“Will definitely return”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Bern
Harvey Mansion Historic Inn
Ranked #8 of 11 New Bern B&B and Inns
Jacksonville, North Carolina, United States
“Will definitely return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Had dinner here for our anniversary and loved it. Our meals were excellent and the atmosphere was cozy. After dinner we enjoyed our evening in the bar located in the basement of the Mansion. The bartender was great and created an excellent drink when i asked him to be creative with a few requested ingredeints. Really cool place for history buffs or just someone looking for a great meal. Will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013

Families
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
kms37
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

My husband and I has dinner at The Harvey Mansion this past weekend. Based on the reviews we were excited and expected a wonderful dining experience and meal. It was a bit of a dissapointment. We started with the calamari appetizer which was drenched in some sort of a sweet and tangy barbecue sauce. It just seemed odd to us to pair those two types of flavors and it was just too sweet. I had the lobster tail special and the lobster just tasted bland. My husband tasted it and said the same thing. There was no "wow" factor at all to this meal. Our drinks were okay, a little too much olive juice in the diry martinis for our liking and my husband's meal the lamb was nothing extraordinary, he even commented that they may have used the same barbecue type sauce that was on the calamari for the lamb. We are not the type of people to complain or cause a fuss so we politely said everything was fine and paid our tab. The best thing about the meal was our server who was wonderful. Based on the reviews we were hoping we were going to be really impressed unfortunately the road side barbecue joint we ate at for lunch earlier that day was more so.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bowie, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

Being a foodie, I researched restaurants before coming to New Bern and had plans to go to the top 2 rated places. Well, we walked by Harvey Mansion on a Saturday afternoon and saw their Early Bird (5 - 6:30) specials listed. We went there, and it was great! Atmosphere was elegant and service was wonderful. I had lamb osso bucco over risotto and had French onion soup as a substitute for salad. They substituted chicken stock for heavy cream in the risotto, and I took my chances with other dairy items, and it was fine. I appreciate their willingness to help. My husband had a huge portion of lightly fried flounder with steak fries and a salad with blue cheese. They also served a wonderful rosemary bread. The osso bucco is normally $26 on their menu, probably a somewhat larger portion, but what I had was very filling and exquisite. Only complaint is that my husband did not like their blue cheese dressing in comparison with blue cheese he had elsewhere the next night. "It wasn't that great." Osso bucco was tender enough I could eat it with a spoon and flavored with mirepoix. My husband enjoyed his flounder. This is a great deal in comparison with dinner prices at other top rated New Bern restaurants, which run in the 20s per person.

Room Tip: This rating is of the restaurant, not the hotel, if there is one.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tlhjar
Allentown. PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2010

My husband and I discovered Harvey Mansion when we were having a home built in New Bern. We first started enjoying the restaurant each time we traveled to NB to meet with builders, etc. After many fine meals, we decided to stay at the Mansion and take advantage of the wonderful hospitality of the owner, Gene and and manager, Denise. They took great care of us and now that our home in NB is finished, we continue to enjoy wonderful meals there as often as possible. We take out of town guests frequently and all have talked about how much they enjoyed the experience!!

The Inn is definitely historic - floors slant a little - we found it quaint! The charm and warmth of the building and staff make Harvey Mansion a great place to stay and dine!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maria-NewBern
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2008

I was surprised not to find this restaurant listed as it continues to please! We were 'squeezed' in on Saturday night and once again we were very impressed with the chef's genius! I had the most amazing duck I could ever imagine... I'll be thinking of this for months to come. This was our 2nd trip to the Harvey in a few months and we were so pleased that the local 'buzz' did not disappoint. From the amazing seafood bisque, fresh baked bread, to the decadent desserts, we were thrilled from beginning to end. Kudos Harvey Mansion, you truly have lived up to your reputation.

1 Thank Gabrielle71
Wilmington, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2008

I was a bit concerned when I read the reviews but we had a wonderful dinner! The duck was superb as was the crab special. The service was great and you can't beat the price for the food and atmosphere. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Stayed October 2008
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2007

My husband and I were extremely dissapointed with the food while dining at the Harvey Mansion Restaurant. We enjoyed the french onion soup, however the salad was bitter and the lettuce was brown around the edges. The ranch dressing was quite distasteful. We both shared the Rack of Lamb with a Raspberry Plum Sauce. It was awful. The Sauce did not compliment the Lamb whatsoever. Please save your money and look up Morgan's Tavern and Grill just a few blocks down. Despite its name, you notice the atmosphere with esquisite taste. The Harvey Mansion was an unfortunate experience, which spoiled our anniversary dinner.

• Liked — I did not appreciate the accomodations whatsoever.
  • Disliked — Please see the full review for details.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)