“great location”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Richlands, United States
“great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

Even during a remodel of the hotel, the staff and facilities were great. The location next to the harbor provides a great view. With everything in walking distance this old town feel will accomadate all your shopping needs.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Diane T, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us and all that New Bern has to offer. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a great day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

If you want a lovely waterfront location in the historic district this hotel has it. Although a bellman and an evening maintenance man were cheerful, the rest of the staff was lacklustre in attitude and did not fulfill the pledge of Doubletree to make the guests feel welcome and at home. Nary a smile to be seen, heating noisy, tv didn't work in first room Need more attentiveness to detail.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank monasterytraveler
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am very sorry for the issues you faced with your room regarding the TV and the heat. I have brought this to the attention of our General Manager and our Chief of Engineering so they can be addressed immediately. I have also spoken to each of our department heads regarding staff and how each and every member of our team needs to ensure that our guests are being made to feel welcomed throughout their stay. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed in the second building (not the one with the registration desk) in a spacious corner room with great river views. We loved the location and accessibility to downtown New Bern. Large entryway to the room, very comfortable bed, nice front desk staff. Tub was in need of a paint job, the cable didn't work properly, one of our two rooms was not ready for check in by 5 p.m. The hotel is currently putting in new carpets and overall could use a little freshening up in places.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Diane T, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am happy to know you enjoyed your room and our staff made you feel welcomed during your visit. We are still in the process of renovations and our tub refinishing is high on our priority list as are some other updating of guest rooms and hotel in general. Thank you again and have a wonderful day!
new bern
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

Our room was good size , but the bathroom had a leak in it from the ceiling. There was no ceiling tile in place so they knew there was a leak. I did not bother to complain, like i said somebody was aware of the leak. Breakfast the next morning was very nice. Had a good time with friends, but the room was no bargain

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Diane T, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the issue you faced with your room and have brought them to the attention of our General Manager and our Chief of Engineering so it can be addressed immediately. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is currently undergoing renovations, so when you enter the parking lot you are greeted with two overflowing dumpsters of carpet. The staff was as friendly as they had to be without being rude. The warm cookies at check in were a nice touch. Our suite was nice, seems it's renovations weren't quite finished since the furniture was different shades and quite torn up and the bathtub needed work and didn't drain properly. The toilet had to be flushed repeatedly to get anything to go down, and the hot water didn't work. When we called the front desk about the hot water on Thursday we were told that "because of where your room was located in the building the water needed to run for 15-20 minutes before it would get hot" Friday morning it ran for 15 seconds before being scalding hot and my shower had two water temperatures scalding hot or freezing cold.
We did order breakfast from room service and the food was great...In my opinion, the "Starbucks" coffee was horrible. I do not feel this room (or our experience with this hotel) were worth the almost $200 we spent. When we told the girl at check out about the water issue her response was "oh, sorry about that". Shame on you Hilton, I expect MUCH better quality/service out of your hotels.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Leslee D
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to reivew the property. I am so sorry for the issues you faced during your stay and can assure you that strive to make all our guests happy. We have just finished installing the new carpeting in our guest rooms and the hallways and have also update the guest room furnishings. Our hot water heater has been repaired so that we don't have that issue again. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again in the future so we can Create A Rewarding Experience for you. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

This hotel hasn't had a thing done to it since it's doors opened. For those of us with allergic respiratory issues, asthma, COPD DO NOT STAY HERE! As soon as you round the corner from the check-in desk to the elevators, you start smelling the mustiness and mold. Then you see how thread-bare and worn the carpets are and the scuffs on walls, etc. We stayed on the top floor, not the "club" floor and it was obvious that there had been water damage at some point from the uneven slope of the floors and the strong smell in the room. We were there over holidays and literally intended to only stay there to sleep, so I thought I would be fine. My husband, without allergies, also noted how musty and moldy it smelled. I was in the room less than 2 hours when I had coughing and bronchospasm. We quickly packed and went downstairs to get the car to go to our family's house. I ended up in the emergency room. My attorney relatives were pushing that I demand reimbursement not only for the night but also the ER bill. I do not have asthma...if you do, this is a risky place! Stay in the Comfort Suites by the park. We thought that was where we were staying this time. We have been there before and it is nice and clean and not moldy. The front desk did not offer anything other than a "sorry" and charged us for the night...we were there 2 hours. Even if you don't have allergies, if you just like your lodging not to look like a worn-down, battered spring break hotel then stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank withoutscreenname
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize on behalf of the DoubleTree by Hilton for the issues you faced with the condition of the carpeting. I would like to tell you that we just finished installing carpeting throughout the hotel which includes our guest rooms and the guest floor hallways. We have also replaced some of the furnishings within the guest rooms. We have completed the first phase of the renovations and we look forward to the next improvement at the property. I hope in the future we have the pleasure of you staying with us again so we can give you a rewarding experience. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Travellers are raving about these New Bern hotels

Hattiesburg, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

The DoubleTree New Bern is an excellent hotel, great staff, great location. However, there is one HUGE FATAL FLAW for business travelers. It is completely unacceptable, in my opinion, for the HOTEL BAR to be BLARING music until 1 AM!!!!!! I had to call the front desk to report the problem twice. I was told it was ending and then five minutes later the jukebox came on BLARING. This hotel should take into account that business travelers work on the weekend, as well. Not everyone enjoys being kept awake due to the karaoke and jukebox going into the wee hours of the morning. It is utterly appalling that the hotel is willing to DEPRIVE its guests of sleep, in order to increase bar revenues. For the record, I do not have a problem with the music going until 10 or maybe even 11pm. In the summer months, when they have the music at the pool - that doesn't bother me as long as it ends at a decent hour. Having a bar directly below the guest rooms that plays obnoxiously loud music (I was on the second floor 208) is ridiculous. ESPECIALLY, when the hotel knows they have a business group staying at the hotel who is utilizing the meeting/conference space. The next day, I was permitted to change rooms to the other building. However, that was also a hassle having to lug my stuff across the property on just a quick break I had during my meeting. Very disappointed with management's decision regarding the weekend entertainment.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank itskc468
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize on behalf of the DoubleTree by Hilton and can assure you we want all our guests to be happy and have a rewarding experience, I am sorry you did not. I have brought this to the attention of our General Manager and our Food and Beverage Manager so that we can be more thoughtful to our business travelers. I have also spoken to our Front Desk staff so that can be proactive when assigning rooms to our guests and it is on nights we have music. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again so we can give you a more enjoyable experience. Thank you and have a wonderful day!