“Ideally Situated”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Reviewed 1 August 2010

The property is ideally situated along the Trent River and near the charming downtown New Bern area. When I landed at Coastal Carolina Regional Airport, I called the hotel and the shuttle arrived 15 minutes later. The driver apologized for not arriving sooner, noting that he was on a run when I arrived. I didn't feel like the wait was an issue at all, but appreciated his honesty. The drive to the hotel from the airport took just 6 or 7 minutes. When I checked in, the desk clerk wasn't sure whether any river view rooms were available and asked if I minded waiting a few minutes to see whether one was. I was glad I did wait, because the view of the river, marina and nearby bridges was really enjoyable. The room included a refrigerator and 32" or so flat screen, with some of the local channels in HD. The bathroom was tight, as other reviewers have noted. In addition to the great river views, the hotel is a very short walk to the pleasant downtown area, with restaurants, shops and historical ambiance. There were two bottles of water in the room, which were available at no charge to guests, a nice touch. The free Wi-Fi was easy to connect too, but I had to refresh my connection a couple of times to stay online. I ate breakfast at the on site restaurant in the morning and was impressed with how reasonably it was priced. When I checked out, the shuttle was ready to take me to my next stop

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank H0lidayr0ad
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront

Reviewed 12 June 2010

We were online and getting ready to book a room when my husband pointed out perhaps we should call to see if they had room in the parking lot for our UHaul truck (we were moving to a new house).

Called several times before someone answered finally the phone. The woman who answered was SO rude! She said she didn't even think they had a room available for the night we were looking to book. When I explained that I was getting ready to click "confirm" online right at that moment, she told me she didn't think the website was correct and that she doubted we would even be guaranteed a room.

Not wanting to argue with her about room availability, I explained the reason I was calling was to find out about parking lot space and whether a UHaul truck would have room there. The clerk again told me she thought the hotel was full and that she didn't think they could accomodate a UHaul truck. She put me on hold for a few minutes and when she came back she told me "everyone is too busy to help right now." She said I could call back and ask someone else later if I wanted, but that she couldn't confirm whether we could park a UHaul truck there or not.

I booked with Comfort Suites instead. It is right down the road, about $30 cheaper and still has a riverview. The staff at Comfort Suites was friendly, accomodating and knowledgable about parking facilities in New Bern. Not only did they have room for us to park but they suggested several places we could park in case the parking lot is full.

I hate to say this because I am a Hilton Honors member, but don't waste your time with the Hilton in New Bern. They obviously don't need our money since they are "too busy to help."

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kimberella2
Reviewed 5 June 2010

My wife and I had planned to stay at a recommended B&B but there were no vacancies so we stayed at the Hilton. What aturn of good luck! This was the perfect place from which to tour the town on foot, and to return to and have a leisurely "cool down" by the yacht club. There is no need to spend extra for a River View room, as the City View is quite quaint and attractive. Our room was spacious with a great shower and superb air conditioning.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I was impressed by the view staying on the top floor of The Hilton with a actual balcony that you could go onto that had beautiful views with great photo opportunitues for Sunsets and Sunrises. This balcony should have had chairs to sit on to enjoy the view. The Bathroom was very small for this property but nicely remodeled and updated. The bed was extremely comfortable and I was able to sleep nice all the nights I stayed at the property. There is great bar downstairs with friendly people and live music. Great walking distance to the downtown area and Convention Center. If it rains good luck trying to get back and forth to the covention center make sure your bring a umbrella if you are there for business as there is no covered walkway. Charming town with great restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2010

This hotel has the best location in town. Stayed for one night in probably one of the best rooms, a king riverview on the top floor. Compared to the Hampton mini-suite that we had stayed in the night previous in Murrells Inlet, the room is small and the bathroom is ridiculous. The view is gorgeous with a nice balcony to sit and watch the sunset, if only there were chairs to sit on. Lots of free parking. Yes, the internet was free too, but since it didn't work most of the time, it didn't make much difference. Lots of nice restaurants within walking distance, which is good, since the breakfast buffet is pretty basic ($10.99 but we had coupons). This is not a new hotel but rather a purchase from the Sheraton chain who are also going downhill in my opinion. We had a great night's sleep in a comfortable bed which is probably the most important thing the hotel can provide but I still think Hilton needs to think about the little touches too.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2010

This is a newer property and nicely situated to enjoy the marina. Since i stayed in a very cold February, I did not enjoy deck-side dining, etc. But-- the exercise room was quite nice--you just have to run through the cold to a separate building...Wifi came right up...and te room was clean and comfortable. Stayed two different nights, each with a beautiful view of the rising sun over the marina. Fantastic! Can't recommend the tiny lounge, where drinks are closely measured...but at least it is close to several dining places in the historic district. At this writing the drawbridge into town is closed...check your maps for the best route to get in. Also, the pool is drained and needs cleaning-badly.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 February 2010

A sudden blackout, a hotel paralyzed by uncertainty, panic by the staff, and abandonment of best hotel management practices...This was last night at the Hilton New Bern Riverfront. A power outage, due, admittedly by the city utility company (just this area of town), left the Hilton dark and eerie. The hallway emergency lights were inadequate, and I found it difficult to get to the emergency stairway--which, was rather dark too. At the exit to the outside, there were no emergency lights, and I tripped, almost falling down a small flight of stairs. I made it to my car and met my client for dinner. Two hours later I returned, the staff was inexperienced in the situation, but a young man escorted me to the stairs so I could climb to the fourth floor. My room had lights, no internet, no heat on a cold night. After reading myself to sleep, I heard the heater come on at around 11 p.m. A bit late for any productivity for me.
I left for meetings early, but when I returned this evening, I asked if there were any credits for inconvenience. The front desk staff was uncomfortable and equivocated. One of them consulted the manager and was told to reduce my rate to a higher one than I was paying (not a discount rate through an aggregator, but through the Hilton web site). I asked to speak with the manager, who finally emerged--a tall, stately and commanding woman who was polite, efficient, uncompromising, and chilly. She reluctantly, after denying any responsibility for the situation, offered $5 off per night. This was clearly the best I would get, so I accepted it graciously. My biggest issue: she blamed the victim--"most of our guests did not complain." I will write a follow up about what I consider to be the declining condition of this property, but I think that the manager's imperious and resolute position demonstrates how this sparsely filled hotel marginalizes legitimate complaints by inconvenienced travelers.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business