“Exceeded expectations!”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Greenville, North Carolina
“Exceeded expectations!”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

A Best Western would normally be way down my list of hotels that I would for an overnight stay. When I travel, i like to stay at unique and memorable properties and I'm willing to spend more money for these kinds of hotels. This hotel was a VERY pleasant surprise! I had a very early morning flight out of Coastal Carolina Regional Airport (EWN) in New Bern, NC and decided to spend the night close by. The hotel is right across the highway from the airport so it met that need. The hotel was clean, the receptionist was friendly and helpful - even at almost 11 p.m. - and the public spaces were pleasant and well-decorated. When I opened the door to the room, I was amazed! The room was larger than I expected, the bathroom was spacious and comfortable and the bed was perfect. The room was tastefully decorated, obviously clean and fresh and just restful. I don't know that I'll have an occasion to stay there again soon but I would recommend this hotel to anyone who needs accommodations in New Bern. By the way, this was the first hotel I've stayed in that had a cover on the TV remote designed to be cleaned. Nice touch!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Upon reaching this hotel I had some doubts. But to be very honest I was somewhat surprised and it was a good surprise. This hotel is like new. The front desk service gets an A+ from me. My room was rather large as well as my bathroom. They had a nice indoor pool with a jacuzzi. I rates cleanliness poor due to a situation with my room which management already knows of. The hotel is located walking distance to many places to eat at. I will for sure stay again of I am ever in the area.

• Stayed June 2012
North Carolina
Reviewed 22 June 2012

As a few other reviews mentioned, this hotel is not "riverside" - New Bern is riverside, but this hotel is not. It sits back off a stretch of route 70 in an unassuming spot. There is no view, period- unless you like to look at townies cruising mcdonalds at 2am.
However- there are some pluses to this hotel. First, it is immaculately clean. The room was spotless and hypoallergenic. That is more than I can say for the Croatan National Forest, which was on fire during my visit, and dropping bits of white ash on my car and filling the lungs of Eastern NC with smoke. That's what they apparently call a controlled burn.
Anyway, the hotel was clean and quiet and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The bottle of water in your room is complimentary, rather than predatory. There is a continental breakfast but I have a thing for Waffle House, which is right there along with a Ruby Tuesday and the afore mentioned mcdonalds. The beds were comfy- they informed me that they charge more for king beds than for a double room, so if you book through a travel site and don't specify, you'll end up with queen beds instead of a king and they won't really help you over the phone. The prices are extremely good, particularly for the boutique style newish hotel (just a couple years old). I ended up with this gem using priceline and was surprised at the lack of a river, but happy with the price.
I would stay in this hotel again if I needed a clean, friendly dependable place to sleep. I think it would be nice in the winter because of its indoor pool. So that's it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank andogg
Concord, NC
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Stayed here on business after conference hotels in town were booked. Very surprised generally how nice the place looked for a Best Western, I guess that why is called a Plus. Rooms were nice, modern, and confortable. Breakfast was ok, and rate was very good for what you get. Free Wifi was nice too. Hotel has only one elevator which was actually difficult to find when first checking in.

Room Tip: Stayed on the back side "odd number room" away from road.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank rpwalter
Asheville, NC
Reviewed 4 April 2012

What a surprise to find out that the Riverside Inn is not on the river, or within vision of any water. When I asked about it, the staff explained that the city is between two rivers so the whole town is 'riverside'. She went on to say that I was not the only one who had been confused by name. However, if you don't mind the lack of view, it is one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in including ones at twice the cost. The rooms are stylish and the linens are upscale. I definitely would book this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank melkope
Glen Allen, Virginia
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I stayed here in Nov and again in Dec, with another visit coming in late Jan. The desk staff was courteous, both times I was able to check in early because I'd arrived earlier than expected. They had the best price for the area, the room was clean, wi-fi was fast, there was a good selection of channels on TV, and the breakfast had a decent number of choices. The location wasn't bad nor hard to get to - walking distance to McDonalds, Ruby Tuesday, and a convenience store. A short drive to downtown New Bern, with quick and easy access to the interstate. An excellent value for the price.

Room Tip: Upper floors a bit quieter.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rick L
Satellite Beach, Florida
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I can no longer rely on reviews when i make my decision to stay places now. Only because the ones on this site have to be false or fake people making them. I in no way enjoyed my stay at this place. I got tired of hearing the kids complain about how tired the were so we decided to catch a good nights sleep and stay at a best western. WRONG, i could hear each and ever single footstep on the floor below me, beside me, and can clearly hear the conversations of people in neighboring rooms. Desk lady working at the time was very rude and when we asked for any kind of assistance we were greeted by hostility and resentment. So thank you for making sure we never again stay in new bern nc.

Room Tip: Keep driving to next town
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family