“good stay”

The Shady Lawn Lodge
“good stay”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had a good stay at Shady Lawn Lodge. It is family run and they go the extra mile to make sure you have a good stay. This motel it is good value for the money.
Our room, room 7, was quiet, clean and comfy. Everything was tastefully renovated. The beds, bedding and pillows were good, and I liked the stall shower.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maxine C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The place looks a little seedy from the outside, but I think it's more the busy highway location and the color of the exterior paint. Inside the rooms are just lovely (I saw a friend's room too) ... all updated and elegant with granite bathroom counters and roomy shower enclosures. Really, very nice. I found the mattress a little soft, and low to the ground, but that's just personal preference. It was very nice all around. The staff (pretty much all family) is very friendly and anxious to please. The coffee was surprisingly good in the lobby. I thought it was a little pricey for the neighborhood, but everything was very clean and tasteful. Perhaps I am wrong about the value.

Room Tip: #4 is furthest from your car ... almost every other room is park in front and no stairs. Also, be su...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank dreamdiver
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My family and I had planned a last minute trip to the mountains Memorial Day weekend. Found this place close to our destinations and just needed something for the night. We checked out reviews and decided to try it. Upon arrival, the staff were great. We enjoyed a very clean,renovated & comfortable king suite. Though it had no a/c, the temperature was quite ideal for sleeping as the night we stay lowered to the 40's. With the window open and a fan, it turned out pretty perfect. I normally don't sleep well in hotel rooms but this didn't feel like a hotel and I slept soundly. If it weren't for us moving long, a second night would have been booked. Comfortable sofa, bed and pillows and still felt brand new. Oh and the little diner below, was great too for breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank momofone97
Wilkesboro NC
Reviewed 24 May 2014

we were in Newland for a couple of days and had booked the Shady Lawn Lodge thru their web page. We were not disappointed....our room was immaculate, bed very comfortable, the kitchen was very nice ...I too enjoyed the granite countertops, But the friendly staff was the topper..I truly felt like a guest...and pampered...our experience at the restaurant was great.....very good food and service. We will be back soon. Loved it

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chickenman151
Lincolnton, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The room was great and we enjoyed our stay. Everybody at the hotel was very friendly and the rooms are very clean. This was our second stay and we would stay there again. The beds are very comfortable and the showers are amazing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mandy L
Port Orange, Florida
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The motel is spotlessly clean, comfortable, and quiet with very friendly helpful staff. As the title says it is a great value. My travel friend and I tend to favor family-owned businesses over the chains and we were very pleased. We would book here again without hesitation if we are traveling in this area again. It is well situated geographically for exploring the Blue Ridge Pkwy. and the Smokey Mtn. area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I had an overall positive experience here. The staff was friendly enough and the rooms were far better than should be expected in a motel. The granite countertops, in particular, were a nice touch. My only minor complaint about the room was that the coffee pot was not cleaned and had coffee in it from the previous day's guest. On the other hand, hotel coffee is so terrible that I don't think I missed anything.

One major complaint is the service at the on-site restaurant. I went in for lunch and sat at the bar when it was not particularly crowded, yet I was ignored and waited over ten minutes without even acknowledgement that I had arrived. Two girls, who looked too young to be working anywhere, smiled at me but didn't offer to help, while the only waitress in the room was chatting away with a customer. After I got tired of waiting, I walked to the cash register to complain on my way out; but no one noticed me there either, so I simply walked out and went to the Mason Jar restaurant down the street, where I had an excellent meal.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newland
Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk
#2 of 5 in Spruce Pine
Archer's Mountain Inn
Archer's Mountain Inn
#7 of 9 in Banner Elk

Been to The Shady Lawn Lodge? Share your experiences!