“Coffee and music”

Dining options: Breakfast, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
New Bern, North Carolina
“Coffee and music”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Rustic environment. Many choices of fine coffee and very often folk or other acoustic forms of music in the evening. Check their website or the Down East Folk Society website.

Visited March 2014

Outer Banks, NC
“Are you kidding me?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

So we go in and it appears to be an eclectic coffee shop. It is not. While the atmosphere and décor seemed to fit, the surly man behind the bar was anything but customer friendly. No hello, can I help you, nothing? Two stained tattered menus were all he had. Nothing on a board, nothing at all. Only had coffee, expresso, café mocha and a couple other offerings. Ordered an expresso and a café mocha. after ordering sat back and watched and he stopped making our order to do a customer who walked in after us. Ok, can overlook that. But then when he did have our order ready, I asked for more sugar and the sugar shaker was empty and he actually got rude and said, "here all you have to do it shake it or take the lid off" gross, take the lid off? Are you kidding me? Got outside, tasted my café mocha and guess what, it was steamed milk with chocolate, he forgot to add the expresso. Unbelievable. Will never darken that doorway again.

Visited March 2014
Albuquerque
“Avoid at all costs!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Had trouble finding a good coffeehouse in downtown New Bern. Our 2nd stop was this establishment. Big mistake! Didn't notice at first because it was rather dark but the place is filthy. Obviously a reason it is so pet friendly (yes we had our dogs with us). The lattes were made using a home model espresso machine and were very weak, there were several Mr. Coffee type coffee machines on the back counter and our only choice of pastry were frozen muffins which were split and burned in a small toaster oven and served on thin paper plates. Could not wait to get out of there. However, the owner was very friendly and talkative, giving us a review of the waterfront around the area.

• Visited December 2013
New Bern, North Carolina
“Great meeting place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Like the relaxed, laid-back atmosphere (you'll usually find a dog or 2 hanging out with their owners). Like the frequent Fri. or Sat. night folk/jazz/blue grass performers. But, no alcohol.

Visited October 2013
Alabama
“Stumped”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

This is the weirdest indy coffee shop I've ever visited! I don't mind quirky, but it was really odd to me that the coffee maker in this commercial establishment is a Mr Coffee! The coffee was fine (I can't say if they roast their own or not), but it was weird to me that my order resulted in the barista (owner?) filling up his little coffee maker and I had to wait while it brewed. My local indy shop where I go at home has all the commercial equipment so I get a fresh brewed cup in about 20 seconds, not the 10 minutes it takes to brew a carafe-full.

My companion's comment was that the owner must be independently wealthy, as service is indifferent at best, the baked goods are commercial and not freshly-made as I'd expect at a local indy place (especially in a small town) and the ambiance is not that welcoming. He must not need to rely on income from this place to earn a living (unless they sell a LOT of whole bean).

I can't recommend this spot, particularly if you're in a hurry. It might be fun when they have live music, but for just a coffee....meh.

• Visited October 2013