“Excellent contemporary restaurant in downtown New Bern”
Review of 247 Craven

247 Craven
Reserve with OpenTable
247 Craven is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 174 Restaurants in New Bern
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pollock
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We visited 247 Craven for an early dinner in August on a Saturday night. We arrived early ahead of our reservation time. The staff was warm and welcoming and seated us promptly. We were brought warm bread - always a plus! Our server recommended a nice wine to go with dinner. The food was beautifully plated and delicious. The grilled Caesar salad was a highlight and the waitress graciously offered an off-menu cheeseburger to my daughter. The service was thoughtful and attentive. Although the atmosphere is casual at 247 Craven, I felt that the food and service were on par with more elegant restaurants. We loved our experience and would highly recommend the restaurant.

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Driving around New Bern on a Sunday morning looking for a parking place we found one right across the street from 247. The next thing we were looking for was a late breakfast. Brunch must have been over. Ordered off the menu. Basic breakfast. Bacon, eggs, grits, toast, coffee. It was good. Service was good. Will be back.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

If you're near downtown New Bern searching for a place to eat, look no further. 247 Craven had fast and friendly service, delicious food, and was well priced. My co-worker and I stopped here for lunch while passing through New Bern and we both agreed it was an excellent dining experience.

Tip: Thursdays at lunch the special is an open faced cheeseburger and fries smothered in homemade gravy. Yes, this sounds kinda gross, but it is so tasty!

Reviewed 9 August 2014

247 Craven was recommended to us by friends of friends who used to live in New Bern. We're glad we tried it and would likely pay a return visit. Overall, the food was very good and our waiter was attentive. The atmosphere, a small dining room in the heart of downtown is generally what we enjoy and 247 Craven didn't disappoint. My wife ordered their version of a pork tenderloin which was done to near perfection, accented by a truly southern delicacy, a pickled peach. (Something I read about recently while re-reading a book about rural southern life in the 1920s)

I ordered the risotto topped with scallops, shrimp and lump crab meat. The seafood items were fresh and tasty. My only criticism would be the risotto itself. I thought it was just a bit on the bland tasting side. My own versions and those of my daughter, who is an excellent home chef, have a much bolder flavor and nutty texture. (Trade secret: we base ours on Giada DiLaurentis' recipes)

We're finding that many restaurants featuring new southern style cuisine rely heavily on pickled accents and relishes and 247 Craven seems to fall into that category. Personally, I'm not a huge fan, but that's just me.

The restaurant offers patrons a nice evening out with relatively inventive meal preps. When in New Bern, give it a try.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We enjoyed a wine dinner a while back and had a great time enjoying wine pairings with a very creative menu! We have eaten here a few times in the last 6 months and enjoyed the normal menu. But I recommend attending a wine dinner because Chef Ashley does a terrific job of blending his creativeness in the kitchen with his wine providers. The reason I'm giving only 4 stars is because this particular wine dinner started late due to waiting for some people. I wouldn't have been concerned over a few minutes, but a half hour is too long. To his credit, Ashley did bring out some apps and broke out some wine. We enjoyed some very interesting courses like asparagus, 75 degree egg and crispy speck, as well as braised oxtail and other unusual dishes. If you're a bit adventurous, I highly recommend trying a 247 Craven Wine Dinner. Additionally, this wine provider was very entertaining and made the evening a lot of fun. And the wine pours were quite generous! We'll definitely attend another!