DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
“Nice visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Like some, after reading the reviews I was a bit apprehensive about booking a one night stay. But, the location was nice and I took the chance. I was not sorry.

The hotel was in wonderful condition. The staff (especially night manager) was exceptional in service requests. Some special needs occurred during our stay and they were quickly and pleasantly accommodated. Rarely have I had better service.

Our stay was in a separate building called "the inn". Lovely room, nice amenities. Breakfast was a buffet with an omelet bar that was very good. The coffee was very good too - which isn't always the case in hotels.

The view of the harbor is wonderful and the location in town is another good feature.

Room Tip: Nice view of the harbor but the city view is also very lovely.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank bseashore
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
We are incredibly pleased to hear about how much you enjoyed your stay! It's always nice to have someone that is willing to share their good experiences with us. We hope that you will choose to stay with us the next time you are in New Bern and if you need anything please do not hesitate to let us know!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Wlkesboro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Gave this hotel a very good score instead of average for the room window view alone.
A large picture window looking out over the Trent River with views of the bridges on both sides, hundreds of boats, hundreds of gulls roosting on the other side and a family of ducks underneath the window for extra entertainment.

Price: Very reasonable for the amenities and location which is great. We particularly wanted room service so we could be a bit pampered.

Room: We all make design faux pas but to use chrome and black in a bathroom much less the entire room? Chrome spots and discolors and black shows spots and dust and there were plenty of them. A black vanity that stopped short of the walls by about a foot on each side so instead of giving you more space with the vanity, your things were constantly falling in the floor. The towels are so huge that you cannot wrap one around your hair without getting a headache from the weight. Good water pressure in the shower. Then there was the already mentioned roman shade. Every night and morning I had to pull that chain about 14 times to lower or raise it. The chain hurt my hand and it took forever. Very poor choice of window treatment. Down comforter was hot hot hot and we hate those half size pillows that hotels are using. What is up with that? Overall though the room had an aura of attractiveness and was a good size. No fridge or microwave though.

Service: Mixed bag. Three occasions of not very friendly or personable front desk staff then counterbalanced by very friendly "Head Bellman" and room service staff.
Called down for name of trolley service and desk clerk could not tell us although it had been there over 20 yrs. Then she told us it picked up at the hotel at 2:15. I got a call back from the trolley service at 1:00 p.m. telling us they picked up there at 1:20 and we almost missed it. Hint: Take the trolley ride as great way to learn about the city. Our guide was great but the seats, as on most trolleys, are wooden slats and most uncomfortable so take a pillow or jacket to sit on.

Christoph's Restaurant: We ate there first night and had one room service dinner and 4 room service breakfasts. Crab chowder good. Maybe we are used to a different type Rueben but the kraut on this one very spicy and we both had a very upset digestive system and only ate half. House salad like ones we had in all restaurants there- nothing really but cucumbers and tiny tomato. Did order chef's salad without meat and it was very good. Prime rib fair but no au jus. Sides of green beans and mashed potatoes with skins were offered to us at 3 different restaurants also. Tomato soup so full of salt that we ate one spoonful and left it. Not a creamy basil soup but dark. However, there was redemption in a chocolate mousse dessert with warm bananas on the side - heavenly. Breakfast were good.

Parking: Because it was off-season, we had not difficulty parking close to front but in a busy season, I imagine it would be tough.

Location Location Location: With the fantastic view from the window and the lovely river walk then walking distance from the historic district, you can't beat it. We love this town. Picturesque, charming, colorful and not too big. We particularly loved all the bear statues around town depicting different characters. (Bern=Bear.)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrscoachwilkesboro
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at our hotel. We want you to know that all of your concerns and suggestions have been noted and we have begun working on these issues already. We're glad that for the most part we were able to accommodate all of your needs and wants and we hope that next time you are in New Bern you will choose to stay with us again!
Raleigh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a business conference and the location is great. My hotel room was in the building next to the hotel, the "inn". It was very stark and cold. The hot water does not work properly; I found out that you have to turn the faucet onto COLD in order to get HOT water. The television had sound but no picture; I was told that you have to turn off the t.v. and turn it back on again to fix this issue. The walls are paper thin. I can hear the gentleman next door talking and he isn't even that loud. I can hear word for word what he is saying. Thank goodness I am only here for one night.

Room Tip: Do not let the staff place you in the "inn" next door to the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 300KimP
We are pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate your needs during your recent stay with us and we also thank you for taking the time to let us know about some of your concerns. We hope that you also mentioned these issues to the management staff while you were here and we assure you that the water and television issues you experienced are being worked on. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope you will choose to stay with us again next time you are in town!

Travellers are raving about these New Bern hotels

OK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed one night for business - the hotel is in a wonderful location, with gorgeous views. The room was comfortable, but it was looking a little worn - I think it is about to remodel. The curtains mentioned in another review, I also noticed, but I thought the high quality pull down roman shade was interesting - I've never seen that in a hotel.

