“A different way to tour New Bern”

Lookout Lady Scenic River Tours of New Bern-Day Boat Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Step aboard and cruise calm inland waters on a comfortable, stable catamaran. US Coast Guard licensed and inspected for 49 passengers. Enjoy natures beauty on a 2-hour fully narrated relaxing cruise, while seeing New Bern's picturesque and historical waterfront in its splendor. Cruise pas Millionaire's row (including Nicholas Spark's house) & Riverbend. See osprey nests and possibly sightings of deer, otters or even alligators."
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

I thought it would be fun to try a different way to tour New Bern so we booked a tour for sunset on the only day we were in town. We had taken a tour with a completely different company in Wilmington and was so disappointed so i was uncertain what to expect with the cruise in New Bern.

Of course you can't control the weather and they had to cancel the sunset cruise but luckily i was able to rebook it for the next day before we left.

You definately get your moneys worth! Its a nice two hour tour where you learn a little about the history of New Bern, boating, crabbing, wildlife, and see some beautiful houses (one of which is Nicholas Sparks house!) The captain and his co-captain (dont know the technical term) were very nice and informative! It was a little breezy at the front of the boat so he gave me a poncho to drape over my legs. It helped a lot! He also offered to take everyones pictures at the end of the tour! All in all it was great fun and worth the money! Just note you may get sprayed some depending on where you sit on the boat (we were in the front) and it might be a little breezy. The captain doesnt go super fast and tries to be aware of how much water is spraying on you, sometimes its unavoidable though

2  Thank a_dreamrers_night

Reviewed 1 May 2013

My family and I rode the cruise April 28, 2013. The cruise captain/co captain were very friendly and knowledgeable. Unfortunately Scenic River Cruises overcharged my account. When I called to point out the mistake I was told the flyer I had was last year's prices and there was nothing they could do for me. I feel they should have refunded the difference for good customer service as it was not my fault the travel agent where the flyer came from was old (2012).The flyer does not state anything about price changes without notice. I will not recommend this cruise to anyone. How disappointing this company chose to not to do the right thing.

4  Thank Timothy126
George A, Owner at Lookout Lady Scenic River Tours of New Bern-Day Boat Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

While we are happy this patron had a great time on the river, we are discouraged by the terrible rating. It is the policy of Tour New Bern to speak directly to customers when booking reservations. During this process, we explain in detail our amount per person and exactly how much will be charged on their card. This customer had no problem during her transaction and spoke directly with our friendly office staff.

As you all can see the tour is a guaranteed good time,which is even stated in this rated 'terrible' review. The 2013 price per tour is posted not only on our website, but also on printed brochures distributed in New Bern, the surrounding area and throughout the State.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

I recently took a group of 28 adults from my church on the Lookout Lady and I must say that every contact with them (calling for information, booking & confirming, etc.) was a pleasant experience. Our captain and first mate were very accomodating and helpful in getting us all on board and comfortable. We all thought the cruise was excellent and enjoyed the captain's narrative on everything from early settlers to local wildlife to commerical crabbing techniques! A special treat for us was that the megayacht Seafair was scheduled to leave the New Bern Grand Marina while we were on our tour so the captain monitored their progress and had us back just in time to watch Seafair go through the draw bridge and pass under the highrise bridge over the Neuse! This was a great "group" tour experience and I highly recommend it as a relaxing way to see and learn about New Bern's waterfront. What a great addition to downtown!

2  Thank Ronnie H
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Okay so the first thing I must state, I have been on plenty of ferry boats in my day and this was the first time in my life I got seasick (disorientation wise, never got nauseous)! I will not let that ruin my review because I know it would have been an awesome experience if it were not short lived. The captain and co-captain were extremely nice and comforting. The moment we got on I was so afraid and hopped off. The captain convinced me back on and gave me some of his personal ginger snaps. Very sweet! The tour itself, they gave a lot of history and didn't leave any of the scenery unexplained! Unfortunately, he told me if I couldn't make it through the ride, they would take me back and while they were passing the dock, I had to take him up on that offer. It was very unfortunate that we weren't able to finish because I know we would have enjoyed the rest of the tour. The cap and co-cap made me feel not so bad about the situation and that is why the received 5 stars! With better preparedness on my end, I would take the tour again.

1  Thank SESunshine
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We wanted to take the Sunset Cruise of New Bern. We went to "the Hilton Hotel & New Bern Convention Center. New Bern Grand Marina, Dock F" as the New Bern Boat Tours website indicated. There was NO ONE available to book our cruise. The Harbor Master/Dock Master seemed overly annoyed when we asked about the tour. She tersely told us to just call the number on the sign out front (LOVE the customer service!!). We called the number for the New Bern Boat Tours and NO ONE answered the phone (NICE!!). We chose to spend our tourist $$ elsewhere.

7  Thank kimmieusa
George A, Owner at Lookout Lady Scenic River Tours of New Bern-Day Boat Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

If you read the rest of our reviews you will see that we take our business very serious. We have nothing but compliments on all of our cruises. There were no advance reservations made due to the imminent weather forecast for that evening (thunderstorms). Our cruises are by reservation. The lady in the dock office is not employed by the Lookout Lady and is not a representative of our company. However she is usually very helpful & courteous with the public. The reason for the phone not being answered that evening was that the captain was rushed to the hospital and could not answer the phone. The back up captain was not available as we had no reservations for the trip. We are sorry for any inconvenience but we have been doing this for 31 years in various locations & have never had any kind of complaint like that. As a matter of fact we are one of the only ones in the business that answers the phone 24 hours a day even after the office closes. Again, we do apologize that you were unable to join us on a cruise and hope that you will give us a chance to serve you next time you are in the area.

Travellers who viewed Lookout Lady Scenic River Tours of New Bern-Day Boat Tours also viewed

New Bern, North Carolina Coast