“Lovely, simple synagogue”

Temple B'nai Sholem
Reviewed 6 February 2013

We were doing a 10 km walk around this lovely city and almost missed this simple 1908 one story structure surrounded by many stately churches on Middle St. On the outside it has the 10 commandments in Hebrew over the door and a simple Star of David. It fits right in with everything else in this beautiful historic city.

4  Thank Pnemiller
Reviewed 1 January 2013

i discovered this building by chance. Driving around New Bern I passed it. I am sorry that it was not open the day that I was there. I do hope to learn more about this congregation.

1  Thank Courthouse067
Reviewed 29 June 2012

New Bern was a stop on our way to a wedding in the Outer Banks. It turned out to be one of the nicest visits in our trip across the US south east. We decided to check out the synagogue and arrived to find a couple of the community leaders who told us the story of the temple and the congregation.

The temple was built in 1904 and is home to more than 150 families that are involved with Jewish life in the area. It is a beautiful building and is still very much a live today.

One of the most unique things about the temple is that it holds one of the only surviving bible scrolls from WWII in Europe when the Nazis where burning scrolls to exterminate the remnants of Jewish culture and religion. I Found it extremely symbolic that the scroll made it to the US where the Jewish community today is undergoing a wonderful cultural Renaissance.

11  Thank ECfromTA