“Good Steady Fare-NOT GREAT”

Oak Island Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 60 Restaurants in Oak Island
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We needed to pick up lunch close to our motel and we stopped in here. I had read some reviews here but still was on a time/location crunch so Oak Island Restaurant it was. There were numerous elderly customers there and my wife pointed out that was likely a good sign of a decent local eating establishment.

We had a decent peaceful meal but I regret ordering the Flounder/Shrimp meal. The flounder had a disclaimer "may contain bones" that I wrongly assumed was a simple disclaimer for filets. No-they were heavily boned flounder that was NOT flavorful ("we are known for our flounder" an employee had told us...)

The server did a good job (I regret that I can't recall her name) and I would go back but not for the flounder. My thoughts on this restaurant for tourists is use it for lunch to avoid the overflowing parking lots at the higher rated places and stick to basic fares on the menu.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Went to visit friends in Oak Island NC and they told us of this restaurant that had the best flounder & great home cooking....So we decided to go & give it a try , we had a party of six. We got on the waiting list for a table & waited almost an hour , over hearing people placing take out orders there were a few items sold out...When we were finally seated we were told they had run out of roast beef , chicken tenders , pork chops , hot dogs , drink straws , lemons , coleslaw , white rice , tarter sauce , white bread , almost half the menu & it was only a little after 1pm...For the most part we all wanted flounder & shrimp.
When the food arrived it was very disappointing & the quality of the side items were terrible...Mashed potatoes were like cement , fried okra was the worst I ever tasted & the side salad was several leaves of lettuce with a slice of white onion & two or three small pieces of diced tomato...The fish was not as good as the last time I had Captain D's & the shrimp was not bad but there were so few they must have been close to running out of those , french fries & hush puppies because it was very very skimpy portions...
Other patrons around us were joking about when they were going to pay they were going to say they ran out of cash , some were going to ask for a discount because they felt rooked.
So after me paying are bill & my friends who recommended this apologizing to us for the lack of quality & service he mentioned to the cashier he was displeased & disappointed we then were leaving & the owner came out of the back door of the kitchen into the parking lot yell vulgar names at my friend & telling him to never return to her establishment...Well we definitely won't go back & hope anyone who reads this will not...

Reviewed 15 July 2014

VACATIONED ON Oak Island from July 4-12, 2014. We found Josephs in the local information booklet. We choose to eat here 2 nights in a row. From the bar to food service was top notch. Upon entering the bar Amanda greeted us with the utmost professionalism and smile. Her ability to make drinks and carry on a conversation with us was perfect.

Prior to entering the dining area we met Marquise or Quise as he is referred to by his peers. He engaged in conversations with us at the bar and his professionalism carried into the dining area. As we ordered you could see the place filling up. The food quality was very good and I would recommend to anyone looking for GREAT Italian American Food.

Upon leaving we were looking for a place to have dinner on the following day, so ewith the above mentioned review we choose Joseph's again....... We went with 8 ppl this time and we had our own private dining area. During dinner I had the opportunity to meet the owner as she was playing hostess that evening. After qe conversed for a while she excused herself to attend to other guest. Halfway through our meal we were joined at the table by her husband and co-owner as well. A perfect family and family run establishment.

During both evenings we learned that there is longevity here with employees. Amanda has been there 3.5 years, Marquise I believe 10 plus and other wait staff 12 plus.... this alone tells you something.

I highly recommend Josephs and will definitely revisit upon my return to Oak Island.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Please eat beef jerky from food lion first. First the good...................pork bbq is good.....now the bad, mostly everything else. The Shrimp cocktail was about 20 salad shrimp on a piece of lettuce. Actually the hush puppies were not bad. I would avoid this place! They close at 8pm!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We ended up here after discovering last minute that the restaurant we had originally planned on wasn't open. We had a group of ten, and I was a little worried about showing up without calling ahead. If you have a big group, don't even bother calling ahead- the restaurant cannot accommodate groups larger than seven. They don't have tables they can pull together, so we ended up having to split up into two groups of five, and the tables weren't even beside each other. That was disappointing, but not a huge problem, especially since we had just shown up without giving them notice.
The women at the front did not waste any smiles on us, that's for sure. It felt like we were imposing to even put our name on the list. Our server was friendly but clearly busy, visiting us once to take our orders and once to bring us our food. Little things that we needed (a cup of ranch, a to-go cup for the drink) just went unrequested. If you need anything, make sure you ask when your server is at the table.
The food was good- we all had fried seafood that was served hot with crinkle fries and really good hushpuppies. Tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, ketchup, and hot sauce are already on the table.