I was quite happy with the room and the hotel in general. They also had a very generous breakfast buffet.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your recent stay with us went. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I cannot imagine a better location for visiting the beautiful town of New Bern, North Carolina. Wonderfully situated on the river front, the charming town is actually outside the front door of the hotel -- an asset that we quickly took advantage of. The desk clerk was just charming and informative and we found the property to be in very good shape. The only problem with the rooms (we had two) was that ours was very weirdly furnished -- small double bed in a room that could have easily accomodated two king sized beds with room left over -- and only a single club chair on which to sit. But that is really our own fault as we are among the wicked class of people who smoke so anytime one is offered any sort of accomodation (tool shed, utility closet) one takes it and keeps ones mouth shut. Be that as it may, we made ample use of the dining room and bar -- and were never, never disappointed with the either the food, the service, or the view -- and managed to run up pretty substantial tabs in all of them (If the Hilton would have liked to see a really serious tab they would have placed in a meeting room with card tables where we could have played bridge and smoked without bothering anyone and I am certain that we would have made a night of drinks and plates of those wonderful artichoke canapes and scallops wrapped in bacon). It was curious, however, to see that the Hilton apparently has only one dining room manager, and he seems to be in a state of perpetual servitude as he was the maitre d' at lunch, both the bartender and barmaid in the eveing, and in charge of the dining room again at breakfast the next morning. He was certainly up to the task and discharged every food and beverage duty efficiently and with a friendly demeanor but, seriously, they might want to give him a day off -- or at least an hour or two -- every once in awhile. Youth and professionalism can only carry on so long and twenty-four hours seems a bit much. Otherwise, our stay at the Riverfront Hilton definitely contributed to our good impression of New Bern and there is no doubt that we would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tim R
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
We first just want to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to let us know what you thought about our hotel! We are incredibly pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate all of your needs and we hope that you will choose to stay with us again next time you are in town! If you are ever in the area again, let our management team know and we'll see what we can do about getting you a private area for a bridge game :)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

I am a long-standing Hilton Honors member, and choose Hilton brand hotels because of their standard of excellence, custom care and cleanliness. On my recent stay at the Hilton New Bern/Riverfront from January 18-20, this hotel failed to meet any standard for a decent hotel. Normally I would not have complained about some of the conditions, but would have simply rated the hotel poorly when I received the customer response survey from Hilton, However, the response I received from one employee, a lady who would not provide her name when I called Guest Services from my room at 9:40PM on the night of January 19, and then the non-response I received from the hotel's sales manager, prompts me to write this review.

The curtains were filthy on the edges from the HVAC unit blowing dirty air; the curtain rail cover was full of dusty cob webs; the corners baseboard at the bottom of the window near the HVAC were full of dirt and dust; the desk chair hand was gouged from wear against the desk; the closet door was broken and off the track; the sprinkler was broken and exposed; and the bathroom light fixture was covered with smears; and most disgusting of all, the ceiling panels above the food buffet in the restaurant were caked with dirt from the filthy air blowing through your hotel’s HVAC system.

Most of this I discovered, after I the hotel's Guest Services personnel to complain that my room had not been serviced by Housekeeping that day (January 19). When I informed the lady that my room was not refreshed – her response was: “Did you have the ‘Do Not Disturb” sign on my door?” I told her I did not, and that I had left my room that morning at 8:30AM and did not return until then.

The Guest Services staff’s next reply was what astounded me. She said, and these are her exact words: “Well, what do you want me to do about it now?” I was stunned. Never in my 28 years of business travel have I ever encountered such a cavalier attitude toward a guest with a problem. Fazed, my only reply was that I did not expect this type service, or lack of concern, from Hilton or one of its employees, and I hung up the phone. That is when I went through the room and began taking pictures of what problems existed.

Since then, I wrote to the sales manager and email her the photos, and I have yet to hear back from her or anyone at this hotel.

The condition of Room 206 would have failed the budget hotel test of readiness for a guest. It is a disgrace for it to be in the Hilton chain. Worse, the employees' attitude is appalling and should never be accepted in any business, especially Hilton, which I have come to experience as having much higher standards.

Room Tip: Here's a tip for picking a good room -- look across the street as there is a Comfort Inn Suites...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank A C
newport_group, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about our property on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry you did not have the Hilton experience expected while at our hotel. I pride myself on the Hilton name and do not like hearing a guest of mine has had a subpar experience. I expect every guest be treated as if they were a guest in my own home. I apologize for our sales manager not getting back to you immediately when you emailed her. She forwarded the response to me and at my request, so I could gather more information, she waited to hear from me to send you a response.
I have reviewed your comments with our team of managers to make sure the issues are addressed quickly as well as properly. At my request we have had meetings with our front desk staff to review the Hilton service standards and our housekeeping staff to ensure they are properly cleaning each and every room. We have addressed the HVAC problem with our Engineering team to ensure the filters on all HVAC units are cleaned.
Again, I sincerely apologize; please feel free to contact me directly should you have any further questions or comments.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

We just needed a place to sleep. We checked in very late and woke up early, and had a great night sleep! Comfortable bed, clean bathroom what more could you ask for!

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Nayst
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, 28 December 2011
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to let us know how your night with us was! We're pleased that you enjoyed everything and we hope that next time you are in the area you will stay with us again.