“A great value in a great location. Recently renovation done well.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Southport, North Carolina
“A great value in a great location. Recently renovation done well.”
Reviewed 26 November 2010

A perfect location in New Bern. Park free and walk everywhere. Wonderful renovation from the old Sheraton with nice furniture, TV new bathrooms and a view of the harbor that is unmatched. Woke up each morning to a beautiful sunrise over the Trent River and harbor. Friendly and helpful staff made our Thanksgiving wonderful. Will stay there again soon I hope.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Virginia,USA
Reviewed 22 November 2010

The views of the River are really great, the carpets are really sad! Overall this is a good facility in a great location, in a really historical 300 year old city. Our 5th floor room was okay except for the thread-bare carpet, worn down to the bare floor! The hall carpets were almost the same, full of ripples and torn spots. Some areas were so bad that one could almost expect to trip and fall, as my wife did as I caught her! The restaurant was overpriced with a limited selection. Everything we ordered resulted in a very long wait for food that was extremely spicy, to the point that you could not tell what you were eating. As a Hilton Gold member, this Hilton does not measure up. Checking out, the only human contact was "Your room number?" There was no "thank you, how was your stay, was everything OK, etc, etc". I don't think they care one way or the other!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bobsva
NY
Reviewed 13 November 2010

Hilton should remove their name from this property. I have stayed twicve because I am a Hilton Honors member and the klocation is great. On the first visit they gave us a beautiful suite in the Inn. The problem was that there was no airconditioning (they knew this before they gave us the room) and there were no curtains or blinds on the windows, They moved us to a room in the "newer" part but it was quite dirty. the carpet was horrible in the hall and in the room. There was no airconditionng in the hall ways and the ice maker defrosted all over the hall.

Visit two.... wishfully thinking that it would be better, we revisted the hotel. We had a king room on the 4th floor. Again, the carpets were dirty and the room smelled terribly. It smelled damp and of over use of air freshener, which didnt work. The staff is friendly and the location if great... aside from that I can think of nothing good to say about this hotel. The smell was bad enough that my wife and i woke up felling ill. My previous experience with this hotle told me that the staff would be polite but do nothing so we endured as we were only here for 2 nights.

Hilton.... Are you listening....

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank ccham

Travellers are raving about these New Bern hotels

Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 November 2010

We loved the city of New Bern, and this was the perfect place to say, everything in town was walk able from the hotel. The room was wonderful and the beds were super comfy. It was a great nights sleep

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 October 2010

I've stayed at several hotels in New Bern, and this is one that I will not go back to. I was initially excited to try this hotel. It has a great location: not only is it in the middle of the quaint downtown, but its also right on the river, with a marina attached to it.
I checked in, and got a room on the 5th floor. This is the only floor that has balconies, which overlook the water and the marina. Awesome view! The good part ends there. The rug in the 5th floor hallway is rippled and folded up like an ocean with big waves. I'd never seen anything like that in any hotel, let alone a Hilton. It was the entire long hallway, not just one small section.
I then went into my room. The carpet here had several large holes and rips in it. There were ants streaming along one wall. The toilet ball was dirty, and had clearly just been used by someone with some GI issues. I tried to flush it away. . .it was clogged! Management was very slow to respond to all of these problems. Further issues: only a few channels that weren't scrambled on the tv. Truly without exaggeration, the a/c unit made a loud screeching sound that sounded like a dying cat all night long. In the lobby, there were connecting hallways with smelly, moldy carpet. The gym had exercise equipment with built-in tv's, but did not actually receive a SINGLE channel!
This was not a one-time thing. I stayed four times in this hotel over a couple of months. The location is so good that I really wanted to like it. Three of the four times, it was horrible. One time, I got a large suite in the newer of the two building. This room was nicer, but had no balcony, no wifi within range, and the tv only tuned in 4 channels. Further, it had no desk, and was a very long walk from the front desk.
Don't be lured by the location, this is a sub-par hotel that is not remotely worthy of the Hilton name.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank enicideme
South Carolina
Reviewed 18 October 2010

My wife and I decided to go to New Bern for the Mum festival. We had been there before only 14 years ago. I decided to stay at the Hilton because it is waterfront and have rooms with a balcony. We always look for balconies because it gives a less claustrophobic feeling. I reserved one of the balcony rooms and am glad I printed out the reservation and took it with me. When we got there we were told there were no balcony rooms available. I showed my reservation reciept and the new clerk got a manager. They were immediately able to find an available room with balcony. Just wonder why they didn't have the request in their computer and how they "found" a room. Other than that clitch our stay there was wonderful. They did give us two free drinks in the bar for the clitch which I thought was classy. The staff were great, the 2 days of free breakfast was well worth it, and the room was wonderful. I do wish the Hilton would get the same beds as their Hampton branch has. The bed was nice but not as nice as the Hampton's pillow top. Minor stuff. All in all we'd definately stay here again when we next visit New Bern.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Plattsburgh, New York
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We booked a riverview balcony room with nice amenities and were told when we arrived that we couldn't have our dog in that room (we had checked ahead of time). We took the smaller, no frills room that looked out over the parking lot. To add insult to injury, there was no hot water for the first day and a half (they were working on it) - we were told we could shower in the main building if we wanted (campgrounds?). When we checked out I asked for a discount on our room and were told there was nothing they could do, that we had booked through an on-line site. I left my number for the manager and left a message on her voicemail and I'm sure the counter help explained, but she never returned any of my calls. I'm sure they thought because we were from out of state that they'd never see us again - just wait until we return in a couple of months....

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple