“Very pleasent stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Boiling Spring Lakes, United States
“Very pleasent stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

Excellent location on the river with wonderful dining within walking distance. The views were great. The staff were like graduates of Disney University! They were very helpful and cheerful. The cable TV left a little to be desired. Initial rates seemed high, but at the end of the stay I felt the quality of care and attention warranted the price.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DianeJSchmitt, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know that our staff made you feel welcomed during your visit. I am also happy to report that after working diligently with our TV service provider and our TV manufacturer we have addressed the majority of our TV programming issues. I'm just sorry it affected your stay. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us in the future. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Rhodhiss, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

This was one of my most enjoyable stay. The room when I walked in was so much more than I expected. It was very quiet during my whole stay. The staff were wonderful, the room was very clean, room service was Great , delicious & always on time. Housekeeping & wait staff were very nice. I was in a room with a Beautiful view of the river. I could see boats & watch as the bridge would have to raise as a boat would pass. I Love Love Love the Cookies.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Good Afternoon

I wanted to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know that our staff made you feel welecome throughout your stay and you enjoyed your room and the beautiful view. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Denver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

It is interesting reading recent reviews of this hotel. We too had the inconvenience of rooms being unavailable at check in and a front desk staff that would benefit from additional training. That said, this was a great place to stay. Location is great. Get a room facing the marina and you'll love the view. Room was comfortable. Bar was fun. One thing missing from other reviews on this hotel is that once you get checked in and get past the front desk which was not firing on all cylinders when we visited, this is a really comfortable place to stay.

Stayed September 2013
1 Thank directedit
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the issue you faced with our newer front desk agents and thank you were not able to check in upon arrival. I have brought this to the attention of our General Manager, Director of Housekeeping and our Front Office Manager so that we can address these items immediately. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I stayed here in September for a training.
Check in was quick and the front desk was professional. I also enjoyed my complementary cookie :)
I was on the fourth floor which is considered the "Hilton Honors" floor, I also had a beautiful view of the riverfront and harbor. The first thing I noticed was that the ice machine was out of order, but they did say that they were working on cleaning it.. but it was out of order the 3 days I was there.
The bathroom was clean and looked like it had been updated. All the towels were clean and soft.
The housekeeping did a great job with my room. The bed was super comfy and I slept great the whole time.
Now to the actual room...It needs updating, the carpet was very worn, some of the knobs were missing from the drawers, the glass on the desk was foggy and chipped in places. Also I had NO WATER when I woke up the last day I was there. I couldn't flush the toilet, brush my teeth or take a shower for until after 7:30am, which was an issue because the conference started at 8am.
I went to the gym which also needed updating. There were 6 machines and only 2 of them worked.
DoubleTree is a great chain and you pay a little extra to get the quality. This hotel did not meet my expectations and I was very disappointed. There just isn't much else to choose from so you don't have many more options to choose from.

1 Thank Appsgirl
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the issues you faced with your room and the lack of water when you needed to get ready for your conference. We are just about to begin our renovations and high on our priority list are our guest rooms and the public spaces. I have brought the items you mentioned to the attention of our General Manager, Chief of Engineering, Director of Housekeeping and our Front Office Manager so that each of these can be addressed immediately. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Clemmons, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

The room was terrible. The air conditioner did not work and 2 tries to fix it failed. Rooms was not ready on time at arrival. Restaurant had good food. Front was cover up about get in and out by people illegally parking

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Larry K
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the issues you faced with your room and the HVAC as well as not being able to check in upon your arrival. I have brought these items to the attention of our General Manager, Chief of Engineering, Director of Housekeeping and our Front Office Manager so that these items can be addressed immediately. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Travellers are raving about these New Bern hotels

