“My first Indian experience”
Review of Bay Leaf

Bay Leaf
Ranked #2 of 171 Restaurants in New Bern
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
New Bern, United States
“My first Indian experience”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Was absolutely incredible !!!! I will be back over & over again .... The service was over the top!!!!!

3 Thank Thea K

Saxapahaw, North Carolina, United States
“Solid Indian Lunch Buffet”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I have to preface this review by noting that as someone who has lived in New York City, eaten Indian food across the country, and who makes their own paneer at home, I have unusually high standards for Indian Food.

My husband and I stopped and had lunch here on our way to Atlantic Beach. We both love Indian food, so when we found Bay Leaf on yelp and realized that it wasn't too far out of the way, we decided we had to try it out. The service was outstanding--all of the servers, as well as the owner, were extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome. The lunch buffet was solid, and had a large selection of dishes for a reasonable price ($9.99). I really liked the fact that they had samosas because you normally only find them offered a la carte. However, as with most Indian buffets, the food was a bit underspiced to accomodate a wide variety of palettes. That being said, I'd definitely visit again on my next trip to the Crystal Coast. I'd like to go for dinner because I imagine it would be on point!

3 Thank Tara C
“Lunch with a touch of elegance. ”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed sampling Bay Leaf's dishes at "Taste of Coastal Carolina" last spring and finally made the 30 minute drive from Oriental to New Bern for their lunch buffet. We were warmly welcomed and well served without being overwhelmed. The atmosphere was peaceful, elegant and a welcome change from casual dining. Indian food is a new treat for me and I will be back and ready to order from the dinner menu, maybe one of the chicken and spinach dishes.

1 Thank Bill W
Beaufort, NC
“Fabulous Indian food!!!!!!”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Wonderful first visit. I will be back over and over again! Service was great and the Crab dish was out of this world, sweet lumps of delicious crab meat.

2 Thank Catbird125
New Bern, North Carolina
“Totally different environment after change!!!”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I have noticed that a lot of the good reviews come from new customers and/or out of towners. I used to love coming to this little peaceful restaurant. Until they changed the management or owner or whatever. Now I hear a lot of complaints from used to be regulars. The "so called" new owner, Ruby is very rude. She's only nice when it's your first time. And I hate how she used to beg and beg for reviews. Even my friends who I used to tell about this place, the first thing they would mention is about how they were, almost, forced to write a review. Even one person to me that she wanted him to write the review in the restaurant in front of her face. I am so embarrassed. I just wish that the place would be like how it used to be. Even before, the people who used to work there looked happy and very joyful. The last time I went, I just felt so awkward. I miss Avis greeting customers and would even sometimes sit and talk. Don't get me wrong, the food is alright. But I can tell that kind of took a turn too. Well...I am just praying for maybe another Indian Restaurant to open up here in New Bern soon.

7 Thank tiffanyunderwood252