DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Greenville, South Carolina
“Ok I guess”
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the King balcony facing the river which was a very nice view. Very small bathroom with no room to move around without bumping your feet or elbows on something. Under the sink is open leaving all the rusty sink pipes exposed which is not pleasant at all. Can tell this is for sure an older hotel transitioned into a Double Tree and lacked some Double Tree standards most of us are used to. I did approve of the house keeping staff leaving me clean towels awaiting my arrival in the evening. Since I leave my do not disturb sign on my doorknob at all times. OH! THE HOT WATER IS HORRIBLE. Water pressure is hardly nothing and the water barely gets luke warm. I thought it may just be an evening thing. Guess what the morning just wake up want a hot shower? Nah not at this hotel! I had to raise the heat every time I got out the shower!

The restaurant is average at less you like getting over priced steak, or a cheeseburger and I would recommend just going to a fast food joint than eat there. Not the average restaurant you find in the Double Trees.

Front desk staff is very helpful and friendly. And the cookie need I say more!

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Samuel_1223

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Falls Church, United States
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Great facility, nice river views, very friendly and helpful people. Breakfast was both buffet and made to order items and was included in room costs. Staff quickly accommodated need for adjoining rooms. Service was not diminished despite holiday. Would recommend to anyone.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DianeJSchmitt, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Good Morning

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know you enjoyed your visit with us and I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Thanksgiving at New Bern, NC with our furry children

Wife and I arrived at the hotel at about 13:00 after a two hour drive from Cary, NC. Although check-in is at 15:00. The very friendly front desk person let us have the room early and greeted us with warm chocolate chip cookies. A plus in my book!

Our room was at the first floor, very clean, spacious for the four of us, and facing the marina, wow what a sight. The hotel employees to include other guests were so friendly to us and to our furry children. This is an A+ place to bring our kiddies along. Oh I don’t want to forget kudos to housekeeping; super friendly.

Downtown New Bern is about a five minute walk from the hotel. The residents there are friendly and loving to our furry children.

We took in the sights e.g. Tryon Palace, the marina, downtown, civil war history and the surrounding homes; all beautiful and nicely kept. And at night, went downtown to enjoy the thanksgiving festival; wonderful place!

A tucked away gem.

Good Morning

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know that you enjoyed your visit with us and also New Bern. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Salisbury, United States
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here while traveling on business in mid November '13. The hotel is in great shape and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. The hotel is located on the water front and is a short easy walk to beautiful downtown New Bern. I had dinner at the hotel resturaunt and was plesantly suprised! Had the Mahi mahi - it was one of the best meals I have eaten in a long time! Overall great experience. I will stay here each time I go back to New Bern.

Good Morning

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know that we were able to Create A Rewarding Experience for you during your visit and I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. I will make sure I share with our Executive Chef and his staff how pleased you were with your dinner. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Wilmington, United States
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Great hotel and beautiful location overlooking the water! We stayed in a double room. The toilet and shower are private from sink/vanity area, which was nice for my wife and I. If they provided breakfast, it would've been even better.We stayed longer than expected b/c we wanted to finish touring the entire city. It was a great walking location to basically any of the shops and restaurants downtown.

Good Morning

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy you enjoyed your visit and all New Bern has to offer. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
New Bern, United States
Reviewed 18 November 2013

3rd visit to Double Tree in in 2 1/2 months. The first 2 times we were put up by a corporation that my husband was considering employment with. This last visit was to show my sister the area, because she is seriously considering moving to the area. All time we were put in the older part of the hotel. The weather striping on the doors of the balconies were mildew and torn. The bathtubs were dingy and looked dirty. The first visit the heat did not work in the room. This last visit the refrigerator did not work and the tub did not drain. After reporting the tub issue we were told it was fixed but it still did not drain. I made my reservation well in advance this last visit to assure that we were put in the main hotel after two bad experiences in the older building. I was still placed in the older building. I was considering going to the Merriott but chose to give your hotel one more try due to the fact that this was my sister's first visit and your location is better. My sister plans on returning to the area in 1/2014 and based on her experience there she plans on staying elsewhere. For the rates that you charge one would expect much better. I am not on who usual complains. I use to travel frequently and stay in hotels. I now sail on a large sailboat and often stay on the boat, but often have quest join us where we dock. If they decide not to stay on the boat, they stay in a hotel in the area that we are docked. This hotel was a disappointment 3 times, so I would hesitate to have our quest stay there.

4 Thank Patricia C
Good Morning

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am sorry for the issues you faced during your visit and the for the condition of the rooms you were in. I am happy to report that we just began our renovations on Monday, 12/9/13 and included in that is the updating of all our guest rooms. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us once we have them completed so we can Create A Rewarding Experience for you. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Travellers are raving about these New Bern hotels

Portland, United States
Reviewed 18 November 2013

If decent wi-fi and hot water in the shower are important to you, the New Bern Doubletree may disappoint. It did me. Internet/wi-fi was awful and unusable. This is an old-ish hotel property that's been remolded into a Doubletree. As such, it's got tiny bathrooms. But at least it's got the great cookies at checkin.

2 Thank Jack C
Good Morning

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I'm sorry for the issues you faced with our wi/fi and the hot water. I have brought both of these items to the attention of our General Manager and our Chief of Engineering so they may be addressed immediately. I am glad you enjoyed the warm chocolate chip cookie with walnuts! I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!