Chesterfield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed at the DoubleTree this past weekend. Let me start by stating the location is absolutely fantastic. It is right on the water and central to everything in downtown New Bern. The hotel itself could use some updating and it seemed from the plans in the lobby this is in process. The front desk staff we encountered were more concerned with clocking out and less concerned with the guests waiting to check in. The young lady that greeted us stated our room was clean but they needed to get verification from housekeeping before she could check us in. She asked us to take a seat and she would get us when she got confirmation. Ten minutes later we watched her walk out the front door and leave. We waited a little while longer and then asked the new front desk person if our room was ready. They looked confused as to why we had been sitting in the lobby without a room as no one had mentioned we were waiting. They promptly check us in. On the last day of our trip I stopped at the front desk to ask about a Business Center since the booklet in the room stated there was one on property. Before I even had the question out the woman at the desk told me there were computers in the lobby. When I tried to finish my sentence she cut me off again and said they only had the computers in the lobby. I've stayed at a number of hotels as I travel a lot for work. The front desk is always the most important as it is the one most visible to the guests.

The restaurant and bar staff were on their game and provided outstanding service. The food and drinks were delicious.

Housekeeping was spotty. If you had the Do Not Disturb on the door they never made a follow up visit to your room. We were usually out of the room by 10am and one day I guess that was too late because they never cleaned the room.

All and all I would recommend this hotel as there are more positives than negatives. I think if they just upped their A game a bit and gave the hotel a little facelift it would be outstanding.

Room Tip: We were in room 411 which looked out onto the Marina. Be careful if you stay over Sat night as they...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mcBlackshaw
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank your for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the issues you faced with our new front office staff and I can assure you that we are working diligently with each of them to bring them up to par on the level of service we expect our guests to receive. I have brought each of the items you mentioned to the attention of our General Manager, Front Office Manager and our Director of Housekeeping so that we can address each of these immediately. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

If you have ever read any of my other reviews here you will know that I like to give credit where credit is due, and this property is absolutely in that category!

I had the pleasure of staying at the DoubleTree New Bern this past weekend and the stay was perfect - from check-in Friday evening, to a late dinner in the restaurant (Christoph's), to some live music in the park right beside the hotel, all the way to check-out Sunday morning.

This hotel is on the marina in New Bern, and we had a waterfront room in the 'Inn Section' of the hotel. It's a separate wing just beside the original main building and the rooms were beautifully appointed, large and appeared to be freshly renovated. When that took renovation took place, I didn't ask, but everything looked and smelled brand new. To room and bathroom were spotless, and the bed-- both me and my wife agreed it could be the most comfortable bed we have EVER slept in and we travel often.

We got in pretty late Friday from a long drive after work and the front desk staff introduced themselves (Trinity & Kayla)and made us feel as if we were returning home to a genuinely warm welcome after a long time away!

The restaurant had no problem seating up at almost 9.45. Often when a late table comes in at some restaurants, staff can be less than overjoyed, but in this case our server, Myron, was awesome. We apologized for the late seating, and he told us to not even go there, that he was glad to have us and would be there late anyway working with the bar. He had great dinner suggestions and the food was cooked to perfection (they even got the NY Strip steak charred almost black exactly the way I love it. Wife had the duck breast & risotto & it was amazing too. The restaurant manager also came over to check on us and I am sorry I can't remember his name right now, but he was also fantastically welcoming to us.

I want to mention that we had interactions with various staff there, from the bellman who assisted us, to a driver who shuttled us to a store to get some drinks and and snacks for the room, to the bartenders inside and out at the pool. Without exception, they were among the most polite and professional hotel staff we have ever encountered.

There is a very nice pool and deck area at this property directly overlooking the marina & the riverfront. The property is right at the edge of the old-town city center of New Bern and within easy walking distance (3-5 minutes) of all the shops & restaurants.

Without questions, this property is leaps and bounds nicer that any other hotel in New Bern. Most of the properties in the area are really just 'motels' or 'Express' type properties with limited amenities. The DoubleTree would hold it's on in any major city in country in my opinion

Bottom line - If you want a great stay, in a gorgeous old-town, riverfront area, the ONLY choice is the DoubleTree when you visit New Bern.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 'Inn' are newer and a little larger than in the main building. It's a very...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DianeJSchmitt, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for you recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff made you feel welcomed throughout your stay. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!