“Is the Hilton brand slipping?”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Toronto
“Is the Hilton brand slipping?”
Reviewed 15 March 2010

This hotel has the best location in town. Stayed for one night in probably one of the best rooms, a king riverview on the top floor. Compared to the Hampton mini-suite that we had stayed in the night previous in Murrells Inlet, the room is small and the bathroom is ridiculous. The view is gorgeous with a nice balcony to sit and watch the sunset, if only there were chairs to sit on. Lots of free parking. Yes, the internet was free too, but since it didn't work most of the time, it didn't make much difference. Lots of nice restaurants within walking distance, which is good, since the breakfast buffet is pretty basic ($10.99 but we had coupons). This is not a new hotel but rather a purchase from the Sheraton chain who are also going downhill in my opinion. We had a great night's sleep in a comfortable bed which is probably the most important thing the hotel can provide but I still think Hilton needs to think about the little touches too.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed 2 March 2010

This is a newer property and nicely situated to enjoy the marina. Since i stayed in a very cold February, I did not enjoy deck-side dining, etc. But-- the exercise room was quite nice--you just have to run through the cold to a separate building...Wifi came right up...and te room was clean and comfortable. Stayed two different nights, each with a beautiful view of the rising sun over the marina. Fantastic! Can't recommend the tiny lounge, where drinks are closely measured...but at least it is close to several dining places in the historic district. At this writing the drawbridge into town is closed...check your maps for the best route to get in. Also, the pool is drained and needs cleaning-badly.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Winchester VA
Reviewed 16 February 2010

A sudden blackout, a hotel paralyzed by uncertainty, panic by the staff, and abandonment of best hotel management practices...This was last night at the Hilton New Bern Riverfront. A power outage, due, admittedly by the city utility company (just this area of town), left the Hilton dark and eerie. The hallway emergency lights were inadequate, and I found it difficult to get to the emergency stairway--which, was rather dark too. At the exit to the outside, there were no emergency lights, and I tripped, almost falling down a small flight of stairs. I made it to my car and met my client for dinner. Two hours later I returned, the staff was inexperienced in the situation, but a young man escorted me to the stairs so I could climb to the fourth floor. My room had lights, no internet, no heat on a cold night. After reading myself to sleep, I heard the heater come on at around 11 p.m. A bit late for any productivity for me.
I left for meetings early, but when I returned this evening, I asked if there were any credits for inconvenience. The front desk staff was uncomfortable and equivocated. One of them consulted the manager and was told to reduce my rate to a higher one than I was paying (not a discount rate through an aggregator, but through the Hilton web site). I asked to speak with the manager, who finally emerged--a tall, stately and commanding woman who was polite, efficient, uncompromising, and chilly. She reluctantly, after denying any responsibility for the situation, offered $5 off per night. This was clearly the best I would get, so I accepted it graciously. My biggest issue: she blamed the victim--"most of our guests did not complain." I will write a follow up about what I consider to be the declining condition of this property, but I think that the manager's imperious and resolute position demonstrates how this sparsely filled hotel marginalizes legitimate complaints by inconvenienced travelers.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank themajortraveler

Travellers are raving about these New Bern hotels

St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 12 February 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton, New Bern. The location is fantastic, staff even better, only draw back in noise from room to room ( better soundproofing would have been a plus) and no movies in room. But all that aside we enjoyed the warm staff here, and would stay here again. They even allowed our 130LB dog to stay, even thought Hilton.com states 75lb max.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 January 2010

After a long day of driving and no reservations, we pulled into this hotel looking for a last minute place to stay. I am sure that we were disheveled and road weary.

We were greeted by a charming staff who overlooked all that and made us feel at home. Ultimately our room cost less than the Comfort Suites which was located down the block and where a recent traveler had stated that their car had been rifled through in a recent review.

Our experience was quite the opposite. We were given a room overlooking the marina. The accomodations were rich looking and the room very comfortable. Location was excellent.

I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 7 December 2009

When we first arrived, we were greeted very politely, but we had an issue when checking in. We had noted when we made our reservation that we would be traveling with a pet, but when we got to the hotel, they didn't have the proper room assigned to us. So instead of getting a pet-friendly room with a king with got a room with two doubles. They were nice enough to move us from a city view room to a river view room.
The room itself was nice until you started to really look around. As soon as we opened the door, we noticed the room had a strange smell to it. We had requested a non-smoking room, but it smelled suspicious. Also, I noticed that the vaccum had failed to reach into the corners of the room. There was grime and dust on the carpet and spider webs near the floor in the corners. The beds appeared nice and clean though, as did the bathroom. Overall, it wasn't too bad. It was just little things that could be done to have improved the room.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Milano
Reviewed 15 November 2009

I came in late, I have been told a king size bed was not available (as I asked in my reservation) and they rerouted me on a double bed room. When in the room I had the bad idea of charging my phone with the socket behind the night table. What a surprise! orrible dirty behind it, and what was worse: a dead bug, similar to a beatle lying on the ground.
I tried to sleep since was too late to change a room. The morning after I reported to the reception in a very kind way, asking to clean properly the room. The receptionis laughed and she ensured they would have cleaned properly, No excuses.
The evening i go back to my room, everything was as before, the bug still there and the same dirty. I called the reception, the were sorry and say they would call me back. Five minutes later I call back, they can change me the room and, what a surprise, they give me a king size bed (which was not available the day before!). The lady who comes to help has nothing else to say that "I am sorry". During the evening I find a letter with excuses from the manager and 2 free drinks at the bar (that i haven't used). Unfortunately I have to go very often to the same town, and not many hotels are available...

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business