef I have sampled in Raleigh, D.C., NYC or beyond.
They serve lunch and dinner Tuesday through Saturday and brunch on Sunday. And, once a month, they feature a special wine dinner that focuses on the cuisine and wine of a particular country or region. If you can get to one of these, do not miss the chance.
We attended a Portuguese wine dinner recently and it was superb. The first course was a light fried bacalhau (cod) fish fritter and second course was caldo verde, a classic Portuguese soup based on greenery (kale here) with the added touches of cauliflower, liguica (sausage) and thin fried cornbread. The wines for each were a Spanish reserve Brut (Portugal has no real bubbly wine) and a nice medium light white from the famous Douro wine region of northern Portugal. The third course was lobster with a piri piri sauce (spicy and flavorful), fennel and arugula. The two wines were a Vinho Verde and a lovely Douro red. Carne de porco A'Alentejana (classic Portuguese shredded pork and clams) was the fourth course, with duck fat potato sections and another fine Douro red wine. The fifth and final course was hanger steak Con un Buo A Cavalo with mushrooms, accompanied by a slight sweet Quinta de Garrida Vinho Tinto. Every guest looked very happy when they left.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Terrific food in a freindly atmosphere.. fun bar.... southern specialties were a hit. located right in the middle of town.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Ate here July 4th weekend. Great menu. I had beef, wife had shellfish, friends had the special which was sea bass. Everything was top notch, from the drink selections to the sides (the mac and cheese was fantastic) and the entrees and desserts. And the service was impeccable. I just don't understand the negative reviews here. next time we're in New Bern, we will definitely be back.

1  Thank awc88
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My girlfriend and I recently moved to New Bern, NC and we have been going out a lot to explore the town and finding local eateries and events has been a joy. A week ago (July 2014) we decided to try 247 Craven for brunch because we had heard they had a good one. So we decided to go since it was right next to Morgan's Tavern which is our favorite. Once we stepped inside, everything went downhill.

The front of house area is TINY and very crammed. Although 3 servers were working an average of 3-5 tables each, we waited at the door (no host) for a solid 5 minutes before one of the overworked servers was able to get to us. Once we sat down, the clustered layout did not allow for any type of conversation or romantic feel and if you don't know your order immediately, good luck doing meal this in a reasonable amount of time. The server took around another 5 minutes just to get two waters to the table but it was fine since we wanted to look over the menu closely.

The menu had basic brunch items and a couple off the wall things that were a little too out there for me but no points were taken off by me for that creative freedom. The problem was that they were out of so many items the already small menu was cut down to just a couple of items.

I wish the negative could end there but it doesn't. The meal took more than 30 minutes to get to our table and it was basic breakfast items like grits, toast, eggs and bacon. I couldn't tell you if something was wrong in the kitchen to cause this timing issue but the food itself came out how I expected it to. The final problem was getting the check, I worked in restaurants for years in high school and college and I understand things can happen, but it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to get a check. We ended up just guessing what the price was, adding the tip and leaving cash on the table because we had been done for awhile and we were completely over the clustered, loud and unwelcoming space.

I'll give 247 Craven one last shot (at a time other than brunch) but I don't foresee it going better than my first trip.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Server spilled a meal off the plate onto the table and then proceeded to place the food back on the plate and serve it to us. Really?! Unprofessional to say the least. .

2  Thank YorktownBob