“Things could have been a lot better”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I'm a Diamond with Hilton and only stay in Hilton properties so you can trust that I've been in my fair share of Double Trees. That said I just don't get what's going on here. This location in it's former life was a Hilton and now is a Double Tree. I thought they would do some kind of upgrade but there are scuffs all over the walls stained chair cushions (see photo) scratched up desk (see photo) etc.

The door is almost impossible to open even when following their directions and it appears to be vintage circa 1970s. The bed is so old it bounces like a trampoline and needs replacement. The carpet is dirty and the hallways and elevator are crazy hot! There was a hotel employee on the elevator who even said "yep these elevators are hot as hell" I'm like "yep they are hot, slow and falling apart"!

The A/C is screwed up as it cuts on and off constantly I mean right when it cuts off 10 seconds later it cuts on.

The ice machine is broken on my floor and based on prior reviews it's been broken a long time.

The front desk was strange as the desk clerk was talking into his loud "walkie talkie" saying something about a guest needing a new TV while the manager just stood there staring at me.

The only positive is the excellent view of the harbor and you are within walking distance to most of everything. I did not eat here so can't tell you how the food was as I opted for The Chelsea restaurant just a few blocks away which had good food and great service.

Bottom line for the money it's not worth it but in New Bern your choices are limited. I would suggest this property given the view and location but I would recommend you call them out on any sub standard accommodations you will likely encounter.

Room Tip: Riverfront is nice as others are lacking in scenery.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank TheRealBillBrasky
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Thank you for letting us know what you thought about our hotel. We apologize for any inconveniences you were faced with. We are an older property and we are always working on getting up to date. We thank you for your comments and please be assured that management has been made aware. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights.
The location on the waterfront in just great and you can walk to many places in downtown.
We should have walked to a restaurant on the first night but we were so tired that we instead chose the hotel restaurant instead. Big mistake. The service was very poor and fairly slow. The food choices were not imaginative. The food quality was poor and overall we hated dinner.
The front desk was very well run and check in was efficient and several subsequent requests were dealt with promptly.
The room was fairly large, but we thought it was also fairly expensive.
The bed was comfortable but my wife was not happy with it.
We stayed on the 4th floor.
The atrium lobby meant that the corridor on the 4th floor was very hot. It seemed unventilated. It was quite unpleasant. Also noise from the lobby did tend to travel a long way.
The musak in the elevator was unbelievably bad. Fingernails on a blackboard would have been better. The front desk agreed with this.
We again went to the restaurant on our last morning for breakfast. The buffet was totally uninspired.
Overall, we found the hotel perfectly acceptable except for the restaurant (and the elevator music). The front desk staff were awesome.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay! We hope that the buffet does not hinder you from coming back to visit us again. We also thank you for bringing this to our attention and assure you that management has been made aware of your concerns. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

We were here for a long weekend . Very nice stay the location is perfect , quick walk to the downtown area . We had a one bedroom suite . The only downside was that there was not a door to close off the bedroom . Very pleasant staff .

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank DurellSullivan

We're ecstatic that everything was to your liking during your recent stay! We hope that you will be back to see us again soon!

Reviewed 2 September 2012

It was ok, really nothing that special as far as service, cleanliness, etc. but neither did they screw up those areas. Ice machine on 5th floor was inop and it looks like it has been for a while (judging by the sign)

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Robert H

We're pleased to hear that everything was up to par for your recent stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how our hotel performed and we hope you'll stay with us again next time you're in town!

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I stayed here for a business trip and was impressed. I was upgraded to a suite with a water view without asking based on HHonor status. The room was clean and comfortable. The bathrooms were a little tight, but for an older hotel this is common. The AC was a tad on the loud side.

The hotel itself was quiet, I barely EVER heard other rooms, doors closing, people in the hall, cars, trucks, etc.

The hallway was hot, but I think that was just due to the fact that part of the hall was open to below and hot air rises.

Lots of things were in walking distance, great shops and restaurants.

I would stay here again if I come back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Snaglpus00

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay! We're pleased to here that you enjoyed everything and we look forward to seeing you again soon,

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Our stay began with the warm chocolate cookies from the front desk staff and since then I was captivated. The room was beautiful and had a great view of the marina. Everything was clean and the bathroom was really well kept. The bed was so unbelievably comfortable that the only complaint is that I had to leave it in the morning to sight see. New Bern is a charming little town to walk through for a weekend and the Double Tree only enhanced our stay. Our family isn't used to staying at upper class hotels, yet the price was not that bad and our room was really great. No complaints here!

Room Tip: Fifth floor facing the marina
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Emily R
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Thank you for staying with us! We're ecstatic to hear that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us. We hope to see you all again in the near future!

Reviewed 16 August 2012

I am typing this as I sit in the room ticked over my experience tonight in what is my first and likely last night in this dump. Where do I start... I am in a separate building from the registration desk. I have been locked out of my room twice. Apparently they don't want you leave your room, because if you do the key card won't let you back in. Two 1/4 mile trips over to the other building for a reprogram, with no apology for my troubles whatsoever. Night lady at the desk on my second visit seemed bothered that she actually had to do something. Air unit in the room took 4 hours to drop the temp 2 degrees. The building I'm in is a complete dump. After a day of rain, there are buckets, trash cans, towels and "slippery when wet signs" all over the lobby floor from the leaky roof, hours after the rain has ended. How hard is it to fix the roof? And why hasn't this all been cleaned up by now? Carpet in a Motel 6 is better maintained. It is lumpy, wavy, and dirty in the public areas. Big time tripping hazard, not to mention how BAD it looks. Cable/Sat is terrible, went for a stretch of time with several channels out. ESPN and CBS were glitchy all night and half of the channels available were analog (bad picture). Plus, 4 seconds or so between each click of the channel, to the point I began to doze off between channel changes. Decided to go get a snack from the vending machine. About 4 food choices and one drink option. If you don't like Diet Mt. Dew, you're out of luck. I don't believe they have restocked in over a month. And to top it off, the drink was luke warm at best. OK, I'll get some ice. Ice machine is out of order, imagine that, with a note and a smiley face referring me to the next floor down. Box fan above the ice machine blowing on it like it had been overheating. Fire hazard perhaps? And my return to the room was the 2nd lockout that I mentioned earlier, requiring me to walk over half dressed. And finally, as I'm ready to go to sleep I press the Wake Up/Service button on the phone to ask for a wake up call....nothing but static, button doesn't work. As far as positives go, the bedding is clean, that's about all I've got. With the way my experience is going, I probably won't have hot water in the morning.

Room Tip: Until they refurbish this place, choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank 747Kevin

Thank you for staying with us and for letting us know about your stay. We're sorry to hear that our hotel was not in tip top shape for your visit. We are currently working on getting the leaky roof fixed. Our hotel is also still undergoing some fixing up after we were hit hard by a hurricane last year. We hope that you made management aware of your problems while you were in house so they could address your problems immediately. We hope you'll reconsider and give us one more chance next time you're in town.