“Less than satisfied”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Less than satisfied”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

First of all, let me say that the lady who greeted me at the front desk when I checked in was wonderful and accommodating. Also, the view of the marina outside my window was breathtaking. Everything was wonderful except the service offered by the hotel staff. My flight arrived very late and I didn't get to the hotel until midnight. I was exhausted. I asked for a 6:30 a.m. wakeup call. I received the wakeup call 15 minutes early at 6:15 a.m. I ordered room service to bring breakfast between 6:45 and 7:00 a.m. Room service arrived at 6:25 a.m.! When I told the woman who brought my breakfast how late I had gotten to bed and commented that the staff should learn how to tell time, she complained about me to her superiors. Later when I returned from my meetings and ordered lunch in the hotel restaurant, this same woman rang up my lunch purchase. The hotel/restaurant manager came out from the kitchen and stared at me while I paid my bill and this woman brought up our earlier exchange as though I had done something wrong. I could not wait to get away from that hotel and I do not intend to return. The hotel manager is clearly more concerned with protecting the feelings of their staff than ensuring their guests receive decent service.

2 Thank A H
DianeJSchmitt, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I also wanted to apologize for the issues you faced with "timing". I can assure you I have personally taken care of this so it does not impact another guest, I'm very sorry you were. I have also brought the issue of the manger in the restaurant to the attention of our General Manager and our Director of Food & Beverage so that this can be addressed immediately, this is certainly not how we wnat our guests to be treated. Thank you again and have a wonderful day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Doubletree in New Bern is really, really trying to become the top hotel in New Bern. It's got a ways to go, but the location is perfect, and with a few additional upgrades, this should be a top choice in this charming little river town.

Formerly the Hilton (and of course still a Hilton brand), the Doubletree has taken over a second building at the Yacht Club/marina and is converting it to upscale rooms. On a recent two-day stay, our room was in this second building. The room had been renovated, and it was huge for a non-suite, but there were still some little issues not yet resolved, such as an old bath tub that had not yet been refinished, a tiny TV (especially given the size of the room) and a door that didn't lock unless you slammed the heck out of it. Still, this room was HUGE, with new carpet, new paint and new furnishings (albeit only one chair).

And you can't beat the hotel location with a stick, right on the river with a nice breeze most times to cool things down, and within easy walking distance of the main part of downtown New Bern, both the shops ... and the empty store fronts. (Okay, let's tell it like it is: New Bern is charming but the "reconstructed" Tryon Palace and the old houses can't bring in enough people to fill those empty storefronts -- looks like some of the existing merchants are struggling.)

Bottom line: I'd stay at the Doubletree New Bern again, but maybe give it a few more months to finish up the renovations and upgrades.

Room Tip: The rooms in the second building are large, but a bit of a hike to the main hotel building. If you...
1 Thank LanSluderBelize
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. As you are aware we are very excited for our 2nd phase of renovations to be completed shortly and look forward to making even more improvements at our property. We look forward to having you stay with us again when they are complete so we can Create A Rewarding Experience for you. Thank you and have a great day!
Winterville, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband arranged for us to spend part of our anniversary weekend here. He told them when he made the reservation that it was our anniversary. No one bothered to acknowledge that it was our anniversary. The rooms were clean enough. Pillows were not very comfortable and the bathroom was extremely "tight".The toilet was right at the door and there could have been more vanity space. We had very loud neighbors that we could hear all night. The restaurant, Christoph's On the Water had a rating of 90.5 (??) The food looked decent, but we did not eat because we had reservations at another restaurant. The bar area was nice. It was pretty crowded because the weather caused everyone to come inside. The bar had pretty decent drink specials. The hotel itself had a rating of only 92.5. Overall, the stay was ok, but just not up to normal "Hilton" expectations.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Missuuncleronnie
Good Afternoon

I wanted to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so sorry that we overlooked your anniversary, I can assure you that we do try to make each guest feel special and especially those with such wonderful occasions that they celebrate with us. We are in the process of renovations and I hope when they are complete you will give us another opportunity to make you feel special during your stay. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
The Woodlands, United States
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Poor quality rooms and comfort--not Hilton Quality--More like a cheap Motel 6---at a much higher price--- the location was the only saving grace-- patrons not at the hotel were loud at the bar and took all of the parking up---

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

4 Thank Jerry M
Good Afternoon

I wanted to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so sorry that your stay was not what we would like our guests to experience. We are in the process of renovations so that our property can be more appealing and comfortable. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again and we can provide the wonderful experience you should of had. Thank you and have a great day!
Wilmington, United States
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Arrogant and uncaring! I had called in advance asking for an early check-in time. the desk clerk on the phone was very accommodating and while not as early as I asked for she did say 1:30 would be the earliest she could offer. I accepted that. Upon arrival at 1:25 I was told that check in time was 3:00 PM, no earlier and she did not care what the clerk on the phone said, "It was not me!" We left! Upon our return, housekeeping had just finished setting our room up and was still in the hallway. The next morning there was a meal tray in the hallway. That tray remained in front of the room door all day! The upper floor hallways were hot and humid and we could not open the balcony door without getting smoke in our room from the deck lounge FIVE FLOORS BELOW! I expected better from a Hilton Hotel, I got Motel 6!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank William M. E
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for they myriad of issues you faced during your stay and can assure you those are not the standards we strive to achieve. In regard to our staff I will make sure this is addressed immediately as we want to make sure our guests are welcomed throughout their stay. Thank you and have a great day!
Chesapeake, VA
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed there Friday - Sunday of July 4th weekend. Was a little concerned reading the negative reviews concerning the renovations they are going through. We have stayed here twice in the past and were really surprised when I saw all the bad reviews.

We arrived Friday at about noon and our room was not ready yet. I figured it wouldn't be as they were totally booked for the weekend. We sat outside on the deck and had a drink and some food, and not too long after that our room was ready. The room was very nice, clean, and comfortable. You saw very little intrusion of renovations taking place over the whole property.

Every employee we came in contact with, including Diane, the guest relations manager, was very courteous and helpful.

I can't speak for all the negative reviews, and maybe a while ago they had some issues, but we did not experience any problems during our stay, and won't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank awc88
Good Afternoon

I wanted to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy I got the pleasure to meet you while you were here and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you back again. Thank you and have a great day!
KY
Reviewed 14 July 2014

First of all, you can't beat the location. Located just steps from the water and a couple of blocks from really cool shops and restaurants in historic downtown New Bern. There is a lot of cool stuff to see within walking distance including Tryon Palace and Bradham's Pharmacy (birthplace of Pepsi). It's right next door to the convention center.
As far as the property is concerned, it does show its age a bit. When I checked in, my room was terribly stuffy and muggy. I notified the front desk, and maintenance was in my room within 15 minutes. After about a half hour, the problem was fixed. The front desk even gave me a voucher for a free drink for the inconvenience.
Even though it's an older property, you can't beat the location and the view of the boats and bridges. I will definitely stay here again because of those factors as well as the customer service I encountered throughout my stay.

2 Thank KentuckyPT
DianeJSchmitt, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Good Afternoon

I wanted to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know that our staff was able to meet your needs and that you enjoyed our little town. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!