“First trip to New Bern”
Review of New Bern KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Bern
New Bern KOA
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We have started staying at KOA'S when possible. They are great place to stay and are dog friendly. Our doggies love Kamp Kanine...This place was really nice. Had a pull thru, with a patio that also had a picnic table and umbrella. On the water and close to the Historic area

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We had a great time here. We loved that the dog park was separated so two sets of dogs could play at once without issue. The dog wash is a nice feature as well. We lives the large chess and checker board. It's perfect for Wizard's Chess! The pool is small and really basic so don't be surprised. The pier is gorgeous. We watched the sunrise but sure the sunset is great as well. This is a really nice campground and worth the visit. The camp was quiet and clean, which is a huge plus.
Alert - In July 16th in the evening, there was a man in a truck that drove into empty stalls and peered into open camper windows. I was in our couch when he looked in at me. It was super creepy. He has a younger man in the passenger seat. I kept the doors locked and wouldn't walk by myself. I grew up near a large city and can be sensitive to that stuff so I dismissed it. This morning I saw the reference to a man like this in an earlier post. I wonder if he is the same man and is up to no good.
The staff presence is high, which was reassuring.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Shadowfax_Clan
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Very well kept park. Everything is clean. Nice location if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing vacation. Pool. Dog park with agility area, and dog wash. Loved the pier. Need a NC fishing license for the pier. Those can be obtained at Wal-Mart (3 miles or so away). My husband bought one for out of state resident for 10 days for $12. DNR officers do make rounds so make sure you get one. About 40 minutes to the Crystal Coast/Atlantic Beach. I was disappointed with the location. Our main objective for choosing a campground on this vacation was to be close to Camp Lejeune where our nephew is stationed. I emailed several campgrounds in the area that had the amenities that we look for. The manager of this KOA stated that she could drive it in 30-35 minutes. We felt that was a reasonable distance. It was 60-70 minutes each time the trip was made. I was not happy at all. We had planned for my nephew to visit every evening for dinner but that was too long of a trip to make after getting off work, eating, and returning to base to be up at 0500. Our whole itinerary changed based on one factor. One of the campers next to us left a few pieces of firewood behind for the next camper. It was on top of a cooled firepit so it wasn't in the way. One of the employees picked it up and put on his own stack at his camper. I thought that was kind of shady. The posted hours at the pool are 9 am til dark. We stayed July 5 thru July 13th. The 13th is the only day the pool opened on time. It was usually at least an hour late. The pool seemed small to me but it was refreshing on a hot day. The basketball hoop was broken for probably half of our trip. We were supposed to check out on Saturday but decided on Friday to stay an extra night just so we could visit with my nephew. I went to check in for the extra night and tried to use a $10 off coupon for a "bounce back to New bern KOA" and they would take it because we were extending not doing a 2nd trip. I see both sides but was so frustrated about the distance and the fact that there was no verbage on the coupon stating that it couldn't be used for an extension. I even tried to change the reservation for the extra night to my name from my husband's. They also wanted us to move over one space. I asked them to look to see if there was any way we could stay in our spot and after some computer clicking, the lady was able to make it work. I was very thankful for that. There was also a truck that drove through at night. I am not sure if he was camping there or not but our first night there he asked my husband how much it was to rent a cabin. We were in our camper so we really didn't know. It was odd and creepy. I would see him all hours of the night. We have a puppy that needed to go potty through the night so I was outside at odd hours. Would I stay there again? Definitely not my first choice but would stop for an overnight in between destinations but not as our primary stop.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Monica S
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is not one of the giant KOAs. It's on the smaller side so it's quiet and you don't have to worry about being run down.
It is not actually IN New Bern. It is in Bridgeton NC which is on the east side of the Neuse River. And the KOA is right ON the river.
It has it's own pier, and is right next to a State Boat ramp so it's good for taking your own boat plus they rent Kayaks.
Bridgeton is not built up but there are a couple of gas station/C-stores, a Hardees, a local Diner, piZZa (Z key is messed up) .
I keep my sailboat in a marina about a quarter mile away from KOA and when I have quests down I often suggest they stay at the KOA so they can be more comfortable than being on the boat all the time.
It's back across the Neuse River for all the New Bern NC activities, but this is a great base for boating, driving to Oriental, Beaufort, or other locations.
The view from the KOA back towards New Bern, or up river is great, and the usual light breeZe keeps the bugs away pretty well. I am usually able to sleep on the boat without screens, and the KOA is like that.
There is a Food Lion Grocery, Drug Store, Chinese carry out and Subway Sandwich, in a plaZa at the south end of Bridgeton where you can get supplies, and there is all the stores you would ever need on Business 17 back over in New Bern.

Room Tip: As always look at the campground map. The closer to the water you are the windier it can be during a...
Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I've stayed at many KOA campgrounds in the last several years ( Richmond Hill, Georgia; Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina; Gatlinburg, Tennessee; etc) and this is quite possibly the best. Customer service is outstanding. Accommodates everything from large RVs down to tents. I stayed 3 nights, 1 of those nights in their luxury cabin that includes a separate bedroom, a pair of bunk beds, a sleep sofa, kitchenette and a bathroom with a standup shower. The 2nd two nights we stayed in an intermediate cabin which included a bed and a bunk bed (not separate), and a bathroom with a tub. This cabin did not have a kitchenette but did have a micro fridge. They also have basic cabins with no bathrooms. Each of the cabins had fire pits and gas grills (bring your own cooking utensils)
This campground is right off US 17, a short 5 minute drive north of New Bern. It is also on the Neuse River and has a dock for viewing wildlife (alligators!) and fishing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a 33' fifth wheel in a buddy lot with my brother in a motorhome. We had a wonderful time ...well placed to go into New Bern. The staff were excellent and very helpful....bathhouses were very nice...only reasons I did not give a 5 is one of the two showers in front bathhouse was out of order the entire time we were there...and there was a bit of a sewer odor near our sites..even though the dump station was way away...and the sites are a bit close. Good doggie walks..one for exercise and one with agility eq if one wanted to use it....fishing was very poor.....but beautifully kept grounds. If back this way...we would stay again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed here in April 2014 during Spring Break. The property is clean & kept up in every way possible. It is beautiful. Clean bathhouses, store and sites. It is not a large campground but what is there is in great shape & condition. We stayed in site 48 with a view of the Neuse River. Sites up near the store are just off RT 17 and a bit noisy. The staff is amazing, helpful, friendly and patrol the campground frequently. The kids enjoyed the fishing pier, playground, stocked pond and riding bikes around the campground. There wasn't any planned activities the weekend we visited, but we knew that ahead of time. The store is very well stocked. The patio and fire pit supplied by KOA was an added bonus!! If you are looking for a campground that is easy to get to, easy to pull your camper in out and right on the river, this is what you are looking for. OH the the sites are HUGE, they could have made 2 sites out of most of the sites but the extra space was great with 4 kids & 2 dogs. Lots of room between you and your neighbor, way more than many campgrounds give you. Quiet hours start at 10pm & I noticed KOA staff members patrolling and reminding kids to head back to their sites at 10pm...loved that!! Can't wait to return during the summer months when the pool is open and activities are planned for the kids.

Room Tip: Choose one of these sites to have a great view of the River 47, 48, 49, or 50. These sites are farth...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family