The Shady Lawn Lodge
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgrandfather mountainshady lawnmason jarlow to the groundcomfortable mattresswould definitely stay here againbanner elkthe blue ridge parkwayblowing rockroom was cleannice bathroomup to datestayed two nightsshort drivecoffee makernice staymotel
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The room was great and we enjoyed our stay. Everybody at the hotel was very friendly and the rooms are very clean. This was our second stay and we would stay there again. The beds are very comfortable and the showers are amazing.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mandy L
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The motel is spotlessly clean, comfortable, and quiet with very friendly helpful staff. As the title says it is a great value. My travel friend and I tend to favor family-owned businesses over the chains and we were very pleased. We would book here again without hesitation if we are traveling in this area again. It is well situated geographically for exploring the Blue Ridge Pkwy. and the Smokey Mtn. area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I had an overall positive experience here. The staff was friendly enough and the rooms were far better than should be expected in a motel. The granite countertops, in particular, were a nice touch. My only minor complaint about the room was that the coffee pot was not cleaned and had coffee in it from the previous day's guest. On the other hand, hotel coffee is so terrible that I don't think I missed anything.

One major complaint is the service at the on-site restaurant. I went in for lunch and sat at the bar when it was not particularly crowded, yet I was ignored and waited over ten minutes without even acknowledgement that I had arrived. Two girls, who looked too young to be working anywhere, smiled at me but didn't offer to help, while the only waitress in the room was chatting away with a customer. After I got tired of waiting, I walked to the cash register to complain on my way out; but no one noticed me there either, so I simply walked out and went to the Mason Jar restaurant down the street, where I had an excellent meal.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Great room, wonderful accommodations, exceptionally clean and well-maintained, very comfortable beds, and amazing shower! Only thing I wish they had was built-in hairdryers like most hotels--but a minor inconvenience. An incredible value. Getting married in Aug and will recommend this place to all family and friends!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We normally stay in branded hotels when we travel but chose Shady Lawn for it's proximity. It is a gorgeous motel! The rooms are actually suites with living room, kitchenette along with bedroom and bath. The room was immaculate, staff amazing and manager extremely helpful. I was ill when we checked in and they were so concerned about me it was amazing. They made sure we knew where the sheriff's department was, where the hospital was and that our cell service may or may not work so be sure to use the room phone. When we go back to Newland, NC later this year, we will be sure to stay at The Shady Lawn. I wish there were more motels and staff like this. If you are in the area, you can't go wrong by staying here.

Room Tip: If you go in the summer, be sure to ask for a room with central air. They are currently updating all the rooms. Rooms 18 and 19 have central air. All rooms are on 1st floor except for 2 bedroom apt.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple