“Great Place for a Quick Lunch”
Review of Bakers Kitchen

Bakers Kitchen
Ranked #3 of 178 Restaurants in New Bern
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This used to be Baker's Square. Not Baker's Kitchen. I had lunch and had the Chicken Salad. It was one of the best Chicken Salad's I've ever had. The potatoes were very good. I believe, from the menu, that breakfast would be great there. Another time.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Breakfast was phenomenal! My husband got a bacon, eggs, potato, biscuit breakfast. I got the french toast. Yum! The homemade butter syrup was sooooo good!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Baker's Kitchen is a comfortable, homey, restaurant for breakfast. Regular breakfast fare that tastes like home cooking. Good service and easy location to get to if you are staying down town.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

eat here each time in the area; great food; really enjoyed homemade pimento cheese; great cookies; and they serve pepsi

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Decided to try this place, based on the reviews, while looking for lunch yesterday. We are so glad we did!

We arrived at 2pm, and there were exactly 2 tables occupied indoors and one on the sidewalk. Since we have a 5 month old baby, we were pleased with the staff fussing over him....not in a way we have experienced at other restaurants, but a sincere look-at-this-cutiepie way. Each staffmember stopped by to talk to the baby, which was really nice. As closing time approached, (2:30 on Tuesday), the restaurant became almost packed! That was weird......

Anyway, on with the review. Daughter ordered chicken tenders, fries and applesauce. The tenders appeared to be coated in crushed potato chips and deep fried. OMG. Yum! The fries were good and applesauce is, well, applesauce. Overall, delish. My meal was breakfast. I'm a sucker for breakfast and will usually order it if I have a chance. One of my personal measures of a place is whether or not they can cook an egg over-medium. I mean OM correctly. And these eggs were perfect. Bravo! The rest of my meal was bacon, (3 strips, but actually not full strips so more like 2), the house potatoes which are wonderful but waaaaay over-salted, and 2 slices of french toast. The 'syrup' was, I think, a combo of syrup, butter, and confectioner's sugar maybe....whatever it was, it was amazingly perfect. Ohhhhh, so good! I saw an omelette go by on it's way to another table, and I think I'll have to try that next. And the pastry counter on the way out....wow!

The service was excellent. One thing that did occur, which is a pet pieve of mine, is when personnel are sweeping in the eating area while patrons are sitting there. A carpet sweeper is acceptable, but a broom is NOT. Who knows what is flying through the air from that broom and floor? That should be reserved for after closing, or invest in a carpet sweeper. The restaurant staff whould please consider this. If there was a 1/2 star, I would have taken a half off for this reason.

When in New Bern, give this place a try. You will be glad you did!

1  Thank SonriseBMD