“Poor quality” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Sims, United States
“Poor quality”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Hotel staff appeared disheveled with poor appearance. No air condition in hallways and elevator. This was an extremely uncomfortable experience. One small TV in a large suite. No refrigerator available in room to keep drinks cool.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Rebecca R
DianeJSchmitt, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Good Afternoon

I wanted to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the issues you faced during your stay and can assure you they have all been addressed. These are certainly not the standards we strive to achieve. Thank you and have a great day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Beware there is currently a lot of renovation work taking place that they don't warn you about when you book a room. Worse still, the workers are leaving fire doors propped open and trip hazards in the emergency exit staircases. Housekeeping is random; frustrating unless you like to play a game of spotting what they've forgotten to do/replace each day. Toilet is faulty in my room, meaning running water noises all through the night. It took two days of reporting it before maintenance looked at. Their work has made the problem worse. The staff don't know their own hotel - on several occasions I've been given incorrect answers to my questions. You can't really swim in the pool. It's about 10m long, but there's a rope half way along meaning a maximum swimming distance of about 5m. The "business centre" is a couple of Windows XP computers and a very basic printer but no scanner. On Friday nights a local DJ plays very loud music on the deck until 10pm. My room is about as far away as you can get from the deck, but the music was still louder than I was playing my own music in the room - not a good environment for working or sleeping in. I need to stay in the area longer than originally planned, but the staff weren't interested in letting me keep the room so I'll be checking out early and taking my business elsewhere. Location is the only plus for this hotel: lots of good independent restaurants within walking distance for the evenings. The waterside is great, but there are only 4 small outdoor tables you can eat at here at the hotel - what a wasted opportunity.

Room Tip: Higher number rooms are furthest from the awful loud music on the deck on Friday night (but it's...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Legs E
Good Afternoon

I would like to apologize for the issues you faced during your stay. I can assure you the items that you mention are not what we strive for here. I have brought all of them to the attention of our General Manager, Director of Housekeeping, Chief of Engineering and our Front Office Manager and can assure you each of the items will be addressed immediately. These are certainly not the standards we strive to achieve. If you would like to contact me directly so I can make this right for you, please do so. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Travellers are raving about these New Bern hotels

Bienville, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Was put in a room with AC broken. Management kept working on the AC but couldn't fix it. After temp reached 82 degrees insisted they move me. They then would not give me a king bed until I informed them I was checking out - then a king room magically became available.

2 Thank Martin T
Good Afternoon

I wanted to thank you for your recent stay and to also apologize for the air conditioning issue that happened during your visit. I can assure you that it has been serviced and fully operational again. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can make this right for you. Thank you in advance and have a wonderful day!
New Bern, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

This was the last straw with the Double Tree in New Bern, NC. Thanks for two days of 80 degrees in my room when you promised to fix the air conditioning. I work very long days and could not change rooms at 9:30PM . I went to the room you offered and it was also very hot and humidity nasty. How much can the Hilton that supports the Double tree HILTOn failures. And dissatisfied customer services. This needs to be taken to the next level the failure of management.

1 Thank Annette V
Good Afternoon

I would like to apologize for the issue you faced with the air conditioning not functioning. I can certainly understand and appreciate how uncomfortable you were. I would like to assure you that the unit has been serviced and is now operational. Please contact me directly as I would like to make this right for you. Thank you in advance and have a wonderful day!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was not given the room I booked. I ask for them to move me and they told me it was not possible. Very poor customer service. I was not given the room I booked. I ask for them to move me and they told me it was not possible. Very poor customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

2 Thank brooksc931
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so sorry that our staff did not accommodate your room type request. I have brought this to the attention of our General Manager and our Front Office Manager so that if and when a request is made that we try to honor the best we can. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
New Bern, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My wife and I have stayed here the last two years to celebrate our anniversary. We love the top floor balcony rooms that overlook the marina and sound. We have always gotten good service and the people are very accommodating. If there are any cons I would have to say that being an older hotel there are a few things that need to be updated. One example is the sliding glass door going out to the balcony was very difficult to slide. But overall, there are no problems with this hotel. We will stay here again and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Good Afternoon

Thank you chosing our property to celebrate your anniversary and for also taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know you enjoyed the last two wonderful occasions with us and we look forward to your next return. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
south miami, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I travel weekly and find the Hilton Garden Inns to be a much better value. Poor desk service, tv didn't work, bath tub cracked, woke to whistling shower next door at 4 am, HVAC one floor below so loud couldn't sleep, elevator broken, lobby coffee service hidden in restaurant and staff seemed to infer we were stealing coffee, business center couldn't print air tickets, invoice dropped thru 5' high mail slot in door which at 4 am was disturbing. I'll do the Courtyard for me and my staff next time. Second time I've been disappointed at this location and commented. No I don't want any perks so don't ask.

2 Thank Donald G A