“Needs 'Freshening Up'”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Raleigh, United States
“Needs 'Freshening Up'”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times before when attending a yearly conference my office facilitates. The staff is great, no problems there, but the Hotel itself is getting worn out. Some areas need a good painting, old carpet 'smell' noticeable in larger open areas, and many of the rooms are in need of repair. All in all a really nice place that has seen LOTS of business that its starting to show more and more each time we visit.

1 Thank Bill W
DianeJSchmitt, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am happy to report that we are just about to begin our renovations and high on our priority list are our guest rooms and the carpeting throughout the hotel. We are all looking forward to the much needed improvements. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Sanford, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Double Tree. We choose a room with a view of the water, great choice, and well worth it. The hotel and restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful. The trolley tours and cruise tours leave from the hotel site, this is very convenient, as it allowed us to park our car for the weekend. The hotel is in walking distance of many shops and a farmers market. We plan to visit again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy you and your husband enjoyed New Bern and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
New Bern, NC, United States
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The interior wasn't exactly what I was expecting from a Doubletree. The lobby area and conference center seemed to have been updated and were nice and tidy, but the guest room definitely need a facelift. I did see an exhibit of fabric swatches in the lobby, so I'm thinking maybe a renovation is in the works. That said, the rooms were clean enough and I can overlook the worn/stained carpet, ripped desk chair and dated bathroom for the extraordinary view overlooking the water and yachts. The waterfront bar was an excellent place to relax and enjoy the scenery. The location is perfect- just a few steps away from the Farmers Market and lots of neat downtown shops and restaurants. Aside from a few frazzled front desk clerks, the staff was friendly, especially the jack-of-all-trades Roy! With a renovation, I'm sure this will be a wonderful place to stay, and we had a nice experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Traci C
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. We are just about to begin our renovations and high on our priority list are our guest rooms and the public space, we are all looking forward to the updates! I am happy that you enjoyed your view and the scenery New Bern has to offer on the riverfront. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Boiling Spring Lakes, United States
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Excellent location on the river with wonderful dining within walking distance. The views were great. The staff were like graduates of Disney University! They were very helpful and cheerful. The cable TV left a little to be desired. Initial rates seemed high, but at the end of the stay I felt the quality of care and attention warranted the price.

Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know that our staff made you feel welcomed during your visit. I am also happy to report that after working diligently with our TV service provider and our TV manufacturer we have addressed the majority of our TV programming issues. I'm just sorry it affected your stay. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us in the future. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Rhodhiss, United States
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This was one of my most enjoyable stay. The room when I walked in was so much more than I expected. It was very quiet during my whole stay. The staff were wonderful, the room was very clean, room service was Great , delicious & always on time. Housekeeping & wait staff were very nice. I was in a room with a Beautiful view of the river. I could see boats & watch as the bridge would have to raise as a boat would pass. I Love Love Love the Cookies.

Good Afternoon

I wanted to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know that our staff made you feel welecome throughout your stay and you enjoyed your room and the beautiful view. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Denver
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

It is interesting reading recent reviews of this hotel. We too had the inconvenience of rooms being unavailable at check in and a front desk staff that would benefit from additional training. That said, this was a great place to stay. Location is great. Get a room facing the marina and you'll love the view. Room was comfortable. Bar was fun. One thing missing from other reviews on this hotel is that once you get checked in and get past the front desk which was not firing on all cylinders when we visited, this is a really comfortable place to stay.

Stayed September 2013
1 Thank directedit
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the issue you faced with our newer front desk agents and thank you were not able to check in upon arrival. I have brought this to the attention of our General Manager, Director of Housekeeping and our Front Office Manager so that we can address these items immediately. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
North Carolina
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I stayed here in September for a training.
Check in was quick and the front desk was professional. I also enjoyed my complementary cookie :)
I was on the fourth floor which is considered the "Hilton Honors" floor, I also had a beautiful view of the riverfront and harbor. The first thing I noticed was that the ice machine was out of order, but they did say that they were working on cleaning it.. but it was out of order the 3 days I was there.
The bathroom was clean and looked like it had been updated. All the towels were clean and soft.
The housekeeping did a great job with my room. The bed was super comfy and I slept great the whole time.
Now to the actual room...It needs updating, the carpet was very worn, some of the knobs were missing from the drawers, the glass on the desk was foggy and chipped in places. Also I had NO WATER when I woke up the last day I was there. I couldn't flush the toilet, brush my teeth or take a shower for until after 7:30am, which was an issue because the conference started at 8am.
I went to the gym which also needed updating. There were 6 machines and only 2 of them worked.
DoubleTree is a great chain and you pay a little extra to get the quality. This hotel did not meet my expectations and I was very disappointed. There just isn't much else to choose from so you don't have many more options to choose from.

1 Thank Appsgirl
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the issues you faced with your room and the lack of water when you needed to get ready for your conference. We are just about to begin our renovations and high on our priority list are our guest rooms and the public spaces. I have brought the items you mentioned to the attention of our General Manager, Chief of Engineering, Director of Housekeeping and our Front Office Manager so that each of these can be addressed immediately. Thank you and have a wonderful day!