“Nothing fancy but has good food.”
Review of White's Family Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 4 May 2013

If you are looking for atmosphere, go someplace else. If you are looking for some good "home-cooking" this place is very, very good!!! Lunch specials with really good veggies. Breakfast is also very good. :)

Reviewed 9 March 2013

Ms Deb sure knows how to cook. Love her specials. Come for breakfast and stay for lunch. Still will spend less than a meal in a chain restaurant. Veggies straight out of her garden. From fried biscuits for breakfast to the best fried chicken around....dang.... now I'm hungry.....go see for yourself.. I'm a regular - and you will see the pictures of all the regulars on the wall

1  Thank DoxieMommaNewBern_NC
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Had a nice lunch when we were in town at White's. Good food and again treated the kids really well. That is important to my wife and I when visiting from up North

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Don't let the "For Sale" sign fool you: White's is open for business. And doing well. The property may sell, but they will still be here. And there are always a lot of cars. My wife and I love White's. Their buttermilk biscuits are consistently top notch. We've eaten here about eight times since September and their biscuits are always beyond compare. Tall, light, flaky, wonderful! The service is friendly Southern country-style. Everyone is Honey and Darlin'. And most of the folks eating here are regulars. So, my 5 stars is for their biscuits, the warm service and the very low prices. We-two generally eat there for $12. Where else can you do that?

The "NewBernReviewer" is accurate in all that he says. Read all the details. This is a real hidden jewel. But remember this is a Southern country-style restaurant. Service is great. Biscuits especially are tops. Value is the best in town.

The atmosphere can't be beat. Really! With the low price of your meal, you get free entertainment by the staff. Just listen carefully and you'll hear all sorts of interesting things. If you are bold enough, you can join in yourself and add to the fun. Yes, this place has great atmosphere.

As for romance, I'd be pleased to take my honey here every day of the year. And she'd be glad to come with me. Of course, I'll admit this isn't a "high culture" place. There are no tablecloths and no candles. But it is a real and deep culture place. And for me, this is what I enjoy, week after week.

They have their limits, certainly. The staff is small. The menu is limited and they are only open for breakfast and lunch. Many of their offerings I haven't sampled. I love the biscuits. This isn't a tourist spot. They do serve up old fashioned Southern hospitality and warmth. They may even talk back to you! And the parking lot tells a tale. I'll stand by my 5 stars!

1  Thank BobNewBern
Reviewed 23 October 2012

JED WHERE'S JETHRO!!! Is what you expect to hear busting from the dining room from wait staff who are county as country can get. That being said, they're helpful, polite, knowledgeable and very customer oriented. The $4.99 everyday breakfast special includes, two eggs, bacon or sausage, toast or biscuits, grits or roasted spuds with onions or hash browns with free repeat free coffee. Bottom Line: It's the best breakfast value in New Bern. The lunch menu is small/manageable with working folks pricing vice the normal $10.00 apiece with beverage lunch specials. Do not expect gourmet menu items but if your looking for good, wholesome dining that will not break the bank give this establishment a try. The New Bern reviewer compares the same breakfast/lunch specials to many area establishments priced at $6.95 minimum with the same quality without your server offering to bring you the morning newspaper for your reading pleasure. As mentioned, nothing fancy but good, friendly people with excellent dining value.

2  Thank NewBernReviewer