“Not recommended as an airport hotel”

Bridgepointe Hotel and Marina
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
United Kingdom
“Not recommended as an airport hotel”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Chose this for a 1 night stay after a late flight into New Bern Airport prior to collecting a hire car the following morning when the desk was open. I selected it as it was the closest hotel to the airport. Wish I'd done more research. It may be the closest but it's not the most convenient. There's no shuttle bus from the airport. I paid 11USD to get there in a taxi on Saturday night. The same company wanted 20USD to take me back to the airport on Sunday morning! The hotel itself is very outdated. It smells musty from the time you walk in. The carpet in my room was threadbare and the linen dirty. Their idea of an evening meal is to give you the local Dominos phone number on your room key and a menu in your room.

Room Tip: Get a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Legs E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
SLC, UT
Reviewed 22 May 2014

This facility may be attractive to boaters because of the marina, but it is sorely in need of a makeover. The non-smoking room I had reeked of smoke, the carpet, bedspread and couch were stained and wallpaper was torn/cracked. It was a step above a flophouse and one could do much better for a few dollars more. The staff seem friendly but they are not given much to work with.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Olympia65
Oregon
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We chose this hotel after a local told us our first choices were full. The location is lovely on the water. The clerk told us we were lucky to get the last nonsmoking room, however, the room had quite a bad odor [smoke? who knows what but it was quite pronounced]. I get it that hotel rooms get hard use but our room was quite tired. The veneer was coming off or splitting on the bathroom door; torn wall paper in the bathroom; a badly patched hole near a baseboard; rust on the ceiling grid. Our shower had a quarter sized rusty patch of some sort. I'm sure the room was clean, but, the list of minor issues was long and made the room feel a tiny bit seedy.

I likely wouldn't choose this hotel again; but, would stay here if necessary.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank runningwithscissors
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My family was celebrating my grandson's graduation from East Carolina University, and I reserved five rooms at the BridgePointe for four nights. It was a delightful experience, and the hotel staff were wonderful and helpful. We stayed on the fourth floor (every room has a waterview!) and had a graduation party in two of the rooms (Katie and Mary even found a folding table that we could use for hors d'oeuvres!) Everything worked perfectly--A/C, shower, lamps, etc. The continental breakfast was adequate--nothing exciting except perhaps for the waffle iron.

The hotel is easy walking distance (across the bridge) to downtown New Bern, which was convenient and fun. All in all a fabulous experience.

Room Tip: Since there is a karaoke bar, we chose to stay on the top (fourth) floor. The rooms were very quiet...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Dinah428
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed two nights here, and although the view from my room was beautiful, I couldn't help but notice how compared to most hotels I have stayed in recently, this hotel was in need of a serious makeover. I have stayed in hotels that I paid less than what I paid for this room ,and they at least had a flat screen tv in the room.The beds weren't that comfortable and the pillows were a ridiculous size, way too small. The continental breakfast was better than some at other hotels. Just make sure you get up early to beat the breakfast crowd. The location is very convenient( within walking distance) to Tryon Palace and the Fireman's Museum.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Boomchicaboomboom
Arizona
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Just over the bridge from historic New Bern. Large room, very clean. Nice people on desk. Avoid New Bern traffic if there's a festival going on and stay across the river. Planned to stay one night but we stayed two because there is so much to see in New Bern. Reasonable rate. Good breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the marina
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Poodleparent
Greensboro, North Carolina, Usa
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed from Friday to Sunday with friends, in all we had three rooms. The WiFi only worked in the hallways and the lobby. Repeated complaints to the front desk was no help. This hotel allows pets. The room above mine must have had a large dog that was continuously it seemed jumping from bed to bed and from bed to floor making a lot of noise. Surprisingly this did not stop me from sleeping, however starting at 2AM I received two calls, I knew it was not anyone I knew because they would have called on my cell phone number.There was nobody there when I picked up the receiver. After the second call I phoned the front desk it rang for a while and then went to a dial tone. Several minutes later there was a knock on my room door which woke me up again and the night manager said there was loud noises coming from my room. I asked him if he heard any when I opened the door, no response there and I directed him to the room above where there was still loud jumping sounds. The next morning I went to the front desk to complain, that clerk brought out a log which is supposed to be filled out each time there is a complaint that the management gets. I was not surprised when the evening activities were not recorded.

Room Tip: If you must stay in this hotel get a room on the top floor!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends