“Avoid at all costs!”

Trent River Coffee Shop
Ranked #1 of 11 Coffee & Tea in New Bern
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Had trouble finding a good coffeehouse in downtown New Bern. Our 2nd stop was this establishment. Big mistake! Didn't notice at first because it was rather dark but the place is filthy. Obviously a reason it is so pet friendly (yes we had our dogs with us). The lattes were made using a home model espresso machine and were very weak, there were several Mr. Coffee type coffee machines on the back counter and our only choice of pastry were frozen muffins which were split and burned in a small toaster oven and served on thin paper plates. Could not wait to get out of there. However, the owner was very friendly and talkative, giving us a review of the waterfront around the area.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Like the relaxed, laid-back atmosphere (you'll usually find a dog or 2 hanging out with their owners). Like the frequent Fri. or Sat. night folk/jazz/blue grass performers. But, no alcohol.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

This is the weirdest indy coffee shop I've ever visited! I don't mind quirky, but it was really odd to me that the coffee maker in this commercial establishment is a Mr Coffee! The coffee was fine (I can't say if they roast their own or not), but it was weird to me that my order resulted in the barista (owner?) filling up his little coffee maker and I had to wait while it brewed. My local indy shop where I go at home has all the commercial equipment so I get a fresh brewed cup in about 20 seconds, not the 10 minutes it takes to brew a carafe-full.

My companion's comment was that the owner must be independently wealthy, as service is indifferent at best, the baked goods are commercial and not freshly-made as I'd expect at a local indy place (especially in a small town) and the ambiance is not that welcoming. He must not need to rely on income from this place to earn a living (unless they sell a LOT of whole bean).

I can't recommend this spot, particularly if you're in a hurry. It might be fun when they have live music, but for just a coffee....meh.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

great freshly ground coffee, eclectic group of New Bernians who sit around, read the papers, work on their computers, buy the bulk coffee and teas from all over the world, and solve the problems of the world. It's the closest New Bern has to a 1970s Coffee House. Music on occasion in the evening: guitar, vocal, usually local musicians.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I was the only customer in the place and I was trying to buy coffee.
The owner was having an idle chat with a friend and could not be
bothered . I waited a while, saw him acknowledge I was there and then resumed his conversation. Finally I walked out without buying a thing.